Dot Filtering Question !!

Army Vet

Hello everyone !!
My name is Lee ... I am new here I never posted here except in the welcome area .. I am kind of a LURKER :eek: !!!! I just watched Ken's video on oil weathering .. My question is could I or anyone use a hair dryer to help speed up the drying time on the oils ??
Just wondering ????
Thanks Lee !!

VET,

Yes ! You can use a hair dryer. Caution : don't let it get too hot & get th plastic soft !

Here are some other ways to speed along th drying time. ( I'm not speaking for KEN. It's what works for Me)

1) Place the oil , that you are going to use, on a piece of Corrugated Cardboard. It will help to draw out the Lint seed Oil & help to kill the sheen ! Let it set for 5-10 minutes. For some reason It has to be corrugated Cardboard. I think it's because you can get some air flow between th sheets & helps ?

2) You could thin the Oil with Enamel thinner & after you paint, hit it with a Hair Dryer.

Either of these methods , still won't get it dry in a Day ... you should still wait a few days ( 3) to make sure th Oil is 100% .... that's th only draw back with Oil ... you just can't be in a hurry !

I agree with Erik. Oh and welcome to the site/forum Lee. The card board trick and using mineral spirits help the drying time, but not the curing time. I find that doing those two things works great, especially for when I am doing rust layering. It is usually cured in 1-2 days because of the minimum amount of LS oil in the paint.

scratchmod

You can try and speed up the drying time with a hair dryer and it will help to a certain extent but it isn't the 'magic method'. Oils evaporate much differently than acrylics.

Think of putting water in a pan on the stove, it evaporates very quickly with the heat. Now put some cooking oil in that same pan, on the same heat setting. It not only evaporates extremely slower but it may also actually simply just thicken up in the pan.

You almost have to understand evaporation on a scientific level, as evaporation is basically molecules separating themselves from their attachment with others in the liquid and then moving off into the air above. Heating the liquid makes the molecules move faster and weakens their attachment to each other. That is why warm liquids may evaporate more quickly than if they were cold.

However, the molecules in some liquids, like oil are rather large and well-tangled up and attached to each other. This means that evaporation, if it occurs at all, is very slow. That is why the cooking oil, even when heated to a very high temperature doesn't always evaporate to an appreciable extent.

Simply put, it may speed things up a bit, but it may just actually thicken/harden the oil on the surface.

panzerace007 said:
1) Place the oil , that you are going to use, on a piece of Corrugated Cardboard. It will help to draw out the Lint seed Oil & help to kill the sheen ! Let it set for 5-10 minutes. For some reason It has to be corrugated Cardboard. I think it's because you can get some air flow between th sheets & helps ?

That's actually featured in the video Erik, are you telling me you didn't watch it!?! ;D

panzerace007 said:
That's actually featured in the video Erik, are you telling me you didn't watch it!?! ;D

I watched it ... I guess I missed it. I noticed the Oil on th cardboard. Sorry ! :-[ ;D

The only thing I want to add to what Ken posted is that sometimes chemical reactions require heat to start. So if you add too much heat, part of the oil paint might change into something else. Which can lead to cracks, and other trouble.

Thanks to everyone !!!
I just wanted to say thank everyone for their info on my question ! I think I will scratch out the the hair dryer idea and just have a little patience and wait for the end result and start another build !!
once again Thank you all !
Lee

VET,

One other thing to keep in mind when working with Oils. As KEN mentioned in the Videos ... Oils dry a little darker & If you are using a highlight color or White. A little goes a long way. If you can't see it initially, & you know you put a good amount of Highlight down ... wait a day to see th results. Oil is opaque as well & at times seems to go on invisible & dry very Stark ! I know , I ran into that when I was using Oil to paint the Flesh on a figure. I went in to add some highlights on his cheeks & couldn't really see th highlights. The next day it was a very stark white ! I had added a little too much. He looked like he had seen a ghost ! ;D

I had to re-paint th face again ! Lesson learned !! Oil can fool ya ! But a Great medium to work in !!

Latest posts

Back