finishing decals...

Grendels

I remember reading about a technique for hiding decal lines and I don't remember it now. In case I am not clear enough, when you place a decal, it forms a raised surface which can stand out if you don't finish the model correctly. I am trying to figure out how to hide this. Do any of you have any helpful hints?

I think what I read involved future and then sanding, but I am not sure.

For me, I use Micro Sol/Set to get it down and wait. After a while the Micro Sol really gets the decal down real good like. Then future does the rest. Many light coats, wait for drying in between and that'll hide em.

IMO - it the waiting and light coats that makes the difference.

Thanks Scott, I will give it a try. I already use Micro sol/set with the decals, so I have that step done. I just didn't want the lines around the decals to show if possible.

I think that a good gloss coat before the decals will help to hide the edge also. Then follow it up with Scotts advice. If you can trim the clear film off using a very sharp knife before you dip the decal into water - no film on the outside - nothing to hide later.

I did put down a coat of future before I laid down the decals. I have never used that stuff before, and I can see why people do after giving it a try. It is easy to use.

I will post the results when I am done.

Scott Girvan said:
For me, I use Micro Sol/Set to get it down and wait. After a while the Micro Sol really gets the decal down real good like. Then future does the rest. Many light coats, wait for drying in between and that'll hide em.

IMO - it the waiting and light coats that makes the difference.

Ditto. That's pretty much what I do as well. I run some sol a couple of times too if it looks like it needs it after it dries.

It is working so far, I am on coat number 4 and all but three of them have pretty much melted in. I am using very thin coats. basically just dusting the model down with future, enough so that each coat basically just dampens the surface, if that much at all. ;D

I do many (6+) applications of MicroSol (carefully, with a super soft brush, allowing each to dry before repeating). Vallejo Matt Varnish to finish, and at the last meeting someone noted that they could not tell which were dry transfer and which were water-slide on the MkII.

Using future will give your decals a smoother surface to settle into and help avoid some silvering. Try Micro-Set & Micro-sol to get your decals to nestle down on the surfase and details under the decal. Also, you can use a highly thinned (90% - 95% ) buff to dust your model and tie your decals into the model and give a more unified finnish.

wouldnt painting some clear coat over the decal help, i mean not so much it would make the area in particular super shiny, but i mean i would try a little bit around the decal, that might help it so it doesn't stick out so much, and the brush on clear coat may protect the decal from damage as well!

Latest posts

Back