help with auto paint

javelin7369

OKay I am in a conundrum or whatever the proper phrase is. For christmas I got a 1960's style batmobile and a 68 mustang model. These are great models...the problem I haven't done a Auto model in YEARS and I forgot a lot about them I am trying to figure out the best way to get a high gloss paint scheme going on the bodies. THE ISSUE IS my airbrush is gone (long story short I had a storage spot that got broken into and I lost my airbrush.) and I now live in North Dakota where it's getting colder so I can't do a lot of spraying because of my apart complex. So question is what is the best high gloss clear coat I should use to achieve this high gloss effect. Any suggestions would be great thanks.

I have had great results from Future floor polish now marketed by Pledge, (Johnson's Klear in Europe) this is a clear acrylic. I would experiment with a couple of old models first, It can be sprayed with a airbrush, brushed on, or added to a paint pot to "gloss" a regular color, TRY them out individually before you commit to your project and see whats best for you. Any clear coat in my experience tend to be temperature and moisture sensitive. Future is self leveling but get in the habit of applying it and leaving it the heck alone for a while, fingerprints in "tacky" future can blemish a otherwise good finish, you can sometimes fix it with another application. One advantage of Future is it is water soluble for clean up. I tend to airbrush future on a military model before decals and pin washes as the smooth surface helps eliminate air bubbles under decals.

I would agree with Jeep ,I use the Johnsons Klear myself ,you can lay it up in coats and the best thing is because its actually a polish it reacts really well to a good buff up with a soft cloth ;)

Chris.

Latest posts

Back