AMT 1/1400 Scale Clear Enterprise D Model Build With LED Lighting

It's all good. If I get a new one from Round 2 I'll have a complete second kit to build and improve upon for later.
I really can't complain either. I have built about 20 of the AMT and Polar Lights kits in the last several months and this is the first issue with the molds I have noticed. I am really liking the build so far anyway and I think a lot more people will be building and lighting this kit as the clear definitely makes it much less work to do all the window ports.

I experimented with LED bulbs and LED tape to light the huge saucer and the tape covers a lot more area so I am going with that. Its starting to look like I will be lighting almost the entire model with it.
Gonna be lit up real good. In fact i was thinking I should wire it for a battery pack so the next time I am out camping, I could light the night trail hike with it :p

I have finished building the Clear Enterprise D kit. Here are some shots of it which are screen grab's from my you tube videos of it.
I've finished up the engineering hull and warp engine assembly in these shots. Also test fitting and sealing up the saucer before I finish applying the Aztec decals on it.

[attachment deleted by admin]

And more shots of the model all finished up.

I'll post some better still shots after I finish up the display stand its getting mounted on.

I had a lot of fun on this build and was very pleased with the way scraping off the paint on the window ports worked.
The decal set included with the model kit is outstanding quality. Not one decal ripped out of a few hundred of them.
They also laid down on the model's surface extremely well. Couldn't ask for much more out of a decal.

The biggest tip I can pass along is make sure your light blocking coat is a good one. Being molded in clear, light will get through if you don't cover it thoroughly. But, do not spray your primer or paint too thick as you will begin to have a hard time seeing the small windows that need to be scraped off.

I think this is going to be a very popular kit especially if you want to build it with lighting.
It's tedious scraping all those windows but still way easier and faster than drilling them all out.

[attachment deleted by admin]

That's one fine looking ship!
The nacelles look great!
And the hull color is far better than the suggested Robin's egg blue.
;D ;D ;D

Saw your build on the home page TrekWorks, the lighting looks great. Looking forward to seeing it all finished up with the base.

WOW! How cool is that 8) Awesome work TW!!

Question for ya: Whats the bigger pain in the butt...Working with the clear plastic or cleaning out all of the window openings on the original issue? The clear version has me a bit intimidated! I'm really hoping R2 issues this kit in non-clear with the aztec decals included. Thanks.

Easy answer. Cutting out the windows is much more difficult. Especially if you are picky about how they look.
You can scrape the windows to look almost perfect to the naked eye. There is really no difficulty in working with the all clear version as far as assembly goes that is different than the regular styrene kit.
I chose to use CA glue rather than styrene glue because styrene glue is notorious for coming apart on clear parts when it ages.

OK! Thank you very much for the info TW. I see on your youtube channel, you have what looks to be a very detailed build log of this kit!! NICE!!

Well, guess I know what I'll be doing for the next evening or two! ;)

Thanks for the comments from everyone.

I have been building Star Trek only kits on the TrekWorks channel at youtube, and now have started another channel called SciFiModelAction.

I will be doing kit reviews, tool tips and passing along lots of other useful info related to building scifi scale models.

The best part is I'll be having a lot of fun building some of the other cool and interesting kits that are out there besides Trek. I have already started a video build series there beginning with the new Moebius Movie Edition Seaview kit.

Its going to be lit with LED lighting as well.

Hope you'll stop by and check it out.

Well, after discovering your Youtube channel and watching you work your magic on the clear 1701-D, I'm not hesitant about trying that kit. Geez, you sure are a talented dude TW!! The tips and tricks you provide in your build log are pure GOLD! I subscribed to your channel last night and stayed up way to late watching your videos. I look forward to watching the rest of your Star Trek builds and to your new SciFiModelAction channel!!
Thanks again!

I have watched your video on this and I am still confused on something. When you say you scrapped the windows, do you just mean you scrapped the paint away? Where the windows already cut out?

Latest posts

Back