Help Me Choose

Tnfishdaddy

I have no one locally to go look at so I will be ordering from the Internet. I am looking for a gravity fed dual action airbrush and compressor. I want to keep it under $300-350 for everything. So what do I need? Any other accessories i need to order while i am at it? I am looking at ordering Vallejo paints. I don't mind spending a little money since I have learned that trying to be cheap can cost more in the long run sometimes.

the Krome is the Doggys, and thats a really good Price

Thanks everyone. Next question. I have a 50+year old compressor that was in my grandfathers garage. It is huge and noisy but it should work. Just not sure what all I would need to use it. Moisture trap? Adaptors?

You can use it, but I would leave it in the garage. Plum an air line, using metal pipe of some sort, to where You model at. You will need a moisture trap,and away to adjust pressure at Your workbench so You do not have to run back and forth. A good pressure gauge so you know how much You are spraying at.

Or buy a new compressor that has all that in one unit, and is made for airbrushing.

I use a 5 gallon portable compressor at this time. I added a Moisture trap, and use the pressure adjustment that came with it to set air pressure for spraying. As I am using an old airbrush that is a siphon feed, it takes way more pressure to draw the paint. When I get the Krome, I will have to add better air control, pressure gauge. Since I have a 1000 square foot Man cave, I can put up with the noise it makes recharging the tank, as a 5 gallon tank takes a long time to drain before the compressor starts.

In the end there are lots of ways to set up an air supply system for Your airbrush.

Hope My 2 cents worth helps.

Greg

I would not mess around with your grandfathers compressor...you can regulate back the pressure but it's not designed for running airbrushes and the like. The controls are not that finite. It's designed for running air grinders to cut steel welds and tubes and strip off rusted bolts with beefy impact wrenches hard enough to break your wrists. You miss on dialing in on the air pressure and you could have your gun destroy itself or worse....blow out the botton of a glass paint feed while you are holding it. Like using a chainsaw to cut your dinner steak.

Go with a compressor that is desinged for this application. Its safe and that's the most important thing. It's safe..and you and your family will be too around it. Safety bro....

The Krome is a really nice airbrush for detail work. But, the needle and nozzle are very delicate. I really feel the Patriot is a better airbrush for general modeling, especially if it is your first airbrush. It will do pretty fine lines, and is super easy to care for. There are reviews of both on my site.

Don

For a nice duel action gravity feed airbrush I can highly recommend a Iwata Eclipse HP-CS. Well made and very easy to clean. If you have a Hobby Lobby near you can purchase one with the 40% off coupon for about $120 US dollars and some change, mine also came with an inline water trap and 3 bottles of Com-Art illustrating paints to practice with.

If you're on a budget, I suggest an Iwata Neo or a Badger 100. Both are good double action airbrushes. Also Paasche has some inexpensive airbrush compressors.

JMac said:
If you're on a budget, I suggest an Iwata Neo or a Badger 100. Both are good double action airbrushes. Also Paasche has some inexpensive airbrush compressors.

Very true JMac and if you go to Hobby Lobby with the 40% off coupon you can get the gravity feed Neo for around $38 dollars and change. Plus the Neo comes with the same 5 year warranty that my Eclipes has. That being said, remember that the Neo is not made by Iwata. It's made for Iwata by a Chinese company and there is some cost saving factors in the manufacturing with materials and design. I own a Neo to and it's not a bad airbrush at all, the Eclipse just seems easier to clean when I need to take it apart and feels better in my hand when spraying with it.

I'll chime in with - if you have a Michaels near your home - you can use thier 40% coupon on grab an AMERICAN MADE Patriot with a hose for under $100. Or you can use the 40% off on a TC910 compressor, and get the Patriot with the hose within your indicated budget.

Here's your coupon. :)

http://weeklyad.michaels.com/

KenBadger said:
I'll chime in with - if you have a Michaels near your home - you can use thier 40% coupon on grab an AMERICAN MADE Patriot with a hose for under $100. Or you can use the 40% off on a TC910 compressor, and get the Patriot with the hose within your indicated budget.

Here's your coupon. :)

http://weeklyad.michaels.com/

Alot of times, Michaels will run a 50% off coupon as well. Also if your at the store and load the Michaels website on your cellular phone and click on the coupon tab it will bring up the 50% coupon even though the weekly add isnt showing it as available. This past weekend I went to Michaels, got some stuff, pulled the coupons up to get the 40% off coupon code and there just happened to be a 50% off coupon code. So I went back and got some more stuff to use the other 40% coupon and the clerk allowed me to utilize the 50% off coupon TWO times :)

I prefer Paasche's. Bullet proof reliabilty and Made in the USA. I have 3 VL's two of them are 20 years old and still working flawleslly. Only maintanace I've done to them ( besides cleaning )were replacing the air valve and triggers to the new style. Only reason I changed them was after buying a new VL I really like the way the air valve and trigger felt compared to the my older two. I also have a single action H I use for larger less criticle paint jobs. But.......My new favorite is My TG Talon. It's a gravity feed, and sprays awesome. Wonderful control, sprays beautifly, extremely versatile, and easy to clean and change tip and needle sizes. Even came with a fan spray air cap for wider spray patterns. You can get into a VL /compress set for $350.00 or less, and a TG/compressor set for $375 or less. I've had a Badger 100, and an AZTEC resin body and both of them made their way to garage sale table long ago. Just my preference! ;)

Latest posts

Back