Enterprise D - from "Generations"

Excellent repairs Soong, but then you do build androids in your spare time, so I guess we should have expected that! ;D

Thanks everyone, I was worried for a while that the repair would still leave a scar but it'll be totally invisible when it's all done and dusted

Kila2000 said:
Nice job on the repair. Did you strengthen the join at all or do you think its all good?

I didn't strengthen it other than running CA into the crack, I couldn't bring myself to fully break it open again. This is the 3rd time I've built this ship and I've never had that seam fail. One of those builds still sits above me on the shelf and she's showing no signs of fatigue so it should be fine, if I do another I'll definately add support there just in case though

Anyway, a quick update. Got almost all of the decals on the saucer section done, just gotta finish the rim windows, RCS thrusters and any other details. I've noticed that the Generations version has far less detailing as far as decals go (no red pinstripes at the phaser ends, no pinstripes at the seperation plane etc) that I hadn't noticed before. Also, the kit decals are missing a couple of lifeboats, might have to print some copies to finish off if there's no spares when I'm done.

Anywho, here it is

IMAG0104.jpg

IMAG0103.jpg

IMAG0105.jpg

IMAG0111.jpg

IMAG0108.jpg

IMAG0109.jpg

Thanks for looking, back soon with more

Wayne

Soong you must be getting exhausted from this by now. Your well over a year working on this. i tip my hat off to you.

Thanks everyone :)

I can hardly believe it but this is the LAST WIP update for this entire build, the model is now complete with just a few snags to sort out...seems like it came out of nowhere and was just sitting there finished all of a sudden!! So, this being the last WIP, there's plenty of pics to show

The main impulse grille was really hard to get anywhere near right, I would love to be able to make photoetch brass pieces but that's beyond me at the moment so I had to do my best with paint instead.
I cut a lens out of thin clear plastic sheet and sprayed it black until no light showed through. Then, using a straight edge and the back of a blade, scored parallell lines across it. Then, by hand using a knife, I opened up some of the score lines to allow more light through, in the approx pattern seen on the filming model.
I must have repeated this 5 or 6 times before getting it good enough and its STILL nowhere near perfect, but I can't get it any better than this with paint alone

IMAG0122.jpg

Then the secondary hull assembly was gloss coated, decals applied (which took no time at all really) and the saucer decals finished off. The saucer rim window decals from the PNT detailing set didn't really match the filming model so a bit of slicing and dicing was required. The RCS thruster decals in the kit also needed a nip and tuck to get them to look right but nothing major.
All that was left then was to dull coat everything and get it all into one piece at long,long, LONG last...!!! So here's the completed secondary hull

IMAG0157.jpg

IMAG0158.jpg

And the completed saucer

IMAG0161.jpg

IMAG0164_BURST002.jpg

IMAG0162.jpg

And a handfull of pics of the completed “Battle” hull, with nacelles attached

IMAG0171.jpg

IMAG0173_BURST001.jpg

IMAG0177.jpg

IMAG0178.jpg

IMAG0174.jpg

That'll do for now, I'll post a load of final completed pictures when I'm done with the snag list and base.
Thanks for all of the support everyone, it's very much appreciated indeed

Wayne

Outstanding work on that engine grill. I don't think you will get it better without using brass.

eagerly waiting for the final pics!

That really is mind blowing work. Everything about it is aces. So how long in total did it take to complete this? Start to end.

I'm really liking that you didnt light up every single window, gives the model character. Can't wait to see the final pictures!

Beautiful job on the secondary hull and warp engine lighting. This has to be one of the best, if not THE best buildups I've ever seen of this kit. The work you did to capture the screen look of the impulse deck is incredible. You've really outdone yourself on this one. Looking forward to the final pics!

TRM said:
Yeah Wayne....I was going to comment but all I got right now is..... :eek:

Haha! Thanks TRM :)

Grendels said:
Outstanding work on that engine grill. I don't think you will get it better without using brass.

eagerly waiting for the final pics!

Thanks John. Yeah, I think i'm gonna have to try my hand at homebrew photo-etching. Have you ever tried it?

Glorfindel said:
That really is mind blowing work. Everything about it is aces. So how long in total did it take to complete this? Start to end.

Cheers dude, it blew my fuses a few times rather than my mind! How long in total? Don't know in hours but the date stamp on the very first picture on my pc is 30th July 2011 so it'll be around 16months (with a few breaks here and there) Only 4months over my expected timescale... ::)

Quaralane said:
Loving the way this is turning out, Soong

Thanks dude :)

ModelMakerMike said:
It looks really clean and schnazzy!
Lovin' it!

Thanks Mike :)

amateurmodeler said:
I'm really liking that you didnt light up every single window, gives the model character. Can't wait to see the final pictures!

Yeah lighting every window looks odd to me, there's no way every cabin would have its lights on in real life. Almost every window (with a few exceptions) of the saucer is lit in the same position as the 6' original, the secondary hull was more random but I wish I had copied those from the original too now

trekriffic said:
Beautiful job on the secondary hull and warp engine lighting. This has to be one of the best, if not THE best buildups I've ever seen of this kit. The work you did to capture the screen look of the impulse deck is incredible. You've really outdone yourself on this one. Looking forward to the final pics!

Thanks dude, much appreciated.

The final pics will probably be up over the weekend, after I've cleared up the snag list. Thanks for the support guys
:)

Wayne

16 months! I've had to buy new pants twice with larger waist lines, both times, in that time frame. F me.
Hello Zumba.

Latest posts

Back