(First build) Mig-15 molded by Airfix with NK markings.

Fork Virus

Hey everyone! This is my first model build, haven't build one since I was 13. This is the infamous Mig-15 first seen during the Korean war. One of the most beautiful aircraft to ever serve the communist cause. Because of it's simply design, the Mig-15 looks pleasing to the eye, just like it's adversary, the North American F-86 (Which looks like a 1960's Corvette with wings!). I was watching an episode of "Dogfights" on the History channel and got inspired to build.

It's an Airfix, scale 1/72, and skill level one. Just practicing and getting my feet wet with this hobby. Once I'm comfortable, I wanna go to scale 1/35 with more complexity and detail.

The Airifx plastic is sturdy, easy to sand, and It doesn't feel flimsy. What I don't like is the lack of detail in some parts and the cockpit. The biggest bummer is the canopy that doesn't fit correctly, Yikes! Pros and cons a like, I still enjoyed the build. The next thing I'll do is set up a display.

I painted it using Testor's enamels. The body is painted using a aerosol can of silver. I did some weathering to give the Mig some character. I'll do better next time, I'm currently working on the F-86, Maybe I'll do the Mig again. ;D
dscn4208.jpg

By fork_virus at 2011-07-08

dscn4207.jpg

By fork_virus at 2011-07-08

Cool looking MIG, looks really good. Post some WiP photos of your saber if you get the chance.

JMac

nice job with the weathering, looks like she has been through some combat! well done!

Nice work - natural metal finish looks good.

Have you thought about an in flight diorama of the F-86 and Mig-15 - something like a dog fight or a head-to-head appearance ?

Airfix is good to get started with - although I would have thought by now they would have improved in the parts fit area of kits.

You did a good job of the canopy - can't tell what was wrong with it.

Well done and keep it up.

cobraleader said:
Nice work - natural metal finish looks good.

Have you thought about an in flight diorama of the F-86 and Mig-15 - something like a dog fight or a head-to-head appearance ?

Airfix is good to get started with - although I would have thought by now they would have improved in the parts fit area of kits.

You did a good job of the canopy - can't tell what was wrong with it.

Well done and keep it up.

I luv the look of those fighters during those years, It so eye catching.

I haven't thought about that... I can do that for the next build. I should have did that in the first place since I'm doing a versus type of theme. I can do that with Dauntless dive bomber versus a Japanese zero. Or go back to doing a F-86 and MIG-15 build.

One thing about those Airfix kits, they don't feel delicate. I'll work on those as much as I can. Gain more experience in building and painting before working on a bigger scale. It's either 1/35 or the more abundant 1/48.

Here's a more close up on the canopy, you can also see how messy the paint went. I tried fitting that canopy. :-[
dscn4230.jpg

By fork_virus at 2011-07-11

Latest posts

Back