altering the fenders on kits

Sam

has anyone ever attempted to make fenders look beat up, bent or even torn? if so what method can be used to create the look

Hi sam, you can inflict damage with a dremel or a knife, or even gently melt the part over a candle to bend it out of shape.
If youre really feeling brave you can use the thickish aluminium foil you get from takeaway food trays and by using the original part as a template, bend the foil around it. i used this technique on my general lee dodge charger dio so i could make it look like it had a front end impact and the bonnet (sorry hood!) and the wings were easily crumpled back.
Hope this helps!

great tip . thank you. i tried it with the wifes hair dryer and although i did get a slight result leading to a crumpled side but i also got i nice little burn on the finger..... damn those things get hot ... lol. i will definately go the candle route with the rest of the side. speaking os a dio.... i have an sbd dauntless that im doing a small dio of it landing on a carrier. what type of materials do you use to make the base with? is it plaster? paper machee or another form of products?

I've seen beer/soda cans used since they give the sheet metal look and are easily pliable yet a tad more durable than aluminum foil. Just be careful since they can be sharp as razors :)

Latest posts

Back