Contest idea brainstorming!

ScarredKustoms

Whatcha building!?
OK via suggestion of Jingles (Thank you) here is where we can hash out our ideas for the up coming contest.

Lets hear them ideas!!

While I have plenty of upstarted models in the stash I have other ideas for the upcoming spring contest.
Below is the ideas I have for the contest. Just not sure of which one I am going with.

1. Ma.K ... build from parts and scratch, in the past I have built mostly car models so that would be where the parts would come from. Since being at SMA I have really been intrigued by the Ma.Ks

2. Custom space craft .... again built from parts and scratch.

3. OOB Car model ... just a super clean build out of the box with the only detail added would be paint.

4. Full custom car model ... no holes barred build

5. Armor ... I haven't built a tank in 20 years :-\

6. Tractor pull vehicle ... would be 60% scratch built

7. Pumpkin head figure vinyl kit that I have been avoiding because I have never built a vinyl kit :-\

8. Pirate ship model I just got from a friend. Bought the model kits years ago and never did anything with it.

9. Scratch built rat rod (I have so many parts I could probably build 10 of them and still have parts)

10. Junk Yard Dio

Will have to double check the rules to see what categories there are and what would fit into what.

Input appreciated. I will eventually build all these but don't know what to tackle for the contest.

What are your ideas for the contest?

1/48 Scale Gundam sounds like fun to me :) Then again ... I'm trying to avoid small models after doing the Sopwith ... lol

1/48 scale won't be small on a Gundam. I just built a 1/144 Gelgoog Marine and it is about 6 inches tall, so if it was 1/48 scale it would be: 18 inches tall.

For me the build will depend upon how much time I have, and what the categories are. If I have a lot of time, it will be a diorama, not a lot, something else. Sorry keeping my ideas a secret on this one.

How about an "out of your zone" category where you build something out of your regular build category, say a piece of armor for a aviation modeler, a car kit for a sci-fi guy, etc.

Charlie, I really like that idea - that is, in part at least, the driving force behind SMA - to expose us all to genres that we used to shy away from.

ScarredKustoms said:
What are your ideas for the contest?

Well, I'm not 100% sure right now, but I'm thinking a Tasca Sherman for the Armor category and I would LOVE to get my hands on a cool MaK for the sci-fi category.

I don't know much about MaK but I really dig that guy who's attached to the flying thing-a-ma-bob. I've been watching ebay and such because none of my LHS has any of that in stock so we'll see.

*fingers crossed

Yeah, that's the dude. Cheaper than the ones on Ebay, wonder what the shipping cost would be from them?

Those things aint cheap. ;D

Yeah Ma.K is expensive. That store is trustworthy though, just so you know. John and Linda that operate it are great. Tell them I sent you ;)

Shipping to Canada from them is never alot so to Mass, can't be much.

Scuse me,pardon me,coming through,did somebody mention

ma.k ::)

Ah! ze 1/20 Wave Hornisse mmmmm

Ken, get one now!,they have already sold out at hlj and ami ami and you can never know if or when the will re issue them so don't delay buy one today! ;D
And be quick about it too.

Carsenault said:
How about an "out of your zone" category where you build something out of your regular build category, say a piece of armor for a aviation modeler, a car kit for a sci-fi guy, etc.

I usually do sci-fi models, and have done one aircraft in the past. I've been toying with the idea of doing some of the car models I picked up a couple of years ago, but have been steering clear of due to them being outside my comfort zone.

I like the idea of trying something new, and who knows, I may even find I really enjoy building auto as much as sci-fi models.

Meh, they'll be around again.

Maybe,but it is a 3q release so it's a little less likely to be re issued instantly.
The gans was released about 5 years ago and they haven't got around to re popping them yet.
Thing is you can never really tell what will happen.
If you want it and you can afford it, get it because you can never no if you will have another chance to acquire it. :)

Ok enough of this mindles twoddle, back to Contest idea brainstorming!

Scott Girvan said:
Charlie, I really like that idea - that is, in part at least, the driving force behind SMA - to expose us all to genres that we used to shy away from.

Well, if we do that Id like to enter that category with a heavy tracked vehicle kit, I've never done a tracked vehicle before, I have a few kits in the stash that wsould qualify, both 1/35. A Dragon Jagdpanther, the other is a Trumpeter heavy gun carrier, based on the King Tiger platform. (Sorry, I can barely pronounce it, let alone remember how to spell its name.). I may go with a second entry as well, something from my regular areas of expertise.

maybe we could build a braille scale Group build?
1. armors
2. planes
3. cars OOB like Kustoms post"
4. Gundam wars "cool"
5. helicopters - never read a GB about copters.

ScaleModelMadman said:
Well, I'm not 100% sure right now, but I'm thinking a Tasca Sherman for the Armor category and I would LOVE to get my hands on a cool MaK for the sci-fi category.

I don't know much about MaK but I really dig that guy who's attached to the flying thing-a-ma-bob. I've been watching ebay and such because none of my LHS has any of that in stock so we'll see.

*fingers crossed

Do keep a watch on Evilbay. I got the Hornisse off of eBay about a 9 months ago for $45 and that includes shipping. I just caught it at the right time. The same thing is true with other Ma.K. kits. With a LOT of patients you will get one for a good price. I have 14 Ma. K. kits in my stash and I paid over $20 for only two of them, the Hornisse and the Falke.

As for the starshipmodeler store, I have purchased many items from them. Fast shipping and they are usually packaged well. You will get what you order from them. And if I remember correctly, shipping was very reasonable.

[envy]I have 14 Ma. K. kits in my stash and I paid over $20 for only two of them[/envy]

I agree with Scott ^

I'm envious too!

But yeah, I always watch evilbay for models, I haven't paid full price for a kit in a very long time.

The real issue right now is that my paypal account has about $3.00 in it (I just bought a bunch of WWII half track Photos) and I don't have any funds in the attached bank account to transfer right now so I have to wait until my next paycheck or wutevs...

*and I had me credit cards taken away by the missus a long time ago so that's not an option

Latest posts

Back