Hobby Link Japan (HLJ)

errains

I know HLJ is a sponsor here on SMA 8) I'm getting ready to place my first order with them and was wondering if there is anything I should know before I do. Also about how long will it take for my goodies to arrive in my hot little hands ;D

THX Dudes 8)

You should look to see if what you're ordering is available here first (check Sprue Brothers, Squadron, ECH, Red Frog Hobbies, etc).
HLJ's pricing is a little high and the shipping alone is quite high.

For example, lets look at Revell 1/32 He-219 A-7 Uhu:

Sprue Brothers: $52.49 +$7.61 shipping UPS Ground

HLJ: $103.93 + $45.03 shipping EMS

So check the locals first.

Well of course kits from manufacturers that aren't in Japan will cost more on HLJ. They have to import them before they can sell them. What you really want to look at is the price of kits and accessories of Asian manufacturers in which the prices will likely be cheaper. They also carry products that most NA sites don't carry. Of course shipping will be more, but it will likely be worth it. The same goes with LuckyModel.

I still advise to search locally first.
Even if the item is cheaper but the shipping turns out to be $10.00 more.....
I would also check ebay as well.

The only advantage I see of buying from them is that new kits are released earlier there.

I agree that local is good, and we should always support local hobby shops when we can.
But I have done a number orders from HLJ and I find the pricing very good, especially as mentioned for Japanese manufactured kits.
Shipping options will dicatate delivery times, the cheapest option will take a couple of weeks possibly more, the more expensive the shipping the quicker it will arrive.
The goods are always really well packaged.

My best tip is to use the private warehouse to grab sale items and then play with your shipments as by adding and removing items to get the maximum in a box.
I have saved quite a bit on shipping that way.

I buy from HLJ all the time, and yes your want to use it to get Japanese and some Asian brands which will be much cheaper. No store in Europe that I know of can compete with HLJ's prices on kits from japanese brands even after I add in shipping and customs. Can't really comment on American stores.

i don't like HLJ pricing on shipping is Crazy and there not very cheap, i can get some of the same stuff from luckymodel with free shipping and cheaper. and there snail mail is way slower than the free shipping from LM

spud said:
i don't like HLJ pricing on shipping is Crazy and there not very cheap, i can get some of the same stuff from luckymodel with free shipping and cheaper. and there snail mail is way slower than the free shipping from LM

It's not HLJ pricing, it's Japan Post pricing. You can check the rates over at http://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/charge/list/index_en.html .

Lucky model being from hong kong is playing with very diferent rules.

spud ive been reluctant to buy from lucky do you get stung with a load of import and custom charges.....

geegad said:
spud ive been reluctant to buy from lucky do you get stung with a load of import and custom charges.....

nope. declare a low invoice value and have it marked as a gift this avoids it, ive never got stung with it.

I agree with Blacksheep. I buy from HobbyLink, but I order things that I can't get from vendors here in the States. I have a similar situation with a German store that sells figures. They have always carried modeling supplies, and they have added model kits and toy soldiers like King & Country to their catalog. I don't buy those things from them, though, because I can get them here and eliminate shipping charges.

I've had no problems with HLJ, though. Shipping can be pricey, true, but it can be pricey from New York to New Jersey, too, it all depends. I recommend ordering from them.

HLJ is a top notch outfit. It takes about 2 weeks to get a package from there to the US using reasonable mail. As others said though, it's kinda dumb to buy kits from HLJ that they have to import unless you don't mind spending money.

Hey Thanks everyone great advice. 8) What I'm after is a good selection of Kamizukuri "LAZER" cut paper plants for an upcoming project. I was going to order them off the TASCA Site but they closed their on-line ordering process, Not sure what that is all about. :-[ HLJ is the only source I have been able to find that have a good inventory of Kamizukuri products. I'll double check Lucky Models again before I do. :)

And THX Spud on the tip for getting around the import tax. ;D

Either way great discussion on ordering from the PAC Rim THX again!!

errains said:
And THX Spud on the tip for getting around the import tax. ;D

As far as import tax, for us in the US there is none.
I've ordered from Luck Models many times and never deal with impot tax.
There is no Customs tax on toys in the US.

Latest posts

Back