Edit/modify not available anymore? whats up with that?

ComfortablyNumb

Just wondering....why can I not edit or modify my posts anymore? I started a buildlog thread in the ships section and I wanted to add a couple of pics to it, but edit/modify button is now gone and has been for a couple of days. I am signed into the site, so thats not the issue....anybody know if this is going to be the policy going forward (no more edits allowed) ?

It was mentioned somewhere else that the edit button is only available for a little while after you post to make immediate updates/corrections. After that, just make a new post.

ComfortablyNumb said:
Just wondering....why can I not edit or modify my posts anymore? I started a buildlog thread in the ships section and I wanted to add a couple of pics to it, but edit/modify button is now gone and has been for a couple of days. I am signed into the site, so thats not the issue....anybody know if this is going to be the policy going forward (no more edits allowed) ?

You can edit posts for spelling mistakes, fixing broken links etc. for twenty minutes after the initial posting. Aside from that, there really isn't any reason why you would need to go back and change what you previously posted. It's fairly standard procedure on forums around the web and if it IS something you feel is important, simply contact a staff member to assist you as they can always edit any post on site.

If all you want to do is add photos to your thread, then simply make a new reply in that thread which will also bump the thread allowing everyone to see the newly posted, updated photos.

The only place where it would really be handy to edit older posts is in the buy and sell forum. I like to be able to go in and delete sold items, update prices on slow moving stuff, or add new items for sale. Teh way it is now, a reader would have to read thru all the posts to see if something is still available to purchase and for how much.

Unfortunately, it's a site wide control and not something forum specific that can be assigned differently in different places.

Looking at the one active thread you have there right now Charlie, I see the two updates you posted.

This is a perfect example of what I mentioned above. If you would like the original post edited to reflect those updates, I (and I'll assume the rest of the staff) would be very happy to accommodate those requests. As items get sold off, or if you want to change prices etc. simply send me a PM and I can easily get that sorted for you.

*Having said that, as more people list things for sale over time, your thread will become buried on the page and editing the original post will not bump it back to the top.

Thanks for your reply admin, appreciated...but why would you want to limit your members ability to add to/modify their own posts? (this is not the case on most other boards btw, as a matter of fact this is the only one I am on that does not allow changes...even CNN allows ;) ) Did something ugly happen here in the past or something?

For me, I started a build log thread and the next day when I noticed the pics were out of sequence and didnt make much sense (my fault), I could not fix it. Contacting a mod, writing out an explanation of the changes to the post, sequencing and additional pics to be inserted....well, I'll tell you the truth, its kind of alot of hassle (for 2 people) and I probably would just leave the post wrong rather than go through that.

But no prob, its your board...just wondering why this is the only modelling site that doesn't allow it. This place totally rocks ...besides this little annoyance in posting. Thanks for your time! -Tim

In the thread:

http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/forum/index.php/topic,4317.0.html

can you please add:
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o169/annietim/photo1g.jpg
and
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o169/annietim/nag711sssspack.jpg ....
to the beginning of the first post

in my third post in that thread, can you pls remove:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o169/annietim/IMG_0963.jpg
and
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o169/annietim/IMG_0958.jpg

and put them both at the end of the fourth post? Thank-you very much for help!

ComfortablyNumb said:
(this is not the case on most other boards btw, as a matter of fact this is the only one I am on that does not allow changes...even CNN allows ;) )

Perhaps this is the only one out of the forums you belong to but I could give you a list of armor forums, air forums, sports forums, political forums, video forums etc. that I have been on as a member and even staffer, since 2002 or so that it is the case ...however, I'm not here to debate that.

I guess it's simply the rule here and that is all I should have said. My bad.

ComfortablyNumb said:
Did something ugly happen here in the past or something?

Perhaps

but we don't have to dig up old bones.

ComfortablyNumb said:
For me, I started a build log thread and the next day when I noticed the pics were out of sequence and didnt make much sense (my fault), I could not fix it. Contacting a mod, writing out an explanation of the changes to the post, sequencing and additional pics to be inserted....well, I'll tell you the truth, its kind of alot of hassle (for 2 people) and I probably would just leave the post wrong rather than go through that.

Well, it took merely a few seconds for me to move your photos around as you specified above. In fact, I would be willing to wager it took less time for me to do that, than it took you to type this post. ;)

Honestly, it's not that big a deal...

