future used on goggles?

13aceofspades13

lets kick some tires and lights some fires!
wasss aaaaap

i have noticed from watching videos, and using future myself, that future does remarkable things for transparent parts! and since it is a floor polish it is durable! not to recently my aviator goggles had went missing, the good news is i have found them, the bad news is after the many years i have had them i noticed the lenses are slightly swirreled! my question is could future be used to polish the goggles lenses clean and clear? or does anyone know weather it would have any negative effects to a aviators all important eye wear?8) i really don't want to harm one of my favorite aviator clothing items.

What are they made of? If glass, then it won't hurt at all. Future should not touch glass chemically. Also if the future doesn't do a thing, you can clean it off with ammonia.

Now the material around the lenses is another story. If it is some type of rubber, I would be careful with any chemical around that. So just be careful.

While technically the Future should fill in the scratches/swirls on the goggles, it probably won't last. Once Future is cured/hard, it is pretty durable, but there is a reason you put future on your floor more than once, as it will wear off. That being said, it could still last a long time on the goggle lenses, just depends on how much you use them, what touches the glass, etc.

You might be better off with a polishing kit to polish/buff out the swirls. Then the swirls would be permanently gone.

Grendels said:
What are they made of? If glass, then it won't hurt at all. Future should not touch glass chemically. Also if the future doesn't do a thing, you can clean it off with ammonia.

Now the material around the lenses is another story. If it is some type of rubber, I would be careful with any chemical around that. So just be careful.

they are probably some sort of shatter proof plastic lenses, they are not glass, however they do have some sort of small plastic rubberish seal around the very outside of the lenses sort of a cushion for where they fit into the "frame" but other than that the lenses themselves are pritty much some sort of plastic. its the goggles i have on me in my picture

Elm City Hobbies said:
While technically the Future should fill in the scratches/swirls on the goggles, it probably won't last. Once Future is cured/hard, it is pretty durable, but there is a reason you put future on your floor more than once, as it will wear off. That being said, it could still last a long time on the goggle lenses, just depends on how much you use them, what touches the glass, etc.

You might be better off with a polishing kit to polish/buff out the swirls. Then the swirls would be permanently gone.

thats what i was saying about a floor, a floor gets walked on buy shoes and bear feet, buy people, these goggles at most will get touched by bear skin, hair, or some sort of clothing material. these goggles will probably not go under as much stress as a floor, in fact they probably will go under as much stress as the models i have as they arent worn very often!

i don,t fly, i want too, BADLY! but i have only flown once in my life, so besides having them beacuse i think there cool and using it during costume parties and stuff

You run the risk of it pooling along the outside edges of the lenses potentially distorting your vision while wearing them.

Just Mike said:
You run the risk of it pooling along the outside edges of the lenses potentially distorting your vision while wearing them.
that was one of my concerns, however i was going to apply it in a thin layer with a rag, just enough to fill in the small swirls, however i see issues here as there may not be enough future applied.

I think they make something for that at automotive stores. Buffing out scratches n stuff...

Just Mike said:
I think they make something for that at automotive stores. Buffing out scratches n stuff...

yea... ill either looking for the glass scratch stuff in auto shops or get the stuff elm city hobbies was talking about, better safe then sorry, pay a few dollars for a classes cleaner kit, rather than 30 to 50 bucks for a brand new pair of aviators beacuse the future left a distorted Finnish or screwed up the plastic.

Latest posts

Back