CA build up while scratch building

EHOG

Ive been experimenting with scratch building and I have noticed I get alot of CA build up in tight spaces like in between the wires on this jammer unit I built. (White arrow)
Also this has caused smaller details like buttons and switches to become unidentifiable and sloppy looking(Yellow arrow)

49smallproblem_zps49da5e43.jpg
What is the remedy for this? I have tried using less CA but then it doesnt hold. After that, I drilled small holes for the wires and used a minimal amount of CA and they still didnt hold. I finally used the holes and as much CA as needed to bond. As soon as it was set enough to let it go I quickly dabbed off the all of the excess I could.
As you can see the glue still built up and clogged up areas that should be open.

I have seen some crisp and neat scratch building here and on other sites so I know there is a way to do this witout looking sloppy like the picture above.

Please, someone guide me.

:p Hey EHOG ,
I would tell you to do what you describe .
What CA (s) are you using ?.
I have good results with all of the ones I grab but really like the gels .
The Original Super Glue Gel ( two tubes - 2.99 @ Home Depot ) seems to give me no grief .
Once the part is 'stuck ' I quickly wick away the excess with the corner of a paper towel or tissue .
.... sometimes it requires a few attempts ,, depending --- but your method is sound .
Uru

Yeah, really hinges on what CA you are using. If you are using something that is supposed to be Gap filling CA....it is going to hang up and do what it is supposed to do...build up and fill in gaps.

I was using "The Origional Super Glue". It was not the gel version. I have since switched to Zap Medium for construction purposes. I suppose Ill find out how that works for me on my next project.

Next Project ?! ... Get Ye out some scrap and see what's gonna happen in practice . ;D
You may be using too much --- it takes an almost invisible amount . I know you said you throttled down till you were having joint failures , but .... :p :p
Well -- Let us know ..
Uru

Yes....doesn't have to be a "gel" type

If you are using Zap/Pacer brand, they make 2 mediums. One is a regular medium, (orange label I think), the other is a gap filling Medium (green label) and will say "Zap A Gap" on the label. It is the one that will build up easily as it designed for filling gaps and holes while the reg. medium is just a normal medium CA, and won't build up as fast.

And as with most CA glues....a little goes a long way.

Latest posts

Back