• attend scale modeling classes, or clubs

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • build the model (thanks Scott)

Votes: 15 57.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

THE NEW ONE

follow me on twitter @SpaceSavy
this is a second poll, trying to figure out where the forum is on building models. this poll is based on this you think you should do, want to do, or currently are doing. this is merely a people watching event, nothing special.

my last poll: http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/SMF/index.php/topic,11217.0.html

Good point, Scott. I spend too much time doing the first 2 items mentioned in the poll and not enough time doing what you suggest. ::)

I guess it depends on the quality of the blog, magazine, YouTube clip, video, club.
A lot of them are just reviews or techniques not well explained, if at all so like most learning it's all about finding the quality resources that work for you, and as Scott pointed out, actually taking the time to put them into practice.

I have to second Scott's post. There is no better way to improve your skills than by actually picking up a model and building/painting etc.

This is actually a bit of a tough question, and one that probably has many correct answers depending on the skills of who is asking it. While I fully agree that actually sitting down at the bench and putting the time in is more than likely the best way to improve, there are those who do put the time in but always take the same exact steps and go through the same exact motions each and every time. With that in mind, there will obviously be no 'improvement' if the builder never tries anything new or alters any part of their routine.

IMO the best way to improve is to try new things, or in many cases try to fix or work around something you may have 'done wrong'. Far too often I read "oh this happened so I scrapped it/put it back in the box/called it close enough/smashed it etc.", which teaches us absolutely nothing about improvement, learning to work around our mishap or correct our mistake. We risk doing the same exact thing on the next model and if we didn't teach ourselves how to work with it, we will simply repeat the same action and give up/shelve/destroy it. The best lessons I have ever learned in modeling over the years have come from pushing forward through that goof that I thought ruined the model and making it work in the end, it doesn't always work but at least seven times out of ten when it does, you experience a growth spurt in your skill set that will push you to another level of the craft.

The second best way to improve is to listen to and heed the advice of accomplished modelers. All to often I see great advice ignored or challenged, as if the person asking the advice is more interested in a debate, or proving that his method is just as good/better than he is in learning a skill, technique or method. Now I don't mean the guy with ten accounts on ten different forums and tens of thousands of posts talking about modeling, I mean the guy whose name you may recognize from his many completed models in different forms of media and the like. If someone whose body of work that you can actually see and study and decide that he has what it takes or not gives you advice, I'd recommend that you digest it very well and put it into practice. If you are fortunate enough to have the ear of someone whose work you admire, capitalize on that and keep the dialog going and practice what you have been told. By practice, I mean try it more than once and not simply shrugging it off as not working for you if you don't get stellar results the first try. Put in the time to figure out why it isn't working with you, experiment with it, ask more questions of that modeler. Don't just throw your hands up and give in, re-read the advice/article/thread etc. and work out what/where it went wrong.

These days it seems to me that most every modeler is on fast forward trying to learn all the best tricks and techniques before nailing down any of the fundamental basics. So many rush out to buy the latest book and newest paint set and most expensive airbrush thinking they now have the magic tools and simple steps in creating the same artwork found in that book, all the while disregarding the ten-twenty odd years of practice and learning that modeler put in before he was accomplished enough to write that book.

Here, here!
I'm with you Ken. You have to build that skill set, and that only comes with time and practice, practice, practice.
Listen to what those that know have to say and what they do. Don't be afraid to experiment and don't give up.
For those new to the hobby or returning after a long time, don't tackle the largest, most complex model, as your first subject, just because you love that model. I've seen way too many start something way beyond their skill set, get totally disillusioned and leave the hobby. Start with something easier and slowly work your way up. You can have that fantastic kit in you stash, but leave it there till your ready. It'll be there waiting for you.
Paramount, be patient, take your time, relax, this is not a race, it's a hobby, enjoy it.

Jim

Both Ken and Jim offer up very good advice.

As a teacher I see quite a few of the mistakes my students make in Ken's post. They are impatient, and just want a quick fix. I don't offer them that, but the tried and true way of actually learning the material. You cannot shortcut when learning sciences. It just doesn't work.

But I see them try it all the time. And their grades on exams reflect it.

Another thing, do go out and try new things. Last year I built a car for the spring contest. For the interior, and the engine I was fine, but the shiny paint was way over my head. I stripped that car body four times during the contest and just kept at it until I got a somewhat good result.

What did I do next? build another car. I can now do shiny paint! If you don't get it the first time, don't give up.

If you have watched my videos, I will sit down with five different types of putty and work on them on the same model until I find what I like. This is how you learn. By trial and mistakes. No mistakes no learning.

