Hitachi Construction Mech kitbash

Photon

This is a project I’ve been quietly working on (and off) in the background during the past year

It’s a sort of chance meeting on an operating table between a sewing machine and an umbrella, or in this case, between a 1:35 scale Hitachi Zaxis excavator and a couple of Gundam kits. It’s based on a model that I saw on a Japanese social media site a couple of years ago by a modeler called “Surume0407”. You can see his work here: <https://twoucan.com/profile/surume0407>

spacer.png

I really liked it and wanted to try to make my own version, but while the use of the Hasegawa excavator kit was obvious, I had no idea what kits were used for the robot bits. I bought the excavator kit, figuring it would be fun to build regardless if I attempted the kit bash or not. Some time later, while looking at pictures of other people’s models on the web (a hobby in itself), I recognized some of the major bits in a photo of a Gundam ‘Graze’ figure. And with that, I was off to the races.

spacer.png

This will be a fast one, so I’ll let the pictures do the talking. Hang on, there's a years worth of work squished into one post.

The chassis was 3D printed out of polystyrene. It took a few tries to get proportions that I liked. This shows the underside. The white tubes are attachment points for the rear legs.

spacer.png

The feet are 1:35 tank wheels and some styrene tube. 5/32” is close enough to 4mm that it seems to work ok with the Gundam poly-caps. I had to add some Tamiya putty in some cases to tune the fit.

spacer.png

Leg armour squared off with epoxy putty to somewhat reduce their ‘gundamosity’.

spacer.png

The extension for the counterweight was modeled in Fusion 360 and printed in polystyrene.

spacer.png

I was unable to identify several of the armour pieces, so I decided to make my own. Here's the prototype sheet styrene knee armour and the printed final.

spacer.png

Scratchbuilt a new piece for the top of the shear to match the size of the one on the claw and to make room for the Gundam ball attachment.

spacer.png

The manipulators were made from a combination of the 1/144 scale leg and arm parts.

spacer.png

The main Gundam torso was glued to a printed stryrene bar that fit into a groove in the chassis

spacer.png

spacer.png

I busied up the sides of the chassis with some kit parts.

spacer.png

spacer.png

So here are most of the parts laid out. All that needs to be done at this point is prime and assemble.

spacer.png

Primer

spacer.png

A lot of the original Hitachi parts are not glued to make painting easier, so everything is a bit precarious at this stage. All of the Gundam points of articulation are still functional, making posing this thing rather difficult (Much respect to Mr. Ray Harryhausen).

spacer.png

spacer.png
Thanks for looking.
Next up final assembly, paint, decals, and weathering.

Thanks!

I managed to get everything base coated and chipped. The chips are out of scale in some cases, but overall I’m pleased. I had a really hard time getting the orange laid down with any opacity. I had this problem before with another brands of orange and I’m starting to think orange acrylic might be one of those problem colors. In both cases, Vallejo Model Air, and now Mission Models orange spray very thin with poor coverage. My experience with Mission paint up until now has been very positive. In any case, I’m going to let everything sit for a few days to cure, then start decals and weathering.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Wow! Outstanding stuff. I really need to get myself up to speed with CAD and 3d printers. That is amazingly good.

Impressive, MOST impressive! What kits make up this Frankenstein's Monster? Looks like some Modelcollect WW2 Mecha and a basic Hitachi front loader...

Latest posts

Back