Alternative WW2 dio

stretch

I'm going to be combining these VVVVVV

Gundam_TR-1_Hazel_Custom_600_267588.jpg
AirfixKingTiger.jpg

AirfixStalin.jpg

into a diorama that takes place in an alternative history where WW2 continues on past 1945. No, it doesnt fit into the 1946+ group build, its a bit ( well.. WAY) too sci-fi'ish
Hitler, having been convinced to hold off on Operation Barbarossa, finishes off the British Isles, then attacks Russia with a newly developed weapon, the FliegenPanzer (literally.. Flying Tank.. If theres anyone who speaks German please correct me, I'm using a translator for that wording. For all I know I may be saying floppy tank or something :) )

You may have seen my Spaceman Spiff build, but aside from that, i haven't built for years, so please give me some latitiude... ;D
Here it is assembled..such a lovely kit..no fit problems and very very cleverly put together

Mech2.jpg

And here it is in its components parts ready for painting

Mech5.jpg

I've been at it for a week or so...

I've added a cockpit with a canopy from a Russian Havok ( WHICH FIT PERFECTLY I MIGHT ADD ) :), some random hatches and some plastic card, they're not painted yet as I have to finish up the cockpit..

IMG_5271.jpg

IMG_5277.jpg

I've tried to make the thing a little more realistic ( as far as giant stompy robots go ), I've added some ladders for the pilot, some wire cutters on the toes, and applied a Zimmerit coating up to the 10-12' level (it was done with a wood burner/etcher, and YES, I was slightly puckered up during this process..)

I've modified the gun to make it into something more WW2'ish (?!?) like it fires large calibre shells and not a laser or something like that
IMG_5274.jpg
The barrels are chupa chup sticks (LOL) sandwiched between with some plastic card

I've added some aerials.. an A-10 bomb back eng with stretched sprue... yes you may have guessed by now I have almost nothing in the way of a spare parts box...
IMG_5276.jpg

Thanks for looking. Radical historical inaccuracies aside, any suggestions on paint schemes etc..? I have something in mind which is just the winter whitewash over the existing paint, but all suggestions are extremely welcome.

Finished assembly and base coats of paint

IMG_5278.jpg
IMG_5279.jpg

and for some reason I can only find one pic of it with the base camo

IMG_5288.jpg

and here it is with some ink and weathering
( theres some trees I bought for the dio in the background)

IMG_5294.jpg
IMG_5293.jpg
IMG_5292.jpg
IMG_5290.jpg
IMG_5291.jpg

Thats it for the moment,
thanks for looking

That's well cool! Very original looking concept and superb work you've done on this. 8)

Well,Its been a long time. Work commitments have been.. well.. 13 day fortnights etc...*sigh*.. well we all know how that can be.
but anyway..

Current progress at the moment..

My airfix 1/72 Kingtiger
IMG_5788_zps1de529f1.jpg
IMG_5789_zps2e633c65.jpg
IMG_5790_zps29d30760.jpg
IMG_5792_zps081945e1.jpg

Tamiya paints with weathering from pastel washes. Followed by me going over every panel line and join with a 000 brush and a Citadel chestnut wash.
Lots of teeny tiny detailing to go yet...

I'll post some pics of the German "FliegenPanzer" very soon

Thanks for looking guys..

Have a Merry Christmas. Or as I like to call it, ' building period', as I'm child free :)

Kewl, I love this sort of thing.
Alternate History...especially when they involve mecha!
;D ;D ;D ;D

Some promised pictures of the "Fliegenpanzer"

mech6_zps09d248eb.jpg
Some lovely dried mud, because as we all know, big stompy robots fall down every so often...

mech9_zpsf8882e3b.jpg

mech8_zps9497473c.jpg

mech7_zps4f7f7bd2.jpg

stalintankphoto_zps5e69ae2c.jpg
The JS3 Stalin in its current state of completion.
The colours of this one have really stumped me....I may yet scrap this one and go again....

trees_zps5bf36e43.jpg
And my woodland scenic trees, from no vegetation, to nearing completion

I've done a bit of work over the festive season ( Merry Christmas to all, by the way ).

I've made my own camo netting, as I couldn't find any at about 1/72nd scale.. sheesh that was a pain in the.. well you know what....
Camonet_zps04d9743e.jpg

I've also made some sandbags out of Super Sculpey. They've got tiny stitch maks on the ends and sides, and fabric marking on the top surface ( gently pressed into a nice fine weave fabric ).Once I figure out where they go, I'll cook them in the oven and the'll be good to go.
Sandbags_zpsed6fc273.jpg

The dio base plate, almost ready to use. Just needs a spray of sealer, then the dio construction fun can start..
Base_zpsd3c30834.jpg

And the star of the show, the Fliegenpanzer (?) in his tank shell dodging pose.
Mech11_zps1f8d8f58.jpg

Looking good! I love the Zimmerit on the lower legs, I don't think I've ever seen that on a mech before. Great idea.

Latest posts

Back