Here is what I have been following with Bibi:

Start off with something easy. I have been using SD Gundams. Snap kits, with 30 parts, she just did a HG gundam kit, over 200 parts.

These don't require paint, just patience to remove the part, clean it up and put it together. She is 7 so this also keeps her away from glue and paints until she is ready for it. She also has not used a knife as of yet.

The next step is a car kit with some paint. I have had her using the air brush with water color paints on paper, she is very familiar with it, but not with actual paint nor on a curved surface. She told me that she wants to learn that next. (And build a star wars kit....)

You can tell that I have a certain path in mind with Bibi, so that she will grow with the hobby without getting frustrated about it. But she is also a little girl and I don't expect her to continue with it later in life. Too many of the subjects are male orientated.....

The point to my post? Follow the advice that Ken and Jim offer, experiment, and try new things. I used pigments for the first time with my Cylon Raider and I can't be happier with the results.

This is kind of a real no brainer. You actually build models to get better at building them. Not that the info doesn't help, but it's only info. Info is fantastic and crucial, but has nothing to do with improving your own work. Quite simply, you need experience to improve. The only way to gain experience is to build. As Yoda said, 'Do or do not. There is no try.'
Consider it this way, you can watch all the Kung fu flicks you want, but it ain't gonna make you master until you put that info to PRACTICAL use. (Unless you're Neo and took the right colored pill. However, even he still needed to PRACTICE his newly gained information.)
So sure, read and watch everything that sparks your interest, but until you actually sit and do it with your own physical body, you gained only information.

In conclusion, go build a model. ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vMO3XmNXe4

I can I join you. I too have noticed Exercise is everything. Free master Miachi application , polishing. Learning and exercise is just everything. Wen you new techniques appropriates one must first clean it also grow and gain experience to be able to apply them properly. In the meantime we have to make so much beautiful products from many good manufacturers available to our hobby much easier.

Sure there are still old hands or lateral thinkers who can not do anything with the new stuff, and do not want to touch it, but I'm not from without migration, or AK ammo of Mig. And as for the advice and tips, man must also have to learn to use them and to accept. I know what I'm talking about, tips and advice I always ignore or not taken seriously. And so not very good models produced. I used to think they were great but now I keep my older stuff just for shotgun.

Sometimes must stop something else happen to it to save to list and redirect. For me, it was my girlfriend. When you was the quality of the work was by leaps and bounds and now increases with each model.

And then the out-of-the-box or detailing with etching parts, or the like is also dependent on how the experience level is and how you like it. I'm building lot Sratch work or Kitbashes. Here you must plan what should be created and not wild together clapping Yes well in advance. And a high number of Kit is doing her other (Greebels)

And the necessary experience can indeed be found in the net, 'example here. A good site really. And crept cally very important, only then operate the hobby whom you desire and time for has. On the fly that does not work, everything is already through.

Great answer Ken. The basic fundamentals have to be solid before any technique or product will work.

I'd like to add to this discussion one piece of advice....
don't waste your money joining those pay sites that offer you videos of builds and fill your head will all sorts of nonsence just to make you spend more money.
There are more than enough good build videos on YouTube and plenty of great modellers on forums like this one and a few more.
No one should have to pay for a modeling site or for videos on modeling done by guys who:

a- are not members of IPMS

b- do not compete in IPMS sanctioned shows

c- cannot even pronounce the names of the manufacturers correctly.

Instead of spending hours watching some guy go on about how great he is and constantly trying to sell you his products, just spend that time at the bench.
Build build build, and like Ken said, try new stuff.

Just as a quick follow up to this thread, I have to disagree with Black Sheep 1, purely because I've had a very different experience with Flory Models. Just like Ken mentioned earlier, I've tried to seek out experienced modelers and look to them for advice. While there is a lot of free material available on the web, I've found Phil's videos, techniques, and sections of his forum very helpful. I've also found his sanding products to be amazing to work with, the washes, they have great uses in aircraft but I haven't had luck with them on any armor. I'm not saying as a new modeler, or someone trying to improve your skills, that you need to go out and buy all his product and subscribe to his site but don't be afraid to check things out for yourself. If you like something go with it, if not move on to the next thing.

adampolo13 said:
Just as a quick follow up to this thread, I have to disagree with Black Sheep 1, purely because I've had a very different experience with Flory Models. Just like Ken mentioned earlier, I've tried to seek out experienced modelers and look to them for advice. While there is a lot of free material available on the web, I've found Phil's videos, techniques, and sections of his forum very helpful. I've also found his sanding products to be amazing to work with, the washes, they have great uses in aircraft but I haven't had luck with them on any armor. I'm not saying as a new modeler, or someone trying to improve your skills, that you need to go out and buy all his product and subscribe to his site but don't be afraid to check things out for yourself. If you like something go with it, if not move on to the next thing.

