F4F-3 1/48 “yellow wing”

ohbejuan

This is a mix of a hobby boss 1/48 kit, the Tamiya wildcat, and third party decals.

Brush painted (still don’t have an air brush). Had some rippage on the decals but I think they are mostly fixed. Need another coat or two of micro sol.

I have been working on this for a long time. It is one of my favorite paint schemes. I and going to finish with some light weathering and a gloss coat. Most of this kit is the Tamiya kit, which is wheels down. I converted it to wheels up using super glue and foul language.

2CC0F519-C66F-45EC-87FE-2ED1D1D605C7.jpeg
23697B1A-9B14-45A8-8730-AB7463194AD0.jpeg

Attachments

• 28EF0DF6-7FC7-4439-B9F3-C926F2962E1D.jpeg
    28EF0DF6-7FC7-4439-B9F3-C926F2962E1D.jpeg
    332.3 KB · Views: 5
Very colorful scheme. Looks very cool.
Yellow Wing era aircraft really standout in
a collection.
What parts did you use from the Hobby Boss?
Is that a good kit to consider?

Very colorful scheme. Looks very cool.
Yellow Wing era aircraft really standout in
a collection.
What parts did you use from the Hobby Boss?
Is that a good kit to consider?
it is not great. the tires I think, and the canopy. Plus some decals. It is fine, but not as good as the tamiya

Not bad, not bad! Regarding the decals, do you use a setting solution? If you don't, you might want to try one. It can really help with decals that won't conform to the surface. If you don't have one on hand, you could use an old-school technique, and use white vinegar. The active ingredient in most setting solutions is acetic acid.

As far as this kit goes, I built HobbyBoss' F4F-4. It's not a bad kit, though it is fiddly in places. I found that the engine parts didn't fit, even though they are keyed to fit together. I had to remove the keys and then I could get them to fit. The landing gear was also fiddly to assemble. But it built into a nice model.

Also, I think the HobbyBoss kit is derived from (copied from?) Tamiya's kit. I placed the sprues side by side and they are very similar.

Best regards,
Brad

Not bad, not bad! Regarding the decals, do you use a setting solution? If you don't, you might want to try one. It can really help with decals that won't conform to the surface. If you don't have one on hand, you could use an old-school technique, and use white vinegar. The active ingredient in most setting solutions is acetic acid.

As far as this kit goes, I built HobbyBoss' F4F-4. It's not a bad kit, though it is fiddly in places. I found that the engine parts didn't fit, even though they are keyed to fit together. I had to remove the keys and then I could get them to fit. The landing gear was also fiddly to assemble. But it built into a nice model.

Also, I think the HobbyBoss kit is derived from (copied from?) Tamiya's kit. I placed the sprues side by side and they are very similar.

Best regards,
Brad
I was using Micro Set and Micro sol. I set this kit aside, I think I will pick it back up to do some weathering to call it done.

Latest posts

Back