Dell SUCKS!

Grendels said:
With Lexmark and a few other companies, they use the color ink when they print black only. There by forcing you to buy more ink. I refuse to use those companies for this reason. A black printout should only use the black cartridges.... :mad:

I have quite a few laser printers at my office and home. HP makes the best with the cheapest cartridges. Avoid Lexmark, their cartridges cost way more than HP does for the same number of printouts.

Samsung is a good option with laser printers. I have one at home that is outstanding and the cartridges are not expensive.

HP does this also, at least the ink jets do, maybe not as much as the Lexmark ones (as I seem to remember the color ones running out about the same time the black did, although 90% of what I printed was black only)

On my HP when I want to bring only black...(even if the picture is in color), I have to go in and tell it to only use black....where I have to go, you click "print color" or "pring greyscale". Choose greyscale and you have 2 options, High Quality, or Black Ink Only....so I have to assume that the High Quality uses a bit of color, but not sure why it would....maybe to create better greyscale effect?

Grendels said:
Recent changes at Intel were put in place to stop the home builder from building their own computer:

http://semiaccurate.com/2012/11/26/intel-kills-off-the-desktop-pcs-go-with-it/

If AMD does not follow this, we can still build our own, but if they do, the desktop is gone in a year or two.

I question the source, but even if Intel does do this there are always guys out there who really build their own computers including taking boards apart and soldering components.

When I direct a tournament, and am printing bout sheets, wall brackets etc throughout the course of the day I have to have a laser printer. I have two Brother Printers and couldnt be more happier. The toners cost about $65 and print me about 6500 pages per toner. A little piece of advice if you have a brother laser printer. When your light comes on saying your getting low on ink. DONT BELIEVE IT. IT IS ONLY HALF GONE. Found this little tip out at a tournament when I was using a new toner and the light came on saying I was low on ink. Take the Toner out and look for the clear eyes on each side. One on each side of the toner. Take some masking tape and completely cover each clear eye, then color the masking tape with a black marker completely covering the tape. I guarentee you you will get as many pages printed as you did up to the point the light came on saying the toner was low. I did this towards the end of the one tournament, came home, went to the next tournament and got completely through the next tournament with the same toner. Near tip for printers :D (Do you know how many toners I recycled that were half full yet and fooled into thinking they were empty)?

I think this is probably a move to help AMD. If AMD goes under Intel will be a legal target for monopolizing the market. :p

Ravhin said:
I think this is probably a move to help AMD. If AMD goes under Intel will be a legal target for monopolizing the market. :p

It would be a move to force AMD under. With having everything on one board Intel could force contracts with companies and those companies couldn't offer AMD parts.

I've always gone with AMD and couldn't be happier.

I have been building my own machines for quite a while now. Just last year I built up a new one.

The best processor has gone back and forth between AMD and Intel for years now. So you really can't say one is better than the other. The one thing I can say however is that AMD has always given you more bang for your buck.

I am not really surprised by this move by Intel. Think about it. How many people buy desk tops these days? Almost everyone I know has a lap top and uses them like a desk top. Also the market has moved from desktops to lap tops to netbooks and now to pads. They are selling more Ipads and android tablets than desktops these days.

Sure you will still need a desktop for things like photo or video editing if you are hard core at it. But most lap tops can do what a desk top can these days. Just not as fast....

No one plays games on the PC anymore either. Instead we use the X-box or the PS3. Games are not as good there, but the machines cost far less than a gaming desktop does.

I am pretty sure AMD will stick with the market as it is, because they will suddenly be the only one providing socketed CPU's. Intel will not be doing this. Give it five or ten years, and I think the desk top will be done.

Elm City Hobbies said:
Grendels said:
With Lexmark and a few other companies, they use the color ink when they print black only. There by forcing you to buy more ink. I refuse to use those companies for this reason. A black printout should only use the black cartridges.... :mad:

I have quite a few laser printers at my office and home. HP makes the best with the cheapest cartridges. Avoid Lexmark, their cartridges cost way more than HP does for the same number of printouts.

Samsung is a good option with laser printers. I have one at home that is outstanding and the cartridges are not expensive.

HP does this also, at least the ink jets do, maybe not as much as the Lexmark ones (as I seem to remember the color ones running out about the same time the black did, although 90% of what I printed was black only)

On my HP when I want to bring only black...(even if the picture is in color), I have to go in and tell it to only use black....where I have to go, you click "print color" or "pring greyscale". Choose greyscale and you have 2 options, High Quality, or Black Ink Only....so I have to assume that the High Quality uses a bit of color, but not sure why it would....maybe to create better greyscale effect?

I don't know about the new printers by HP, but the only ones use to let you print without a color cartridge in the printer. The new ones may have gone the route that Lexmark and Epsion have done.

Hooterville75: I have a brother laser printer, nice to know! Just pulled out the print cartridge and I saw the clear eyes. Will give it a try!

Dusky said:
Ravhin said:

It would be a move to force AMD under. With having everything on one board Intel could force contracts with companies and those companies couldn't offer AMD parts.

I've always gone with AMD and couldn't be happier.

Not quite, because after that move the WHOLE enthusiast market would be AMD while intel would continue to dominate the OEMs.

