F-5 Tiger II project

ulvdemon

A current project that I am working on, which I hope to have completed before the 19th so it is going to be a straight OOB. *finger crossed* Here is what it looks like so far.

CAM00194_zps07b0503a.jpg
CAM00196_zps560e8b9c.jpg
CAM00200_zpsihsdt6ye.jpg
CAM00202_zpsidybqwir.jpg
CAM00203_zpszxwqzogi.jpg
CAM00204_zpsgdu2xhti.jpg

Currently looking to do a South-East Asia color scheme, but I ma not finding any in that color scheme, but something similar. Please let me know what you think.

Quaralane said:
Looking good so far
Agreed! F-5s are a cool looking airplane.

ulvdemon said:
Currently looking to do a South-East Asia color scheme, but I ma not finding any in that color scheme, but something similar. Please let me know what you think.

Not sure about a SEA scheme for F-5s (I could very well be wrong however). How about an aggressor scheme?
Three_F-5E_agressors_from_Alconbury_1983.jpg

It looks like it will be leaning more towards an aggressor style color. Or a variation of the color. Thanks tor the image. I am waiting for the TwoBobs decalogue set I ordered and go from there.

So far this is the best image I was able to take of the F5 as it looks now.

CAM00211_zpssaj51z6v.jpg

The first light brown application for the camo. Will be going for the SE Asia type look. Next will be the dark green and the Olive Drab. (Once I can determine how best to apply) and then the application of the decals from TwoBob's.

What the other pictures do not show is the white applied to the wheel wells. So far, going... well

Well,after applying the greens some of the edges were too thick and the tape pulled some of the light brown. My attempts to strip the paint may have scratched the underlying plastic. Once I get all of the paint off I will know for certain, but I may need to get a new model and start again.

Unless it is a huge gouge in the plastic, a good primer should be able to fill in any scratches. Otherwise, putty and sand.

Elm City Hobbies said:
Unless it is a huge gouge in the plastic, a good primer should be able to fill in any scratches. Otherwise, putty and sand.

Agreed. I'd recommend a few coats of Mr. Surfacer 500 or Mr. Disolved Putty, some sanding, and you should be ready to go. Even a large gouge can be filled in, and sanded. Just make sure you don't add too much putty at once, mask off the area an apply multiple thin layers as needed.

JMac said:
Elm City Hobbies said:

Agreed. I'd recommend a few coats of Mr. Surfacer 500 or Mr. Disolved Putty, some sanding, and you should be ready to go. Even a large gouge can be filled in, and sanded. Just make sure you don't add too much putty at once, mask off the area an apply multiple thin layers as needed.

Double agreed!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I ordered the Mr. Surfaced 500 so I will be putting the suggestions to use. Currently taking my time. Kn removing the paint and primer. Looks like the scratches went only as deep as the primer.

Here is the model now, somewhat stripped of the paint.
CAM00308_zpscqsonf6h.jpg
CAM00304_zpsiyo6x7le.jpg
CAM00303_zpspveacite.jpg

Not the best of images, but this the worst of the scratches to the model.
CAM00307_zpsg4vgxrhb.jpg

I am leaning more towards starting over with another model, but keeping this one to practice on.

I was able to pick up another F5E that will be used for the display model. This particular one will be used as a test bed and eventually I may make it into a "MIG 28" Paint it black, and get some red stars and display this one too. :)

Well after some thought, I decided the build could not be saved as it looked. The scratches were too defined for my current skill and time constraints. SO I decided to purchase a new model for the Revel/Monogram F-5E Tiger II. This build and painting was so much easier. I did the camo using soft masks and I like the overall look. Most of the painting is completed, just need to decide on the weapons loadout (even if it is unbelieavable). Please let me know what you think.

CAM00551_zps3e31e2bf.jpg

CAM00562_zpse07c606b.jpg

CAM00563_zpsd10a0f2c.jpg

CAM00564_zpsd6ee99e9.jpg

CAM00565_zpsb868a0be.jpg

CAM00566_zpsa327953b.jpg

CAM00567_zps8762f602.jpg

Second batch of weapons/stores:
CAM00557_zpsdfe668b5.jpg

CAM00556_zps8ff17c5e.jpg

Landing gears and gear doors are now attached. Pain in the arse since there is no connectors for the main gear to show where it goes. If I ever do this again (which I hope not too), I will glue the gears in before I paint. Hoping to have pictures taken tomorrow after I spray the gloss coat if the gears stay glued in place.

I'm liking the paint scheme....just a suggestion, but would be cool seeing an F5 Tiger II dressed up as the fictitious MiG-29 from Top Gun?

Unless it's already been done?
b10.jpg

I still have the first attempt sitting on my desk. Current use it to see how the paint I am airbrushing will look before I spray on the final model. Was tempted to paint it pink since my wife say's I never make anything for her.... but black might be better. ;D

Latest posts

Back