Aves vs. Kneadatite 'Green Stuff'

Junkie

So I'm trying to sculpt some figures and I'm curious to know if it's worth spending the $30 to get some Green Stuff. I've never used it but lots of mini makers do - I have Aves Apoxy Sculpt now and it works however Kneadatite seems to have some different properties, more rubbery...

Anyone with experience?

While I have no experience, I did read a little bit about this when I was looking up the differences between Aves and Milliput. The one post I came across said that green stuff was good at filling seams and doing little repairs, while Aves and Milliput was good at general sculpting. They suggested that you do not use the green stuff for sculpting. It crumbles too easily.

Scott Girvan said:
So I'm trying to sculpt some figures and I'm curious to know if it's worth spending the $30 to get some Green Stuff. I've never used it but lots of mini makers do - I have Aves Apoxy Sculpt now and it works however Kneadatite seems to have some different properties, more rubbery...

Anyone with experience?

Kneadatite is a bit less soft. Take Aves Apoxy Sculpt out and let it sit for a hour or two and there's about where Kneedatitie starts in composition (assuming Aves Apoxy is like Magic Sculpt). It's much more "firm" to work with once you mix the two parts. That's the best way I can describe it. Like... gum left under the table? It's more gummy than clay.

If you're doing little stuff, go with green stuff. If you're doing large stuff, go with the epoxy. I use green stuff to make cloaks and putting fur on armor or should pads and stuff on 25mm wargaming figs. But like if I was making a rock base for the minature or filling in a large gap in a tank, I end up using magic sculpt.

Oh, and also it's the price that's the problem too. You don't get much Kneadatite for what you pay for than you can get from Ave.

I don't know where you're getting a price like that for Kneadatite - a 36" ribbon lists at about £6.35.

I've not used Aves, although it sounds similar to milliput etc.

I have used Milliput & Kneadatite for 28mm - they handle completely differently so depending on what you want it will take a lot of time to practice with green to do the same job.

Kneadatite is a bit like chewing gum, personally I had difficulty with the rubbery 'memory' of it, and getting the right amount of lubricant to stop it sticking to every tool i have (too much and it ends up not sticking to itself) as it's best layered up. What it does do well is small fine detail as the consistency doesn't separate or crumble as other epoxies can do if you're not careful. I guess that's why a lot of miniature sculptors use it, plus it will withstand vulcanising of rubber moulds.

Unfortunately, the kneadatite I have I left at home in the freezer, otherwise I'd send some to try out for free. ( I put a box together of modelling supplies to play with while I'm offshore and forgot to go in the freezer...)

Good to know - that you all for the advice.

I'm gonna use Aves for now - it's worked well for me for other things in the past. If I find it's to soft at first I'll just leave it setup for a bit and then try to sculpt with it.

Thanks.

Grendels said:
While I have no experience, I did read a little bit about this when I was looking up the differences between Aves and Milliput. The one post I came across said that green stuff was good at filling seams and doing little repairs, while Aves and Milliput was good at general sculpting. They suggested that you do not use the green stuff for sculpting. It crumbles too easily.

I have to say it's the exact opposite. Green stuff is mainly for sculpting, does not crumble at all, and while you can use it for seam filling, I would go with something less rubbery.

It could be a difference in scale as well. 28mm stuff is always done in green stuff, but almost everything I've seen in 54mm and larger uses Aves or some other brand of real epoxy putty. I don't know why.

Green stuff works best for small stuff, from my own experience. I'd avoid using it for seam filling because it doesn't "feather" well without a lot of help.
In larger things, it tends to stay flexible, even after years of time.

I've used both for sculpting, and much prefer the Aves for larger work

I've never used Aves for sculpting heads or figures, but as a seam filler it rocks. Great smooth transition between plastic parts and when sanded right you will never see the mending after the parts are primed. Aves 2 part Epoxy Sculpt is like Jeanie and her evil black-haired sister. You'd give more then a nut to get the both of them together in the bottom of that little bottle with the round couches in it.

Latest posts

Back