battle scared m8 howitzer motor

zappa

Hi guys,

This is still a work in progress. My first wrecked vehicle,
a M8 howitzer motor carrier.
Inspired by scratchmod's videos on YouTube!

It's the Tamiya kit, i took the dremel to it and various drills and files to simulate the
damage and painted it with tamiya paint.
At this stage it has just received its 3th layer of oils and is now drying, dusting is the following move.

Let me know what you think! Good or bad!

image_zpsa8cffdca.jpg

image_zpsd0a19091.jpg

image_zpsb1d24b8e.jpg

Thanks for looking!
Zappa

Thanks guys!
Pingvuiini, do you have any tips/tricks on how to make it more crusty like you builds?

Zappa

Hi guys,
I'm calling this one done, it's as good as it gets maybe ill make a small base for it.

Tell me what you think!
Zappa

image_zps2ac61e96.jpg

image_zps2e086ef4.jpg

image_zpsd606bdcb.jpg

image_zps83301cef.jpg

The final product looks great! Well done!

zappa said:
Thanks guys!
Pingvuiini, do you have any tips/tricks on how to make it more crusty like you builds?

Zappa

Try what I call 'caking'. Use a dark brown oil right out of the tube (I use Winsor Newton). Paint it directly onto the model with a sharp edge brush, caking it on but not too thick. Dabble/stipple the area slightly with the brush to give it a 'rough' texture and eliminate any brush strokes. Then (very important) wait for it to dry thoroughly, maybe pointing a fan on it to speed the process up. It should have a very matte look about it when its properly dry and the oils shouldn't come off on your hand if you touch it. Then apply a dilute rust wash and let the wash spread out naturally. From the looks of it your M8 washes already seem to do this. It's just a matter of taking advantage of the pasty consistency of the oils right out of the tube to give it a heavier texture. In fact, I would probably not do any further weathering on the M8 as it looks great as it is.

Great work zappa, you've captured the abandoned look very well. I would definitely mount it on a small base myself, either with craters and debris or overgrown dependent on how long you think it's been there to give it some context.

Top job

Thanks for all the comments!!!

@ pingvuiini, great explanation about your thechnique ill try that out for shure, thanks for sharing!
@ leighbo, to be honest I never thought about looking at a model like that I just wanted to build something rusty.
but you got me thinking, maybe the vehicle in a ditch off a dirt road and with a snapped off telegraph pole.
Something along those lines, something small anyways.

Thanks!

Zappa

I definitely think a base would finish it off nicely, just something a little bit bigger than the tank would suffice.

If you go too big on the base you could end up drawing attention away from your awesome rust job

look forward to seeing it

Looks great Zappa. Reminds me of the hulks we used for target practice on the live range at Glenema. Would look awesome on a base.

Thanks for the comments guys!
I'm going to build a small base for this like many of you suggested.

Ill post some pics when I'm done.
Zappa

Looks great, I can see this sitting on a base over grown with all sorts of vegetation, vines etc. Nice work!

This looks awesome. I have been trying to do something similar with a T-62A like the ones I've seen in Afghanistan. It's proving to be a learning curve for me.

Thanks ehog!

By all means you should give it a try!

For me it was a first time aswel, came out pretty good but one can always improve ;D.
I'm planning on building a small base for it suggested by some forum members here.
Then one of these days I'm going to wreck a lvt alligator.

This was lots of fun because you, it's like you create your own model. something about colouring outside the lines
that I like... ;)

Zappa

Hi guys,
I finally got around to make a little base for this model.
This is my second attempt at a diorama.
Tell me what you think.

Thanks for looking!
Zappa
image_zps743f4b15.jpg
image_zps8fd6597d.jpg
image_zpsea99beb1.jpg

Latest posts

Back