Halinski 1/33 KI-84

Fruit

Hey guys, hopefully I'll be able to get this one done before the Spring Contest, :)

Anyways, I'll be documenting my build of Halinski's KI-84. There's 7 pages of instruction diagrams, 1 page of translated English instructions + the KI-84's history, 2 pages of full formers, and 5 pages of model parts. I don't know the exact parts count, but it's somewhere between 500-700 or so.

The print is superb! This will be my first Halinski, so I'm really queasy!

Quick update, forgive the poor picture quality, I got excited and took these with poor lighting (It's night time :))

I spent a total of 2 hours of cutting today, and low and behold, I've not even cut one piece completely! ;D I would keep trekking through the night, but the former on the far left (the one with the nice half curve) strained my right hand while cutting.

Box + penny for scale. I actually cut these parts earlier today, but I have yet to build them as I lack Tamiya thinner for retouching the edges - so that will be for tomorrow.

Should have a few more frames and that box done soon :D

Hey guys, I managed to put in a good number of hours into the KI-84 this weekend. I was going to wait and update once I completed the cockpit frames, but what the hey ;D

Here are the majority of the parts labeled W1a-o. I laminated the original pieces to 1mm cardboard.

(And with a little pixie dust and elbow grease...

We magically have dry fit frames! ::)) Halinski kits are praised for their level of accuracy, detail, and attention to parts fit. No glue, and the frames are stuck together as if there were glued. I am loving this kit!

Another view - I did leave out some cuts for frame slots, but I'll get back to those later. I didn't do any touchups, such as painting the edges and some sand work, but those steps will be saved for when I get closer to finishing all the frames for the cockpit.

For those who don't know what they're looking at, this is what these sections will eventually look like. The picture is taken straight from the instruction diagrams for the cockpit.

And a preview of what's to come. There's a ton of tiny parts, and I'm excited to build each one!

Until next time ;D

Thanks Q!

It's definitely a challenge worthy to make one weep at the parts count, I mean, the engine alone has 200+ parts. :eek:

(Good thing I bought some laser cut frames for my next Halinski build, though I don't consider it cheating :p)

These are really fun to build, though frustrating at many, many times.

Great stuff Fruit!!! Nice challenge!!! Looking forward to following along on this one!! ;)

Wow! Your a braver man than me, Friut. Great Start and good luck!

Thanks guys!

Nothing to show right now, but I'm going to be painting the formers a bit and gluing them up. Then I'll get to start on the cockpit!

:eek: wow Fruit this is amazing and this is one of these paper kits?

Thanks Spud - this is one of those paper kits :D

I expected to get a bit more work on the cockpit this weekend, but things didn't turn out that way. I managed to glue up the W1 Cockpit formers, but I still have to make the IP frames :(.

It doesn't look like much of an update, but I used a fair amount of glue to get to this part. It was also my first time using Tamiya paints for edge painting. I'm still not sure if I'll continue using the cheapo acrylics I had before or switch to Tamiya.

Another picture of the glued up area. Note the subtle rust :)

One of my most favorite parts of the office is the seat. Here's the parts that compose the
Ki-84's seat. I plan to punch out the little circles and work on the belts as well.

Bit of dry fitting. It looks to have the Halinski quality fit!

And now the fun part ;D

Another fine update Fruit!! Hat's off to you for working with the fiddly little pieces!!! Keep it going!! ;D

Thanks T! I think the most difficult part is the cutting as it works as the base for forming/ etc...

I appreciate that Spud, and I'm glad that you're enjoying the build!

No updates, but I'd like to ask - Does anyone know of a publication or source for Ki-84 images, specifically for the cockpit? I've searched google, but I'm coming up with seldom any specifics on the 'real' aircraft. The majority of the search results are model builds, and I don't think basing off a model build for a model build is very wise - especially if my intention is to model it after the 'actual' plane. ;D

WOW!
That is an intense project, Fruit!
You are doing a bang up job on her.
I have never made a paper kit. It looks like quite the time commitment, but alos looks to be worth it. I will be watching this one. :)

YES! Very cool Fruit. Very tidy looking work there my man. I think you and Veg might have the only paper builds on the go here. You two Guys are very, very skillful and it's fun to see these kits progress. You Guys may be starting a trend here!! Keep us updated ;)

Super incredible. I thought PE, being so small, was tough to work with. Paper would take the patience of a Saint!

Latest posts

Back