All Open - 1/350 IJN "AKAGI"

ComfortablyNumb

Hi guys...I am entering my Hasegawa 1/350 Akagi, but as I have been working on it for almost two years I cannot enter it into ships, but the All Open category is good too! :)

Here's a couple of pics...but the full buildlog is at:

http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/SMF/index.php/topic,11897.0.html

if you'd like to have a look at all the details. But here's a couple of pics if you don't want to look at the buildlog:
Hull together, 2 coats of Future, ready for light weathering
IMG_2787_zpsfdf9c025.jpg
IMG_2823_zps39ed4add.jpg
IMG_2454_zpsc0e8c8a2.jpg
IMG_2477_zpsb2b90692.jpg

And here's all the underdeck supports, trams and columns done:
IMG_2479_zpscaa0b3ae.jpg
IMG_3192_zps7ved3aen.jpg
IMG_3721_zpswdqqf7wm.jpg
IMG_3694_zpszrwpwkag.jpg
IMG_3831_zps0bjpknwm.jpg
IMG_3741_zpsxlsy85dg.jpg
IMG_3828_zpsbvqcau3w.jpg
IMG_4088_zpsil2ryzvd.jpg
IMG_3254_zpss0rns2cj.jpg
IMG_4178_zpsoeapmetm.jpg
IMG_4160_zpsuzord2pn.jpg
IMG_4143_zpsa8r3xuqt.jpg
IMG_4185_zpsfptjrjcu.jpg
IMG_4181_zps4niw58nh.jpg
IMG_4169_zpsiixapfjv.jpg

IMG_3402_zpspc0nrbmc.jpg
IMG_4169_zpsiixapfjv.jpg
IMG_4178_zpsoeapmetm.jpg

Thanks for looking and, once again, if you'd like to see the full 11 page buildlog, please click on:
http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/SMF/index.php/topic,11897.0.html
pr go to the watercraft section and look for 1/350 Akagi.

The model is not quite done yet, but I expect in a week or so it will be...
Good luck to everyone in the contest and I hope the membership drive is successful!
Warm regards, Tim

Rock'n'Roll!
Amazing contender for the ship category.
Great work!!!

Cheers,
Guido

Thx Guido! But its not entered in "ships" as I have been working on for almost two years, so I have entered it in the "All Open" category.

Nuther couple pics:
IMG_3720_zpsy3d7yngo.jpg
IMG_3577_zpsv87jbqwn.jpg
IMG_3874_zpsqcgva3nr.jpg
IMG_3045_zpsaff38aba.jpg
IMG_3883_zpsxciuhtuh.jpg

Sweet Jeebus! That's some serious PE for the deck support structure. I'm assuming Eduard....

Oh man, this is such an awesome build. The details are insane.

Here's a ship building question, on random forums I've gathered that weathering a ship is only done to water line builds our boats in a diorama. And that ships that are sat up on a display plinth are too look brand new.

Why is that? Is that just something judges prefer at professional comps? Like, figures being painted with non metallic metals?

Anyway, your build is fantastic. That PE gave me anxiety.

unttld said:
Here's a ship building question, on random forums I've gathered that weathering a ship is only done to water line builds our boats in a diorama. And that ships that are sat up on a display plinth are too look brand new.

Why is that?

Good question! Actually, I think you will see "hybrids" on occasion like mine ...that feature both a formal mount (not waterlined) combined with some light weathering. I spent many hours getting the weathering on the superstructure and hull the way I wanted....but I really wanted to keep it light. Akagi was the fleet flagship and thus would have been very well maintained with practically no rust (except for around the anchor wells... which I did with a light rust treatment). I wanted my model to look as if it had been to sea for a couple of months with a little soot and grime, but not too much ..as befits her flagship status.

Also, adding little figures around the ship to depict crew members looks awesome when water-lining a model, but looks somewhat inappropriate on a formal mount such as I am doing.

Anyway...my health hasn't been quite up to snuff lately, but I did manage to get a couple more small things done. Its funny isn't it... its the small things that take the time. Anyway:

Started a couple utility boats for adding to the bottom of the accommodation ladders, note the pe cabin next to the kit cabin in the middle of the pic, but I only had one of the photoetch cabins avail:
IMG_4197_zpswhczgcpg.jpg

Mounted at bottom of accommodation ladder:
IMG_4206_zpshailol1c.jpg

Couple of details added on the bow:
IMG_4198_zpshmlvacng.jpg

And another shot of the finished and attached utility boat: (ooops, I see a ladder to the left that must have gotten bumped and needs to put vertical again...but no worries ;) )
IMG_4208_zpsrlafcy11.jpg

The show I am entering this in (hopefully, depending on my health situation) is in 2 weeks, so its time to test the LED lighting and get this thing mounted on a nice board! Look for a final update on Akagi soon! Thanks for viewing and your comments and suggestions are, as always, most appreciated. Cheers and good health to all -Tim

Hey Tim!! Fantastic work on the Akagi...but you knew I would say that :) Great seeing this one get popped into he BSC!! Looking forward to seeing the final shots on this one!! :)

Hey thanks guys for the nice words! And Al, you are correct. And TRM, no I didn't know you'd say that. :) But you are very kind, so I am not that surprised either so thank-you very much! :)

To answer my friend Brian about adding crew figures...most times for a formal ship mount (not waterlined), I would not add crew. If, however, the ship was set into a water diorama, or waterlined in an action pose...crew figures would be quite appropriate and I would have added a couple dozen I think. And the Northstar ones would be the ones I'd use for sure. But I wanted a more formal mount.... with a nice mounting board (in this case, a nice piece of Brazilian walnut...pics of it and the pedestals to follow tomorrow)

Thanks again for your kind words everyone...and thank-you for viewing my post.
Warm regards, Tim

I don't know,....I think it just lacks detail ;D

I've never seen ANYTHING like this,......mindblowing stuff :eek:

J

Thanks guys! Here's a couple pics of the actual mount... Brazilian walnut with hi-gloss spar varnish and 4 brass lamp finials coated with Future:

IMG_4227_zpsw0sktmuf.jpg
IMG_4230_zpsuxdc1yra.jpg

Come back tomorrow and I will have it mounted with its brass plate attached too!
Cheers to all and thanks for your support! - Tim

Latest posts

Back