hey yall - an apology

Just Mike

I just up and quit everything modeling related when I had my episode the other night. I just wanted to apologize to everyone involved and say a big thank you to Scott who saw that I was withdrawing to ask if I was okay.

Fact is, I am okay. I just get so damn frustrated when I do what I see you all doing and can't. Being bipolar doesn't help much either. Been a long time since I've been manic. Not saying I was the other night but pretty close.

I guess I have two choices: to remain modeling and learn everything I can or just quit and find a new hobby altogether.

Anyone have any input?

Going to be honest, Mike.
First off, I was concerned when you left like that. Very concerned. Glad to know it wasn't something far more serious.

Now, to the modelling thing.
I'll be happy to offer any suggestions I can in helping you improve your skills.
I can't speak for all of us m but I know that what skills I have took years to develop, and I'm still learning.
One thing this hobby takes is the willingness to see at least a couple of models turn out "less than satisfactory." The key is to take what went wrong on them, and learn how not to do it again.
I've been doing this for 30+ years and "still" have screwups like glue/fingerprints on canopies.

We're here to help.

Stick with it JM. This is one of the best hobbies to get involved with. It's a fantastic source of ideas and inspiration and the people you'll meet on the forums are just great.

I started model making when I was about 4. ;D Which means I got a model kit from an uncle or someone for my birthday...and sat there watching as my eldest brother put it together for me ::) ;D. Been hooked ever since - although I did stop doing anything model related for about 10 years due to sailing, beer and girls. Yet after all these years (I'm 43 now) I am still crap at figure painting, have never gloss coated a model before applying decals (but know to now thanks to forums like this) and have never been 100% happy with a model I've made.

For me the best part of modeling is the planning (well, sometimes I mange to) and the actual making of the model. Painting is always a slightly dreaded part of the process although I love the weathering afterwards. I'm still learning and getting better and just can't imagine not doing it any more. That 10 year gap was fun...but I missed the modeling all that time. Now I'm back into it and learning almost from scratch again. It's hard...but it's great when I see something done by someone else and have one of those "Ah! That's the way to do it"! moments.

Stick with it mate, and just chug along as you can and as you please. It will all come together one day for sure. ;)
Noddy.

I really don't think you need to apologize to anyone.

The first question you have to ask yourself is this: Does building models make you happy? If so, then there is part of your answer.

The next question is what can you do to make it better? From your post in chit chat it looks like you have found the right direction. A tutor would be helpful, or just find a club that does group builds.

Another way is to start with something simple. Build your skill set up slowly and take your time. Rome was not built in a day and neither are models. Take a look at the work in progress post. No one gets these things done over night. Well, not if you want something that looks good. (Unless you are Java, that man has some serious fast model skills and his builds always look great! He is the exception, not the rule.)

Get yourself a Gundam kit. They go together fast, they are very well engineered, and you can hand paint them. I am going to post a video of my first Gundam sometime today.

When you feel the frustration building, just walk away for a while. That was a lesson I learned when I was very young. Come back to it the next day. I was putting up trellises in my back yard today and it started to go bad. The first thing I did was pack up the tools and go inside. It will be there tomorrow and I don't get all frustrated with it and break something.

When you walk away, post something on the forum. Most people will answer your post, but give them time, with the contest running, focus is there so the other threads are being neglected a bit. If I have the knowledge to answer your question, I will.

John

Very good advice.

I too get overwhelmed and at time impose huge high expectations on myself - not just with model building.

One step at a time, one skill at a time - that's all anyone can do.

i don't know you and your modelling but reading of your frustration reminded me of my own frustration when i looked at far superior builds and how much i wanted to throw every kit i built at the wall!

the only suggestion i can give you is to watch, observe, ask, ask a lot, ask even more and try out! don't try to learn all techniques at once but try them out one after the other!

it's slow, it's tedious but it's the only way to learn!

don't be afraid of messing up a kit! put one kit aside and use it as new techniques training object and if you don't want to sacrifice a kit as training subject don't be afraid of using the new learned!

the knowledge is here - all you have to do is to ask and i'm sure that enough more experienced modellers will answer!

thanks seven.

Just that every time I mess up a kit, it's, "there goes $30" or however much the kit was.

I am constantly asking questions - look at my threads. I send alot, I mean alot of PMs to people asking how they achieve their finishes or build a certain part. I take notes when I watch videos - I circle stuff in magazines and rip it out. I try stuff on kits that don't mean much to me or a 'beware of dog sign' or whatever. I've spent hours getting gunk out of my airbrush after a fail...

My point is just that it's about having fun during the process of learning - but there is learning to do. Don't put pressure on yourself to be a pro - the guys on here that end up with really great builds have spent years (not weeks or months)...years making mistakes.

Not to point anyone out but take Rob (scratchmod) for instance. Beautiful rusted tanks...he's been working on that one (well it's a few) technique for ten, 10 - yes 10 years. Think about that and don't stress.

Just Mike said:
thanks seven.

Just that every time I mess up a kit, it's, "there goes $30" or however much the kit was.

we don't make mistakes, we just have happy little accidents!

look at it that way and that you always can go back to the kit after your skills have improved!

hang tough there!

Hang in there buddy! Practice and patience. Remember there is nothing that cannot be fixed, especially when it come to plastic. Filler, backing panels, welding, it go on and on. There is a great deal of help on this site, even better, they are willing to help. If a section is bugging you, go on to something else for a bit and come back to it. Posting a question or even better, a pic of where your having a issue and you can almost hear the minds at work ;). You don't need to apologize for anything.

Here if you have question! ;D

Lol mike, whatever makes you happy, if you love the hobby, stay with it, at times, i've been frustrated and thrown my model at the floor. Not a good idea, but you learn from it, and though by no means do I think my models are perfect (or anywhere near it for that matter ;)) I still am willing to learn, to take the advice from everyone on SMA and the internet. If you want to keep with it, do. If you don't, don't. No one will think any less of you (will you people...) So, whatever, but it would be a shame to see you go... :'(

Latest posts

Back