hawkenstien 3......

This build is looking really good. I have been looking in from time to time and I am impressed

jmac apologies for the late response. many thanks for the kind words.

joe

well after two weeks here i am again.

the better part of the time without updates was spent working on engine detailing.

please bear with me. first off was lots of fiddly bits and small tube white stuff. plug wires, tubes, etc were fashioned. then the main sticky point, the induction manifold. this is a pretty complex little part that looks oh so simple. yeah right. took me several tries before i got to this point. this is about the closest i have been to it. working off of a few pictures i cut and trimmed then cut, then trimmed, then cut, then got frustrated, then pulled myself back, then cut, well you get the point. i have tried multiple ways to do this but am really struggling with it.

well pictures tell a better story. this has not been painted yet.

engine-5_zps929638e9.jpg

engine-7_zpsb59009ef.jpg

engine-6_zpsc861d565.jpg

engine-9_zpse7d8e801.jpg

engine-8_zps9f145fdd.jpg

right now this is held together by white glue. i need to clean it up a little. like i said earlier this the the best i have had so far.

so with that said, fire way.

all comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

joe

well it will be brief this time.

spent some time in the bunker over the last couple of days and have something to show for it.

pardon the pics. white on white plays havoc with my camera.

firewall work has commenced with some success.

firewall-4_zpsf043c9c7.jpg

firewall-3_zps714e5fb1.jpg

firewall-2_zpsa2041011.jpg

firewall-1_zps4fa8732e.jpg

and how she looks with the engine mocked up. (repainting the engine as well)

firewall-5_zpsf8954537.jpg

firewall-6_zpsd6328a23.jpg

firewall-7_zps02f637d6.jpg

firewall-8_zps1aa4d6be.jpg

notice i have also added a very rough carb to the engine. and wouldnt you know it i finally stumbled across the picture of the manifold i was looking for. not going to redo this time.

joe

well tis another brief update.

first the big oops that happened. all the way through i had measured, dry fit, measured, dry fit, etc. you get the picture. well when i went to do a final run through with pit and engine together i found to my horror i was about a half inch too long. after much cursing and a strong urge to make the current work a powder with blunt object i made several mistakes. first i cut the motor mounts at the firewall. big mistake and even bigger no no. messed up the firewall and broke off a couple pieces. next big mistake, try to force it. another huge no no. again with the broken pieces. next up was to try to fix my mess up with the cuts. made it worse for the firewall. so after much back tracking and fixing the royal mess i made of what i had done i finally got the broken pieces back in place and tried to mend the firewall a bit. well after all of that i come to tonight. some pictures of the engine in place on the pit and within the fuse. i believe it will fit in the fuse now but still not entirely sure of it.

so here it is.

engine-mocked-3_zps8f823505.jpg

engine-mocked-2_zps59b2cf71.jpg

engine-mocked-1_zps6d63bd1c.jpg

after taking the pics i decided the best way to tackle this paint job is to paint around the cuts prior to closing the fuse. this way i can not worry about overspray on the interior pieces. using acrylics, life color. had to remix it a couple of times before i got a decent spray through the brush. then found another major issue. seems somewhere along the way i had glued a small piece of sheet styrene to the side of the fuse and completely missed it. going to have to sand the area and respray yet again.

what a messed up week.

all in all it shouldnt be bad but i am disappointed in that i had to do surgery on it and then in doing that i messed up a couple of parts.

lets see what i can mess up next shall we.

joe

jake you are very kind. thank you.

small but rather significant.

the fuse sides are now joined, seams sanded, flat black sprayed, and then a first. using life color acrylics. god they are tempermental. holy crap. had to repaint dang near the entire fuse again after i made the mistake of handling it after a couple of days.

here is where i sit right now.

fuse-1_zpscca4ed34.jpg

fuse-2_zps782502ea.jpg

and something different. and truly not sure where i am going with this. the tail radio connection.

tail-radio-mast_zpscccf9ccc.jpg

not sure where i am going with that as i am not sure if i am going with one of the wires to the wing or both wires. not sure of that as i havent sorted out the wings yet. not sure what i am doing with them. full wing or one as just the framing. still thinking about this.

so for now that is all.

joe

well here i am again with a small update.

after two weeks of work ended in frustration i went to work again and came up with the skeleton for the starboard wing. i started with a cheat of sorts. i have built this kit before and in the box of builds that didnt make the moves i found the lower wing as well as the upper wings. i reglued them and then sliced them to get a profile for the spars. i then traced them out, gut them out, glued them to the cut wing parts with white glue, sanded them to the appropriate shape, and then assembled them with the wingtip to fuse spars. mind you these are in no way, shape, or form perfect. i am sure they are not 100% accurate but close enough for me. they are not square either. this is something that i can, to be honest, live with.

so the starboard wing skeleton.

wing-1_zps8a96b0c8.jpg

wing-2_zps8e04f8a7.jpg

wing-3_zpsa8aea34b.jpg

used the kit wingtop to try to get the overall shape correct.

next up is to try to fashion the wing mounted gun assembly, the cable and pulley system for the flaps, the wingtip lights, and the fuel tank. thinking the upper wing will be cut on frame inward of the skeleton and the lower one frame outward of the wheel well.

what do you think of this. if it dont work i will be using the full wing and go that route.

joe

now for the news.

this has taken a bit of a change. there will be no skeleton wing for this bird. as much as i wanted it, my skill set at this time wont allow it. so on to plan b.

this morning i began by trying to get the skeleton wing to work. try as i may all i ended up with was frustration. after a couple of hours of cussing and such i went with the suggestion of cutting the wing without redoing the entire wing. so out came the blades, the dremel, and the sandpaper. the cut was made, sorry no pic of just the cut. then out came the files and the sandpaper and i went about trying to clean up the mess. i then started with boxing out the ammo bin. now mind you this is, i am more than sure, not accurate. i am however moving forward with it. i then began to try to fashion some ammo crates, again these are not accurate, i am more than positive i just couldnt get the right shape for the pic i have nor the room that would allow the belts to feed the guns. i then moved onto the set of .303's in the wing. now these although not perfect are a large step up from the kit parts.

all told was a pretty long day in the bunker with really not much to show for it.

first up the .303's.

wing-guns-1_zpsac82db37.jpg

wing-guns-2_zpsfc259acf.jpg

wing-guns-4_zps35bb355e.jpg

wing-guns-3_zpsfeb6ce06.jpg

now for the overall. this is why i am actually pretty happy to move forward.

wing-5_zps4707b5b7.jpg

wing-4_zps1518383d.jpg

now unless the mood strikes me to redo the ammo boxes i plan to get some color on this and then move on to the next step.

joe

well another update with a few extra pictures.

work focused on the brownings for the starboard wing. i also repopped the ammo box. all in all the brownings are over 30 pieces each. they both have the cables for the remote triggers.

the brownings painted and installed.

wing-guns-7_zpseee8b0cc.jpg

wing-guns-9_zpseee59ace.jpg

wing-guns-8_zps3bc7a571.jpg

the ammo box

wing-guns-5_zpsde3bf22a.jpg

wing-guns-6_zpsc41a41b3.jpg

this more closely resembles the pictues i have found.

now the overall. mind you the wing is taped for effect.

wing-guns-10_zps8059ee80.jpg

wing-guns-11_zpse57fec56.jpg

with that i may try to piece together a small resemblance of the rounds. will have to see about that.

overall i am pretty happy with this. the gun body is glued in. the barrel is removable so i can fit the wing and do any filling and sanding without causing issues.

now please, comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

joe

Latest posts

Back