German Waffen Grenadier

andrei383

Hi all,

With the recent finish of my Revell Luchs A2, I wanted to try my hand at figure painting to break from building armor. Also, I have several diorama ideas in mind so I wanted to get some practice at figure painting.

My kit of choice is the Dragon 1/35th German Waffen Grenadiers 1944-45:
DML-Waffen-Grenadiers.jpg

Firstly, i must say i am amazed at the quality of the Dragon figures. Although there were several mold seams to remove, the molding is real nice and theres lots of extras included in the kit (especially the weapons, very detailed!).

The figures are a little mixed with the first guy being out of place when compared to the other three, so I decided to build him and make a small base so i could display it on my desk.

So here he is, posted on a wood block to hold while painting. the hat will be added after the has been painted.
DSC_4677.jpg

and i apologize for the lack of quality photos, i dont have a macro lens and my 18-105 is a little soft at the tele end, but thanks for stopping by! ;D

using Chris's very detailed tutorial (here), i began the painting process of the face:

firstly was a basecoat of sand lightened with some white:
DSC_4681.jpg

then set up my palette using Mig Oils:
DSC_4689.jpg

to get this result (sorry theres not much "in progress" shots):
DSC_4685.jpg

DSC_4686.jpg

DSC_4687.jpg

i did find it hard to paint eyes since the figure appears to be squinting, or maybe i cant see that close! ;D im pleased with the results, especially for my first time painting faces with oils!

thanks for stopping by!

the painting continued with the shirt and the arms and hat were attached and painted as well. this was my first time using Vallejo Model Color (which is great)! i then drybrushed with oils to highlight the edges

here he is posed next to my Flakpanzer I build:

DSC_4703.jpg

thanks for stopping by! ;D

Thats looking good Andrei :) ....keep at it .

Chris.

and finally he's done! the pants and boots were painted just according to the box art (or at least attempted to) and the figure mounted to a small base of sheet styrene. the groundwork is Vallejo sandy paste with some H0 rail ballast and grass flocking. the base was painted with AK mud products:

DSC_5100.jpg

thanks for looking!

thanks a lot spud!

i find that painting figures is a nice change of pace from the armor kits i usually build, i may even try my hand at some resin ones!

Resin ones have way better detail as im sure you know and less to stick on so they are a joy to paint

hi all,

so instead of opening a new thread, i decided to continue here with the second figure in the set. and as a nice coincidence, i found the exact photos which were used to make the model:
SS-PRKOB-2.jpg

SS-PRKOB-4.jpg

the parka and pants are reversible so i intend to make the parka in white but with the pants in camo
SS-PRKOB-3.jpg

ive already built the figure and started the paint on the face, pics to follow soon!

Wow, the flesh tones and everything looks so real in those pics!!! :eek: LOL! Seriously though, your figs are looking great.

Steve

alright heres how he stands at the moment:

the face was painted with Mig Abteilung Oils and the rest painted with Vallejo acrylics. It was definitely a new challenge for me to shade white, my method was to paint a base of very light grey and work successively lighter highlights until i got to pure white. the equipment was also shaded similarly, adding white to the base color and slowly building up highlights
DSC_5166.jpg

and one pic with the helmet on (which does appear overscale to me, but unfortunately thats what came in the kit)
DSC_5170.jpg

the next challenge would be to try and paint that camo on the pants! :eek:

the camo isnt that bad to do its the highlight and shading is a bugger to do on it :)

lol, thats definitely true, spud! im actually dreading to do it :p

just a quick update, the helmet has been painted and i did some quick washes on the equipment:

DSC_5178.jpg

you dont need to add several highlights and shadows to it just 1 of each will be good enough ;)

thats why i have always stayed away from camo i really should start i will be watching you to get some tips

hi all! the camo on the pants has been completed. to make the camo, i started with a base of brown and painted small dots of black, some merging together to form "blobs" and then i painted the orange brown, again in dots over that. in the 1/35th scale i personally think this method will suffice. then a quick layer of weathering with pigments and here's the result:

DSC_5190_zps21817c36.jpg

theres only the equipment and the base to finish and this will be complete!

Latest posts

Back