First attempt...

plummerfan16

I haven't built any models in probably 5 or 6 years, and they were just straight forward flat painted and direction followed (no airbrush, weathering, sanding, etc). I have recently regained interest in models after talking to some of the guys in my shop. My first project will be an F-15E Strike Eagle 1/48th. As an Eagle chief, I have no other choice lol. My goal is to make this as realistic, and as close to my jet, as possible. And I guess the best place to start for realism, is the base set. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on which brand would be the best choice for aircraft accuracy? Looking online, Revell seems to be the biggest supplier, but are they my best bet for accuracy? Thankyou for any help.

Revell's 1/48 F-15E is the best 1/48 F-15E on the market. Most of the other F-15Es aren't actually Es. It does have its issues, though, such as an annoying wing assembly.

Revell is generally not the best for accuracy.

1st...welcome back to the hobby and of course welcome to SMA!!

Not the biggest of plane builders am I (lol..sound like Yoda, I do), but can add some more confus....advi...direction for you! ::) Just getting back up to speed in the hobby, you may want to ease into it. Revell would be the way to go. Personally, build the kit OOB (out of the box), Get the feel for things again and just have FUN!! The Revell kit will certainly build up to a great model when your done. After you get things rolling there are some kits with more detail and "swagger" to them I am sure...Hasagawa is always a sweet build and there is Academy as well. They are a bit pricey in caparison to the Revell, but the quality is a bit higher. One big mistake sometimes for new and returning builders is to jump out of the gate and build an expensive kit, maybe some AM (After Market) parts and go for the super detailed show stopper. Start small and have some FUN working your way up!! You will get there!! ;)

As sombody who just like yourself has returned after many years away from the hobby, i will second the advice of starting small and working up to the big show piece, ive gone from hairy sticks to the airbrush but it takes practice and you are gaurenteed to muck up your first few some way or other as i did, ive kits in the stash now that will prob take me years to get into as they are my show kits that i want to make into proper displays and im not near good enough yet, its all about patience man, try a few others first, cheap ones, get the hang of the gluing sanding finishing, get a system and a workarea tools etc sorted then begin to think big, nothin worse than realising you could have done the expensive stuff much better, id advise getting an airbrush as the finish is a lot better and less time consuming. hope it helps, have fun and best :)of luck

Welcome back :)
I'll agree with the advice to settle yourself in gently with a straightforward build to get into the swing of things. If you're set on starting with a Strike Eagle Maybe do one straight from the box and then do a second one with everything you've learned on the first one.

As Dusky said, the Revell Strike Eagle is the best available from any manufacturer.
Hasegawa and Tamiya are generally seen as better model companies but the Revell Strike Eagle is the exception that proves the rule.

Not sure what the policy is here about posting threads from other forums but this thread tells you everything you need to know about the Revell Strike Eagle.
http://www.zone-five.net/showthread.php?t=464

Also - as someone who knows the plane literally inside and out, any info you've got to share would be appreciated!

Enjoy!

Dusky said:

In terms of them repopping a kit as a different variant and not changing parts, yes, but generally, no. Many of their older kits such as the B-26 are known for their accurate dimensions. They may lack on details but overall most of the kits are pretty accurate. The F-15E is a fine kit and was regarded for many years as one of the best 1/48 jets on the market.

Dusky said:

Just to build on Redraider56s comments, many of the re-pops are cheaper than the original. If your just looking to build, gain some skills, practice techniques, low cost is good. Keeping the fun in the hobby is also important, as is finishing off a project and not getting to bogged down. From the standpoints of cost, part count, interesting subjects and fun - I'd recommend a Revell, or Airfix kit.

Thankyou everyone for the input. After reading people's input on here, and continued to look on my own. It came down to Revell and Academy. I like that Revell's CFTs actually have the BRU-46/47 racks, and I think the aug's look better, but I also like that Academy's model has variable intake ramps so you can put them in take-off configuration. In the end, I decided on the Revell model (which I got a great deal on :D) and ordered one online.
I'm not going in expecting to hit it perfect on my first try, and especially since I got this one really cheap I'm not too worried if it comes out less than stellar. But, in my experience, the only way you get better is by trying to play at a higher level than where you are, so I figure I might as well swing for the fences and see how it pans out. So for those who enjoy giving advice, prepare yourself for a lot of questions once I get the model lol.
Thanks again for the help.

" the only way you get better is by trying to play at a higher level than where you are"

Sums it up right there!! Can't wait till you grab the kit and have at it!!! ;)

Awesome, the F-15 is a great jet. I was stationed at Kadena for 2 years as a 2W1 so I am familiar with them as well. Cant wait to see your build as you go through it. Good luck and have fun!

Yeah I enjoyed it when I was there. There was a lot to do when you weren't at work. That and I always loved F-15's.

Finally got the model in the mail today. Haven't opened any of the packages yet, but the model seems to be pretty accurate (although I've found quite a few things in the cockpit). I'm going to hit up the arts-crafts store on base tomorrow, and hopefully get some paint (among other supplies). I was wondering what everyone's opinion on paint is. Enamels, acrylics, etc.? Also, I don't know if they will have "model paint", but i know they have regular enamal, acrylic, ect. paints. Is there any difference between "model paints" and "regular paints"?

I've also got a question about decals. The decals supplied are for Seymour-Johnson (SJ), and I think the other is MO. I found a website online that sells decals. It's a company called DACO. Has anyone ever ordered anything from them, or know anywhere that I can get custom decals? Thanks for any help.

Latest posts

Back