AK Interactive products

Cave_Dweller

Hey fellow nerds, just wondering if anyone has used any of the weathering products from AK interactive? I'm gonna order some here soon, specifically the metal weathering set and the dust set, as they look really nice. However my experience with enamels is limited and this is quite a specialized product.

Anyone got anything to say about them?

Thanks

I have at least 20 different bottles of their product and really enjoy how simple and quick they are. Its good stuff that creates great effects and its easy to use. I highly recomend checking out their blog or Mig's blog if you are unsure how to use them, or if you want check out the dvd, it spells everything out.

Hey Ken,

Do you find the AK stuff to be as "hot" of an enamel as the Mig Productions stuff?

I assume since Mig Jimenez pretty much created both products, that it is probably the same enamel base...just wanted to get an opinion from someone that has used them.

I found with the Mig products, the enamel was pretty hot...to the point that it would break apart glue joint in the plastic made with Tamiya X-Thin....which I didn't think much would break apart cured X Thin.

Can't really answer that, I've never had anything similar happen with either product, MIG or AK and I don't use Tamiya glue.

Well they arrived and I started playing with the engine weathering set immediately. In a word? AWESOME!!!

I'm going to try out the dust effects set next, can't wait. God I'm a nerd, so excited about paint. :p

images

Awesome products... . just make sure you SEAL the model paint under a good coat of FUTURE
to make a barrier between the two ..... and let the Future CURE really well.... you won't regret it !

and I can garanty !!! You will buy more.... I too have about 20 bottles and I am eager to make new experiments with them.... SOLD me on the first try !

a Nerdy friend !

If you follow Mig's steps on the DVD or on his blog, he doesn't use future (or any high gloss coat) to apply these products. While you certainly can if you want it really isn't needed unless you used enamel paint and even then, you don't need a gloss coat. There is no 'tooth' in a gloss coat and most of the effect can/will simply be washed away, a matte surface will hold the product a little better.

I always apply the streaking effects and other products directly over the previous weathering and/or paint, occasionally I will apply Vallejo Matte in between layers but that's about it.

Like I mentioned earlier, the AK site, Mig's blog, or the DVD is highly recommended to anyone unsure as to using these products. AK even have their own forum dedicated to weathering questions. Just make sure you sign up with your real name or your account will end up deleted.

http://akinteractive.foroactivo.com/

Well what I did was apply it directly to the paint. I'm just totally experimenting but so far the results have been amazing. I did encounter some problems applying the dust effects...it mixed with the engine metal pigment. So I just clear coated the model with rust-o-leum matte spray and I'll try the dust again with a cleaner surface. Then I'll dull-cote the entire model.

This forum rocks, I've learned so much from reading here!

That is exactly what is shown on the DVD, the effects are applied directly over acrylic paint.

As for the dust effects mixing with the pigments, this will happen (unless you clear coat over the pigments but that may dilute their effect)

I would save the pigments for one of the very last steps. If you haven't picked up on it that Dark Steel pigment is buffable, you can really make it shine.

i ordered the dvd the other day along with some new ak stuff to try. i love the stuff. ive also never used a gloss coat basicly cos i had no idea wtf future was :p

Basically Ken has said it all. I too have about thirty bottles and have experimented with all but the latest DAK and NATO sets. A matt or satin clear is best for the AK stuff. It is important to let the effects dry before applying the next one, or they will mix and the previous work will be lost. I normally wait an hour or two then I apply an acrylic clear flat to seal the effects, then I continue with the weathering, sealing in between. I'm usually in a hurry and don't want to wait for things to dry. If you apply a lot of diff effects it wouldn't hurt to apply an occasional acrylic flat.

Cheers
Rob

Latest posts

Back