Finally finished... I think?

SchweddyBalls

Alright, I posted this a little while ago when it was a WIP. I have made the decision today that she's done (I think).
Now, keep in mind it's been 30 years since I built models, last one I was 16 in high school and I'm 46 now.
I will say the Tamiya Panzer IV is a great kit to build.
It's never been the building of models that got me, but the painting and weathering.
The reason this is a winter camo is because I screwed up on the chipping initially and decided instead of stripping it and starting over, I'll just do a winter camo.
I know the weathering on here is not great by any means, but I did get a lot of practice in and discovered some things not to do again.
And I'm also still learning what weather effects do what and where and how to use them, different techniques on how to apply them and so on.
That's what its all about right, learning as we go?
The lighting is not great and I'm also not a photographer, so keep that in mind as well, lol!
So, let me know what you think.

Attachments

• 20210319_164249.jpg
    20210319_164249.jpg
    706.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 20210319_164257.jpg
    20210319_164257.jpg
    683.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 20210319_164326.jpg
    20210319_164326.jpg
    819.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 20210319_164336.jpg
    20210319_164336.jpg
    834.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 20210319_164345.jpg
    20210319_164345.jpg
    554.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 20210319_164417.jpg
    20210319_164417.jpg
    510.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 20210319_164454.jpg
    20210319_164454.jpg
    626.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210319_165409.jpg
    20210319_165409.jpg
    395.2 KB · Views: 32
I like all of it with the exception of the snow clumps .
Just my own opinion , but I'd slice some of the piles down in size or remove them completely . Especially on the running gear .
And the photos are fine

I 'd definitely defer to the snow-tanker .
armored vehicles aside , I'm no one to ask about ice and snow , fortunately - I want to keep it that way :D

I like it! The thing about weathering is that it is so subjective. I think you did a fantastic job, it looks like one really "war weary" tank. I am trying to build up the courage to try a winter weathered scheme on a 1/16 Russian SMK that I built.

I like it! The thing about weathering is that it is so subjective. I think you did a fantastic job, it looks like one really "war weary" tank. I am trying to build up the courage to try a winter weathered scheme on a 1/16 Russian SMK that I built.
Thank you Larry.... I agree with everything being subjective. Every model tells a story and the story is the builders story. Nobody knows what reference material they used, if any. What may be "historically accurate" to one person may not be accurate to the person who built it. Bothers me a little bit when people say you should do this, or you should do that. No you shouldn't. Its your model, you build it as you see fit. If people don't like it, TOUGH S*IT! They didn't buy it, they didn't pay for the materials to build it. They weren't inside your head when you were trying to decided how to weather it.... Sorry, got off on a little rant there, lol. In the end, build it how you see fit. If people don't like it, they can buy the kit, build as they see fit and let us critique there build.

... Every model tells a story and the story is the builders story. Nobody knows what ...
Totally agree. I like the story your project generates in my head. Might not be the same as the one running through yours during the build but regardless it tells an interesting story on several levels. Nice job on this.

Alright, I posted this a little while ago when it was a WIP. I have made the decision today that she's done (I think).
Now, keep in mind it's been 30 years since I built models, last one I was 16 in high school and I'm 46 now.
It's never been the building of models that got me, but the painting and weathering.
The reason this is a winter camo is because I screwed up on the chipping initially and decided instead of stripping it and starting over, I'll just do a winter camo.
I know the weathering on here is not great by any means, but I did get a lot of practice in and discovered some things not to do again.
And I'm also still learning what weather effects do what and where and how to use them, different techniques on how to apply them and so on.
The lighting is not great and I'm also not a photographer, so keep that in mind as well, lol!
Hi, Don't worry about the size of your snow clumps, as an ex-Tankie I have even seen worse, particularly when the clumping is so great and freezes overnight making the tank an immobile icy lump, because moving would risk either throwing or breaking a track. The fun you have chipping the snow out with crowbars and other tools, makes a gym workout seem like a beach holiday. You have to remember that any bare skin touching metal, sticks you to it like with super glue.

For you your restart of our hobby a very nice and credible introduction. Hope to see more soon. Aye' John

I really like it, I had a go at snow just to see if I could get a reasonable result but mainly because I hadn't tried it and wanted to learn. Tried a few different thing's on a small bit of plywood and I found the best snow was white tile grout, sprinkled over with a tea strainer then a fine spray of water to set the grout. Let it dry between layers. Final layer was water spray first then the grout to give it the powdery look. I have attached a photo.
Pantherman

Attachments

• 20220806_140743.jpg
    20220806_140743.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220806_140751.jpg
    20220806_140751.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220806_140805.jpg
    20220806_140805.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220806_140816.jpg
    20220806_140816.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 4
Great job on the model.

I am a bit confused though about how you want to learn and even asked us what we think, yet do not want any further suggestions or hints or tips.

Latest posts

Back