German (WWII, late) radio team

Jelly

Rob. G.
OK, mates, here´s the other figurines set that I had in mi micro-stash,
´
It´s a Verlinden one, resin made: “German WWII radio team” .
´
I don´t know how old is this set, but as I told in another post, for the price and similar quality (surely better) I openly prefer any Dragon 2nd Gen Figurine set.
´
I´m painting the faces/heads apart from the bodies,
´
I consider the painting of the bodies finished (but they are not weathered yet, still to do this)
´
The two faces that you will see were painted before my second figure about the “WWII Finnish AFV crew” : you will notice that those faces still are neither shadowed nor highlighted, no eyebrows, etc: just the plain painting: eyes and skin. NOT FINISHED.
´
To paint the skin, I use as a base a color mixture consisting in a 50% / 50% of Vallejo´s “basic skintone” and “orange brown”.
´
About the bodies: those figures are supposed to be placed in Germany, 1.945:
´
I.- The radioman wears a reversible parka with Sumpfmunster camo scheme in the outer side.
´
II.- The other guy wears a blue commercial parka, non reversible. This guy also holds a table with a map over it where he is either marking or circling spots, but I have not attached it yet to him.
´
These two guys are supposed to be riding the Ford GPA that I posted in the “Armor” section.
´
Here goes a salvo of photos:
´
P1010729.jpg
´
P1010728.jpg
´
P1010727.jpg
´
P1010726.jpg
´
P1010725.jpg
´
P1010738.jpg
´
P1010737.jpg
´
P1010735.jpg
´
P1010734.jpg
´
P1010733.jpg
´
P1010732.jpg
´
P1010731.jpg
´
P1010730.jpg
´
´
´
As always, thanks for watching, evaluation, and criticism.
(jokes and jerking are welcome, of course)
Cheers
RG

you suck jelly :p i love the camo patern realy nicely done

The photo you posted looks like Splinter LW 41 judging by the colors in the pattern. Roberto mentions "Sumpfmuster" which is the Marsh 43, or Marsh 44 which both have softer edges due to the blurring of the lines and the colors are more into the reddish browns and faded greens and not the dark chocolate browns and bright greens of the other pattern.

There are no less than at least 12 variations of the splinter pattern although many times it near impossible to tell from period photos. It's much easier to tell them apart when looking at modern color photos of surviving examples, as many times two different patterns look alike in black and white photos. Marsh patterns however are easier due to their softer, more rounded edges.

Howdy, mates? :)

Thanks a lot for the tech support!

OK, Lukasz, I´ll save that photo... ;)
I believe (sincerely: I can be wrong) that camo scheme is named "Spilter camo" and that it was developed before the one I call "Sumpfmuster".

What I´ve tried (maybe not a big success ;), really ) is this camo (yes, Ken, either 1.943 or 1.944, probably more the 1.944 one):

painters%20guide%201944%20German%20Sumpfmuster.gif
Yes, I´m fully aware that the 2D drawings show a lot of straight lines, but (again, sincerely) I don´t know how straight look the lines in a 3D model with so many bends in the fabrics.
Also, I´m not sure if at 1:35 scale would be visible at simple eye these myriad of vertical lines: just take a look at the picture, and more or less the scale of the guy... I find that these vertical lines are really tiny to paint them in 1:35 in the appropriate quantity! :p

Thanks a lot to you all for watching and the comments! ;)
RG

PD: Spud, dear, my wife says the same, almost every day. ;D I believe that sonn I´ll have to pack my suitcase, pick my lil´ Peugeot 205 and get a room in a gesthouse ;D
It´s a matter of time ;D

Yes, it is Splinter and it was made prior, in 1941. The official name: "Luftwaffesplittertarnmuster 41" or as it is often referred to: Splinter LW It is most similar to Splinter WH but the colors are slightly different.

The other patterns official name Wehrmachtssumpftarnmuster 43 or Marsh 43 was made in 1943, and the Marsh 44 was made in 1944 respectively.

I have a few Schiffer books on German camo uniforms and they are amazing, just about 300 pages each and full of period photos and modern color photos of surviving garments as well.

:) Yes, Ken, SPLINTER... I must becoming dyslexic, I don´t know why I´ve written "spilter" ::)

I find very colorful and showy those camo schemes. I like also a lot Erbsenmuster, initially I tought about painting that scheme on the parka, but I thought that my limited painting skills were more appropriate for (what I believe) a less demanding ( ::) ) camo scheme, like the Sumpfmunster... ;)

LOL, no worries Roberto.

If you look at the official name, it is has 'splitter' in it with no 'N' so it's very understandable. ;) :)

ScaleModelMadman I have the same book so I know what you’re talking about. It's still the same camo just have a bleared edge.
Jelly you've picked one of the hardest to make. So I keep my fingers crossed. Looking forward for more.
Cheers

Not sure what you mean by 'same camo' ??

...the colors are different, the sizes and shapes are different and the rain lines are different.

"the Splinter LW is similar to the Splinter WH but the cut was reduced in size for better effect... these patches bear more edges..."

"Marsh 43 pattern has the same basic design as the Splinter WH...The only thing they have in common is that the colors are reversed... the whole blotch has a fluffy looking edge that fades into the background..."

They have some pretty clear differences.

Hey Jelly my man ;D

Figures are looking good buddy ;) good on you for having a go at the camo's not an easy thing to do .This is something I want to have a go at myself ,well actually I'll be doing some British Paras wearing the denison smocks soon ...that should be fun ???

Keep at them ,Im looking forward to seeing them finished .

Chris.

Latest posts

Back