"The General" Train Model

BobC

Hello to all my fellow model builders, I'm new to the group. I built lots of model cars in my youth and bought this "General" train model kit about 35 - 40 years ago and never built it. The kit has been stored in a closet for all these years. I'm retired and about to get started building it and would like to ask what type of glue is preferred these days? I remember in my younger days the glue we used would actually make you a little high and was eventually replaced by a citrus based glue that wasn't very good. Thanks for any help!
_nc_ohc=_23hIc-8I4gAX83B7Al&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=qayaC7Yv_vMAX-exlhe&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=auYhfWPvsl8AX-6iW1E&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

Welcome Aboard !

I recommend using one of the low viscosity solvent cements .
Just fit the parts together and apply the solvent to the joint and it will flow via capillary action and complete the weld .

Like ,

header_87038_grande.jpg\
( 1/2 butyl acetate and 1/2 acetone )
Ethyl acetate works really well too .

Welcome to the Herd, Bob! Yeah, the General is a classic!

As far as glues go, as Momo suggests, there are very good thin liquid styrene glues available. I use Tamiya's Extra Thin, too. It flows very well, and it's simple to put pieces together and use the brush to flow the liquid into the join, letting capillary action pull it in.

I also have Testor's liquid glue, which comes in a black plastic bottle with a long, fine spout:

1706122450402.png

It works well enough, too. I think I picked it up to try it out. But I'll....stick, with Tamiya's!

I also used Plastruct's products, Weldene and Bondene, when I first starting using liquid cements. They worked OK, too, but again, I found Tamiya's better, when I started using it. Also, Plastruct includes a brush applicator attached to the underside of the jar lid, but it picks up a little tool much of the glue. I learned to let most of it wick away into the jar.

And, I still keep a tube of Testor's tube glue in the tool box. I find that it still has an application. I use it when I want to have a little more adjustment time, and it more of a slow-curing glue. Like installing a joystick in a cockpit, for example, or assembling a styrene figure.

Some modelers use cyano-acrylate glue (CA, superglue). I don't use it to assemble styrene to styrene, but I do use it when gluing different materials together, like resin or metal to styrene. When gluing resin to resin, resin to metal, or metal to metal, I like to use a 2-part epoxy with a 5-minute curing time. I have found it a little stronger than CA glue. I also pin those joins, most of the time, especially if it's a butt join of two flat surfaces, and there are no lugs cast integrally with the part.

And I use white glue (eg, Elmer's) for clear parts, like a windshield or canopy.

Hope that all helps!

Best regards,
Brad

Welcome to the Herd, Bob! Yeah, the General is a classic!

As far as glues go, as Momo suggests, there are very good thin liquid styrene glues available. I use Tamiya's Extra Thin, too. It flows very well, and it's simple to put pieces together and use the brush to flow the liquid into the join, letting capillary action pull it in.

I also have Testor's liquid glue, which comes in a black plastic bottle with a long, fine spout:

View attachment 112875

It works well enough, too. I think I picked it up to try it out. But I'll....stick, with Tamiya's!

I also used Plastruct's products, Weldene and Bondene, when I first starting using liquid cements. They worked OK, too, but again, I found Tamiya's better, when I started using it. Also, Plastruct includes a brush applicator attached to the underside of the jar lid, but it picks up a little tool much of the glue. I learned to let most of it wick away into the jar.

And, I still keep a tube of Testor's tube glue in the tool box. I find that it still has an application. I use it when I want to have a little more adjustment time, and it more of a slow-curing glue. Like installing a joystick in a cockpit, for example, or assembling a styrene figure.

Some modelers use cyano-acrylate glue (CA, superglue). I don't use it to assemble styrene to styrene, but I do use it when gluing different materials together, like resin or metal to styrene. When gluing resin to resin, resin to metal, or metal to metal, I like to use a 2-part epoxy with a 5-minute curing time. I have found it a little stronger than CA glue. I also pin those joins, most of the time, especially if it's a butt join of two flat surfaces, and there are no lugs cast integrally with the part.

And I use white glue (eg, Elmer's) for clear parts, like a windshield or canopy.

Hope that all helps!

Best regards,
Brad
Thanks Brad,

I really appreciate the detailed reply! I'm thinking about getting a smaller model to start off with before I tackle the General as it's been a long time since I've built one.

Thanks again!

Bob

Hello to all my fellow model builders, I'm new to the group. I built lots of model cars in my youth and bought this "General" train model kit about 35 - 40 years ago and never built it. The kit has been stored in a closet for all these years. I'm retired and about to get started building it and would like to ask what type of glue is preferred these days? I remember in my younger days the glue we used would actually make you a little high and was eventually replaced by a citrus based glue that wasn't very good. Thanks for any help!
View attachment 112859
View attachment 112860
View attachment 112861
Hi Bob and welcome to the forum. Pantherman

I’d do anything to get my hands on that kit! I did that kit in my early teen years and enjoyed building it. The General locomotive kit is high on my list as well as the Budweiser Clydesdale beer wagon kit.

I’d do anything to get my hands on that kit! I did that kit in my early teen years and enjoyed building it. The General locomotive kit is high on my list as well as the Budweiser Clydesdale beer wagon kit.
This one just turned up in my eBay feed yesterday afternoon:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325980807774?hash=item4be5f8625e:g:ccEAAOSwLAplsYT2

I have no connection to this, just remembered that I saw it.

Doing a search now, there's a Buy It Now offering for around half the asking price of that first one, but it's pickup only, in Aliquippa PA:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/256386015995?epid=1724616940&hash=item3bb1cc22fb:g:cjoAAOSw6OZloJ16

So unless you're in Pittsburgh or around there, or feel like a road trip to Pittsburgh (get an Iron City lager and a Primanti Bros sandwich), it's probably not one you're interested in.

Latest posts

Back