ComfortablyNumb said:
But no prob, its your board...just wondering why this is the only modelling site that doesn't allow it. This place totally rocks ...besides this little annoyance in posting. Thanks for your time! -Tim

Again, there are several other forums where this is standard practice but it isn't really relevant here. Each forum has their own set of rules and many differ from the next. We try to offer a place where people can enjoy modeling without flames, personal attacks and the like. Even if this means people going back to edit previous comments to reflect something they didn't like at a later date.

Happy modeling.

"I would be willing to wager it took less time for me to do that, than it took you to type this post"

yes, my point exactly

Really, its too bad an incident or two caused an across-the-board rule change that imposes limitations on all members thereafter. I guess its a judgement call, and one I disagree with...but I appreciate your motivations and other than the annoyance of not being to edit my thread myself... REALLY like the style you have on this board!

I fail to see why you would want to modify the post to add a photo, when you an just make a new reply with the new photos, and then the thread gets thrown back to the top of the board it is in and everyone sees the thread has had a new reply and goes to check it out. If the post is just modified....it doesn't give an indication that something new has been added to the thread. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Elm City Hobbies said:
I fail to see why you would want to modify the post to add a photo, when you an just make a new reply with the new photos, and then the thread gets thrown back to the top of the board it is in and everyone sees the thread has had a new reply and goes to check it out. If the post is just modified....it doesn't give an indication that something new has been added to the thread. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Hi Scott...I agree that would be fine in many cases, but it wouldn't have worked for my edit. When I made the first post, I intended to use two pics, one of the box art of the model and the other of the lionroar kit I would be using, to setup the build thread. As per your solution, placing these two pics halfway through the thread somewhere by making another post with them included does not work very well.

Because we cannot edit our threads after a couple of minutes, members must now write a pm and hope for a mod or admin to get involved at some point... just to make a routine change to a post?

I don't know what happened previously that lead to this restriction, but it must have fairly traumatic to have lead to suspension of editing prividges for all members.

And thanks admin for not locking the thread...a reasonable discussion and your patience for dissenting views is appreciated! -Tim

ComfortablyNumb said:
When I made the first post, I intended to use two pics, one of the box art of the model and the other of the lionroar kit I would be using, to setup the build thread.

After hitting post, you have 20 minutes to edit. Surely that's long enough for you to realize you forgot to add two photos and address this...

and if not, you simply ask a staff member for help.

ComfortablyNumb said:
Because we cannot edit our threads after a couple of minutes,

20 minutes actually.

ComfortablyNumb said:
members must now write a pm and hope for a mod or admin to get involved at some point...

There is no 'hope' needed, I cannot think of a staff member here who would not assist you with so paltry a request, helping the general membership is one of the things they signed on to do.

ComfortablyNumb said:
just to make a routine change to a post?

I'm sorry but I see nothing 'routine' about having to go back and edit posts for days on end. I try to routinely read my posts through before hitting the submit button. On the occasion where I might like to change something, I ask those with the ability to assist in that (on other boards) and am usually met with very positive replies.

ComfortablyNumb said:
I don't know what happened previously that lead to this restriction, but it must have fairly traumatic to have lead to suspension of editing prividges for all members.

No one here had their privileges suspended. There are no privileges here to suspend.

You are limited on your avatar size allowed on this forum. You are limited to a certain amount of characters within your signature on this forum. You are limited as to what language is tolerated on this forum. You are limited as to how many attachments you can place in each post on this forum. You are limited to twenty minutes to edit after hitting the submit button on this forum.

ComfortablyNumb said:
And thanks admin for not locking the thread...a reasonable discussion and your patience for dissenting views is appreciated! -Tim

Feel free to cal me Ken.

Your dissenting view is duly noted but further 'discussion' on the topic is fairly fruitless at this point as nothing is going to be changed and there is no forthcoming vote to campaign for.

I think we are venturing into the 'beating a dead horse' area and maybe we should just go back to gluing and painting plastic. Please, continue to share your wonderful model with us and if you run into any issues, or have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask for help.

Thanks

just read through this thread , If I could add just one point . Before adding a post there is the option to 'Preview' ...its the button right beside 'Post' ,I always use this option to check for mistakes before commiting ,its a good habit to get into ;)

Chris S said:
I always use this option to check for mistakes before commiting ,its a good habit to get into ;)

coulda used that option before i married the ex...

dead horse buried; I will be more careful when posting here and will check the post before leaving the site from now on. My bad that I did not previously, but I didnt know it was necessary either, but now I do :) So all's good... and keep up the good work here on scalemodeladdict Ken!

Latest posts

Back