Hedges

ridgers22

metal up your ass
Hey im building a 1/35 dio and want a hedge in it i have no idea where to start.. And tips?

Wow i would never though of that in a million years.. Thanks. .. And my uncle robert gets called bob so i sort of have an uncle bob haha

I think steel wool wouldn't look right in that scale; it'll still look like steel wool. 1/35 is large enough that you'd want to see the branches and foliage of the hedge itself. I'd try products designed for model railroads, like Woodland Scenics. You might also try the various kinds of lichen that are dried and sold for this purpose.

Or I'd use actual roots from my yard, with some white glue applied to the branch work and tea leaves applied for foliage. Here is a small example of the root-and-tea-leaves technique, in a toy soldier application:

PuchalaJagerfront.jpg

This is a Prussian Jäger from the Seven Years War, in 54mm (1/32).

PuchalaJagerside.jpg

The bush is a piece of a evergreen root (arborvitae, juniper or yew, don't recall which), rinsed and dried. This piece happened to have a piece of stem attached, which you can see as a trunk or thick branch on the base. I applied some thinned white glue to the "branches" and then sprinkled dried tea leaves over it, shaking off the excess (I drink a lot of black tea, so for a week or two, I saved the bags, let the tea dry thoroughly, and packed it in a jar for this kind of use).

Hope that helps!

Latest posts

Back