BMW models.....

Grendels

Does anyone know why it is hard to find a model of a current BMW car? I just bought a new car, and would love to make a model of it. My problem is I can find all the models of older cars I desire, but nothing new.

i remember seeing a BMW Kit somewhere, but i cant remember.

BMW started off making airplane engines, then later started making automobiles.

the FW-190A is powered buy a BMW Radial engine, that is why i like BMW.

Grendels.
Possibly AMT via Round 2
Possibly Tamiya
Possibly Revell

I say possibly, because I've never really looked into it

Here is what I have found:

Testors did a series of diecast models. Very very simple kits and it was only for the new z4. Almost all other models are for cars before 2000. Can't find a thing that is new. (Not 100% true, there is also a model available of the z3.)

Now if you want to get into the collector die cast market, you will find quite a few of them. That isn't what I wanted. I wanted a model. I think that BMW hasn't licensed any, so none exist.

carter_maresh said:
I always wondered why there is not very many current car models out there. ::)

Because car makers are greedy, and nothing can be made of theirs without them having their fingers in the pot. The fact that the very presence of their vehicle in kit form is basically free advertising, that isn't enough for them and they want a piece of the action. Then you get into Nascar kits, and then you have the car maker taking a piece and Nascar wants a piece, which is why you don't see Revell making any new Nascar kits, and those that Round 2 are doing are dreadfully overpriced because of the royalties being paid to Nascar and the car makers.

At one time you got kits of all the new production models every year, now you get a select few that the companies know will sell well to make back their investment, which lots of times involves more than just the cost of cutting a mold, Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, Corvette are good examples.

@ Grendals, I had a look through my supplier's listings, and came up with a few, but nothing exactly like what you have.

..%5Csi%5CProductFiles%5CTAM24166.jpg

Tamiya 1/24 BMW Z3 Roadster Sports Car

..%5Csi%5CProductFiles%5Ctes440152.JPG

Testors 1/24 BMW Z4 (Met. Silver) (Metal Kit)

The only other one I could fine was a Maisto 1/18 Die Cast of a Z4

I have that testors kit and will sometime soon customize it to look like my car. What I was really looking for was a 330 in four doors. Not to be found at all.

But thanks for looking!

Ahhh, 330...closest I can find is a 325, but a 2dr.

..%5Csi%5CProductFiles%5Cfjm12090.jpg

And a 535 4dr

..%5Csi%5CProductFiles%5Cfjm12094.jpg

Along with the others above, those are about the kits available on the market these days. I don't believe anyone did a 330, but I could be wrong. Ebay sometimes gets some odd balls on there, but don't know if a 330 in kit form ever existed. I would like to get a hold of an M1 race car, since I have decals here for one, that I won at a contest. The old ESCI kit is the only one out there (long OOP) and usually go for a hefty price on Ebay when they do come up.

That 5 series is closer to what I was looking for. I did a pretty good search about a year ago and nothing turned up. So I don't think it exist.

Elm, I bet they just want too much for licensing, so the model companies said: forget that.....

Thanks for looking! I never found that 5 series, and I will keep my eye out for that one M1, if I find it I will let you know.

Thank you for looking this up. I might have to resort to using a die cast and painting it the way I want. I would rather find a model of the car however.

Latest posts

Back