An urban decay/wacked out themed train set layout

Cave_Dweller

Sooo, getting heavily into models this year has kind of got me interested in a model train set again. I had one as a kid, and loved it. So much fun to build a little world and place all the details. With better painting skills I have now, I could really see myself getting into it.

This got me thinking, why not make a bizarre train set layout, instead of the typical stuff?

I'm talking like slums with hookers, drug dealers, pimps, gang bangers and graffiti everywhere. Perhaps have a monster or giant robot attacking part of the city. Maybe Batman or Spiderman crawling along the rooftops. A farm section with a UFO making crop circles.

And of course box cars covered in graffiti!

These kinds of ideas.

Anyone ever see anything like this?

Can't say I've seen anything like it, but I think it would be a very interesting set

Yeah it would sure be fun. It all depends on if I can find my old trains though, that stuff is expensive!

just some images to get you started, search "ghost train" or last train and all sorts of cool shows up. OH and I slipped #15 of the East Broad top in, I took a ride 4 weeks ago and snapped this image as the train was turned.

Sounds like a cool and fun project . Certainly something I've never seen :)....Go for it .

Chris.

Those are some good pics there, Jeep. I don't think I'll have much room to devote to this, I'm thinking a 3.5-4ft by 5ft board, something I can fit in the corner of my painting room without too much fuss. Maybe hit craigs list and ebay to see what I can find on the cheap...I'll end up painting all the train cars and engines anyway. Scenery will probably be the hardest, most expensive and time consuming part (and IMO, the most interesting!)

Would love to hear any fun ideas from people here.

Well, models like this beauty could make a good start to a seedy red light district.

dwn1035.jpg

dwn1032.jpg

dwn1002.jpg

dwn1031.jpg

Although those are some pricey kits there! Could easily end up spending many hundreds.

Also thinking a section of the city suffering from a zombie outbreak would be a hilarious touch.

Cave_Dweller,
That's a great idea. I had though of doing something similar, but I think I was toying with the idea of doing something along the lines of an alternate WWII sort of deal, with M.a.K. type armor, or now stuff that looks like "Dust Tactics".
When I was younger, I wanted to do some RR stuff with my dinosaur models. :)
I have also toyed with the idea of doing kewl customized bodies for the locomotives. I think you could do some really kewl things there. :)

This is a great idea! I think the only thing someone didn't mention was a plane. if you have the destroyed train, hookers on the street pimps in the caddies and Zombies running around grabbing takeout you should get a tiny bomber like a 1/144 B-47 and suspend it way up and put a larger scale bomb closer to the dio as if its falling! Boom! i LOVE THIS IDEA!!!! ;D

Well I actually did get my trains! I had to buy new track and I haven't hooked it all up yet to see if it still works, but I did mess around with painting one of them and tagging it with some graffiti. To really get started on this project I'll need to clear some space out in my hobby room, sell a few things etc. I wish I had another spare bedroom to devote to this kind of thing.

I'll try to get some pics up when I've done more work on the train cars.

This is obviously something you will be building over a period or YEARS.... not something you throw together in a few weeks or months.... well... as per the video that was supplied.... the Factory one !!!

this must have been done in Sections or at least with some sort of Order or Plan ! cuz the level of detail is just nuts...

I wish you courage to undertake such a project and if you don't rush things.... the money won't be an issue if you use it well and Keep on track !!! in the END ! you will have your CAKE and be able to EAT it to !

Research your Dream and make it happen !!!! Sounds like it could be quite the show stopper !

Later ! and we will be here to see it come together... and will offer support as time goes !

best of luck and God Speed !

Norm...

I have started work on a similar train layout. Starting modeling again has motivated me back into trains again as well. I had also been to Walthers showroom, where they have an HO layout with some similar stuff.

I've been planning to do my new layout with a steampunk theme, but still having some of the same "otherworldly" influences.

I've had fun bringing together all of my interests, figuring out how to blend them together so I not struggling as much with finding time to do something related to them all.

Good luck to you CD!
-CS

I've seen a war of the worlds (old style, not the new one) module at train shows before.
Here is one
wow1.jpg

I've been thinking about doing a 1/144 one based on the new Martian War tripod from Pegasus. I believe 1/144 is the same as N scale.
pegtripod01.jpg

Imagine incorporating this scene somehow...
I guess put some lights in the train to simulate fire with some kind of clear medium to give a flame shape

War of The Worlds- Train on Fire Scene

Latest posts

Back