AK track wash problems

zappa

Hi,
I recently got a bottle of the AK track stuff and used it for the first time yesterday.
(I'm a oil kinda guy, but I like to try the new stuff to)

So glued the track primed, painted, sealed with a flat coat.al this is done with tamiya paints.
Then I washed it with the AK track wash, nice result.
But today my track is falling appart! (It took 3 days to build the track...)
I think it's the enamel wash that attacks the glue, right?

Anyway, can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong.
So I know for the future builds, well I might just use my trusted oils again well see.

Thanks

Zappa

Hey there Zappa,

Yeah, unfortunately the enamel base of the AK products is just hot enough to weaken the cement bond on parts.

I had the same thing happen to me on another vehicle, not tracks, but suspension on a LAV (mind you I think I was using the old Mig products at the time, but pretty much the same enamel base in both Mig and AK products), and while I was holding the vehicle by the suspension, it basically came apart on me. Was not a happy camper!

They can be glued back together, just flow some tamiya X-thin in around the joints and it should solidify up.

Thanks for the fast response Scott!

So, I assume there is not really something to remedy this then?
Well, I think I'm going to stick to my old methods for now, using the good old oil wash.
And maybe use the track wash for the rubber tracks that come inn one piece.
I do like the result of the AK track wash, looks good. But when it falls appart... :p

Thanks again for the help!
Zappa

zappa said:
So, I assume there is not really something to remedy this then?

I think it really boils down to getting better coverage with primer and paint. If the track joins are completely covered and sealed with acrylic, there is no way for the enamel to attack the glue. If you google around and read different instances of this happening, it's almost always on tracks or road wheels/suspension areas, areas that are more likely to have hard to reach places for painting. I don't recall seeing threads where that same wash caused large pieces of the hull to fall off, probably due to the fact it's an easier surface to paint and get good, consistent coverage.

I know it's hard, with all the tiny nooks and crannies in tracks, but I have used MIG productions stuff and AK stuff and even thinned oil paint (and in reality if you thin oil paints with mineral spirits, it's just as hot) and have never had them come apart even though I've read a few instances on forums about it happening.

It's one of the reasons I always talk about trying to get the airbrush pressure down and getting right up close to the surface, this allows you to get into all the small areas of tracks and seal them. Or if it's easier, use a large brush and stipple a few coats of the color directly into the tracks.

Webbynz I use tamiya extra thin glue.

Ken I think I will use a brush to clearcoat the tracks next time, and see what happens.

Thanks guys!

Zappa

Latest posts

Back