Bipe Wings

ShutterAce

My Pfalz is sitting here all nice and pretty waiting for final assembly and I am at a total loss of where or how to start with the upper wing installation. It would be nice to have one of those commercial jigs but I don't. I know there are a lot of ways to do this but what I could really use are some pics of these various techniques.

My own initial though was to build it upside down with the top wing on the table and maybe even use white glue for the strut to upper wing joints and a traditional glue on the lower wing/fuselage. After that was dry I would remove the top wing, clean out the white glue and reinstall with traditional glue.

:-\ ??? :'(

As I mentioned pics would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Hey Shutterace, when I made my H-16 I made a jig out of scrap polystryene sheet. It was based (loosely) on a biplane rigging jig I saw online. If you want I'll take a pic of it for you.

Thanks guys I'll check out those links. I have rummaged through the Aerodrome quite a bit.

JMac that H-16 is da' bomb! ;D

Thanks, means a lot, I thought your Condor was way cool.

Here are pictures of the plane and jig during construction. Sorry I don't have any others from later on, I was running out of time, I finished with about a couple hours to spare on the due date.

Initially, the vertical space between the arms was wrong so I glued shims in to the jig to lift the top wing. I pre-drilled blind holes into the bottom of my top wing with a diameter 0.013 inch drill and used CA to fix extra long leads of thread into the holes. I also pre-drilled thru-holes in the bottom wing. I used a fishing thread called spider thread from Redwing Tackle. It works great, very thin, stretches so never sags and is cheap ($4 CAD for 100ft). Once everything is dry, I taped the wire leads out of the way, then placed the interplane struts between the wings. Check alignment then glue. When that is cured untape the rigging and feed them though the correct hole in the bottom wing, Fix them in place with a tiny drop of CA. All that was left after that was to trim the excess leads and final touch ups and detail painting.

The method came to me as a link from another member named BackBreaker here on SMA;
http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/aligningandriggingabiplanegp_1.htm

Hope this helps.

JMac

[attachment deleted by admin]

Latest posts

Back