As it is today intel dominates both and AMD is on the verge of going the way of the dodo. They already force contracts, so having everything on the board wouldn't change much there.

Besides they can only push so far, if AMD is gone Intel will be forced to split into several companies and whatnot, and I doubt they want that.

Grendels said:
No one plays games on the PC anymore either. Instead we use the X-box or the PS3. Games are not as good there, but the machines cost far less than a gaming desktop does.

Not totally true. Just this past weekend steam registered some 7 million people loged on to their service and playing games at one time. This of course, doesn't count all the others that where not using steam at that time.

PC gaming has actually been growing the past few years, with much merit from indie games, but those are bringing the bigger guns back as well and more and more games are being developed with the pc crowd in mind and not bad ports as was usual some years ago.

Besides, it won't be long until a PC can do a good job of emulating an XBOX 360 or PS3 ;D

But yeah for the vast majority of people a simple laptop or tablet does the job, just fine.

Grendels, I wouldn't know why a colored tape wouldn't work as well. I was told to use regular masking tape and color the tape black over the clear eyes so that's what I did lol. Next time I need too I will try the colored tape and see if it works as well avoiding the coloring of the masking tape lol. I couldn't believe it though. All those toners I recycled that were half full yet just blows my mind. That's $65-70 a pop to replace a toner to know that it was half full yet lol. After taping the clear eyes Ive yet to have it let me down where I didn't get half more life from the toner. Wish I could find a tip or trick to get half as much life out of the drum when it goes bad lol. I did however go for about a month after the drum light came on as well. Brother is and always will be my choice in Laser Jet printers.

Far as laptops are concerned, I go with whatever is the most affordable offering the specs I'm looking for. I do however think building your own to the specs you want would be the best method. With as many tutorials and DIY videos on youtube.com if you gather the parts you want at the specs you desire, you could find a video showing you how to build it start to finish. I may actually take that approach next time I need a new one which will be in the next year or so. I truly believe if you go to a show or even off ebay etc you could get all the parts to build a complete to meet your specs of preference laptop cheaper then you could go buy one. I'm sure there are el cheapos that arn't built to the specs you desire you could get cheaper but for the specs one desires building is probably cheaper.

Dusty you say PC gaming is definitely growing which is true but can those people playing the games on there PC be playing the same games on there tablets IE Ipads, android tablets etc ?

No, because tablet games are for milk drinkers. You can't slay dragons on a tablet. :p

Tablets aren't meant for gaming so the only games you'll find on them are the same simple ones you'll find on phones; often simple flash based games. None of these even compare to the complex games you can run on an actual PC. I suppose there are a few simple games you could run on both, both the systems have different target audiences.

Nice. Thats something I never really got into that I would probably enjoy. Might have to look into some different games. Any you recommend ?

There are some pretty good games for tablets but yes they are usually either simple little games or look like pc games from 10 years ago. Tablets only have a tiny fraction of the power of a low end pc.

As for good games, there is a bunch in every possible genre :p what are looking for ?

Compared to the number of console gamers, PC games are a very small segment of the market. This is why I posted those comments. I don't want PC games to go away, and if they are growing then WONDERFUL!!!

I use to be an avid PC gamer, then I got married....

The keyboard mouse combination allows for more complexity of controls than a game controller could ever do. And some games like World of Warcraft (The crack cocaine of video games) could never be played on a console.

And yes a tablet will never be able to play these types of games. They have come a long way, but a PC will have much more power to it.

There has been a staggering growth inthe realm of PC gaming with the advent of Steam and alot of multiplayer games being available. Plus with PS3/360 ontrollers being compatible with PCs and many games coming out ( i.e. Black Ops II and Assassin's Creed 3) console gamers are switching over. XBox's business strategy of charging consumers twice for digital content, subscription services and game time is what gives Sony the slight edge based on money alone. PCs offer range of use, Power and the same online experience or better depending on connection speeds. The only pitfall is that a $600+ machine is required to run the latest games and most people are too afraid to build their own.....which results in them being shooed away by con-artists like Alienware and iBuyPowerwho charge $2000+ ( basic models) just because it comes pre-built !

hooterville75 said:
Nice. Thats something I never really got into that I would probably enjoy. Might have to look into some different games. Any you recommend ?

It all depends what genre of games you like and what kind of system you have.

For me it is the first person shooters, although the latest ones to come out I don't know as if my machine will run them that well.

But that is OK....I will sit in my Churchill, or Tiger, and pound the snot out of people on the other team, and if that wasn't hint enough as to what game it is, then it is World of Tanks.

Also on the beta for World of Warplanes.....but it just isn't the same. Hope to get on the beta for World of Battleships when they get it up and running, would be like tanks...just on water.

Use to play Combat Arms as well...very good online FPS

Grendels said:
Compared to the number of console gamers, PC games are a very small segment of the market. This is why I posted those comments. I don't want PC games to go away, and if they are growing then WONDERFUL!!!

I use to be an avid PC gamer, then I got married....

The keyboard mouse combination allows for more complexity of controls than a game controller could ever do. And some games like World of Warcraft (The crack cocaine of video games) could never be played on a console.

And yes a tablet will never be able to play these types of games. They have come a long way, but a PC will have much more power to it.

You play WoW?
Do you still play?
I haven't played in months!

Latest posts

Back