To add to that, while I don't subscribe to his page, I do watch the free show he puts out on a weekly basis.

While he does show his own products, I wouldn't say that he "pushes" them on anyone, never have I seen the free show be just an advertisement for pushing his own products, I don't know about the videos that are members only, but then again, how does that make him any different than some magazines and other YT videos out there that are associated with a certain product line.

As far as pronunciation goes, people pronounce things differently in different countries, doesn't make them right or wrong, just makes it different.

I enjoy the free vids he puts out, I even have one of his washes, which work as advertised that I use now and again. Nothing wrong with that site in my book, but I am just one opinion.

Having said that, I don't think I would ever pay to be a member just to get to the member only portion of the site, and the vids, but that's just me, and not because I think it is a waste of money, but for me, I am on countless other sites (but mostly this one) adding another that I would have to "pay to play" would just take more time away from other things, so for me personally, it would be a waste. The flip side, it's only $5 a month (I think) which isn't much for the content he has.

adampolo13 said:
I'm surprised it took this long for someone to come out and defend that guy.
I'm not going to go into detail about my feelings for that guy because I know I'll be chastised by all his loving followers.
Sufice it to say,I did (once) find his videos, shall we say... informative.
It was after I left his site that I realized that YouTube has many informative and very helpful videos from modeller with
higher credentials than him.
Since you mentioned his forum (I guess then that it's alright to mention others) I will mention ISM (International Scale Modeller).
There are several build videos posted by the Staff and it's free.
I'll say it again (and I stand by my statement) no one should have to pay for good modelling videos or forums.

Black Sheep 1 said:
adampolo13 said:
I'm not going to go into detail about my feelings for that guy because I know I'll be chastised by all his loving followers.
It was after I left his site that I realized that YouTube has many informative and very helpful videos from modeller with
Since you mentioned his forum (I guess then that it's alright to mention others) I will mention ISM (International Scale Modeller).
I'll say it again (and I stand by my statement) no one should have to pay for good modelling videos or forums.

Not sure what I said that made you think I was a "loving follower." I simply offered an alternate opinion of Phil's site and paying for videos and forums. In fact I did agree that there is plenty of content available that doesn't cost money. But in the spirit of the discussion, I urged people to make up their own minds about what they find helpful etc. in my experience, I've found nothing wrong with paying for content. What is different about buying a magazine vs. watching a YouTube video. If I want to pay to see how Ken weathered something, what's wrong with that? Are people not allowed to make a living. Again, I've found plenty of "pay to play" material useful and I urge everybody to test things out for themselves.

adampolo13 said:
Not sure what I said that made you think I was a "loving follower." I simply offered an alternate opinion of Phil's site and paying for videos and forums. In fact I did agree that there is plenty of content available that doesn't cost money. But in the spirit of the discussion, I urged people to make up their own minds about what they find helpful etc. in my experience, I've found nothing wrong with paying for content. What is different about buying a magazine vs. watching a YouTube video. If I want to pay to see how Ken weathered something, what's wrong with that? Are people not allowed to make a living. Again, I've found plenty of "pay to play" material useful and I urge everybody to test things out for themselves.
I wasn't referring to you (unless you're going to chastise me for not liking that guy).
Anyway, I don't want to turn this thread into a "me vs that guy" thread.

adampolo13 said:
Black Sheep 1 said:
adampolo13 said:

Never thought of it that way. Basically a "video magazine".

People buy magazines for the very same reason he does his videos, and the mags have advertising.

Wouldn't consider myself a "loving supporter" since I don't "pay to play" on his site, just watch the freebie vids, and there is always some good info to learn and take away from.

Black Sheep 1 said:
no one should have to pay for good modelling videos or forums.

But no does have to, as you said there is plenty of free stuff on youtube and forums for those who prefer not to but if anyone would like to, they can and there isn't anything wrong with that.

I'm pretty sure Scott pays or paid for a subscription to Phil's site/videos and says it's a good value for the money.

People don't have to pay for skating lessons, or guitar lessons, or sculpting lessons, or skiing lessons but it sure does help some people advance well in their chosen hobby to a point where they can enjoy it in the way they like.

No one should have to pay for modeling videos in the same way that no one should have to give away their talents/skills for free.

Latest posts

Back