Airfix WWI Female Tank - My first tank

WebbyNZ

Ok, so I have a finished kit in the cabinet at last.

This was built for the MSMC (my local club) WWI themed club night in July and was my first tank, first cammo done without actual masks (previously painting guide was photocopied to size and templates cut from tamiya tape) and is a simple little kit that I decided was gonna get a healthy helping of the weathering and diorama products I have been slowly stockpiling and reared their heads during a bit of a cave cleanup.

The kit, not much to see here in these smaller Airfix kits.
SAM_1963_zps4733d513.jpg

Both sides assembled and glued with Tamiya Extra Thin which seems to love the Airfix plastic and left almost no seams.
SAM_1964_zpsff120e6a.jpg

Main body assembed
SAM_1971_zpsb1ae1419.jpg

Unfortunatley the small hubcaps for the trailer went for a fly and so this guy had to be unleased to find them, it actually worked really well and is far gentler than a normal vacuum cleaner. I really like the robo vacs, but would steer clear of the Casera which is a cheap unit, and you get what you pay for, this one is on its way back to store.
SAM_1972_zpsc0c61b6c.jpg

And here are the tiny parts it managed to recover reunited with its friends
SAM_1973_zps579a9b76.jpg

All assembled, will join at the end so I can weather seperatley, both sprayed with Tamiya Rattle Can White Primer
SAM_1974_zps13dd7244.jpg

Base coat down, with an attempt at some shading on the panels using the same paint with a couple of drops of light grey added.
SAM_1976_zps0695b13f.jpg

Masked with silly putty and VMA Ocra applied, little brighter than id like but that can be disguised later
SAM_1978_zps013e0498.jpg

More silly putty and some VMA Olive Drab leaves it looking slug like
SAM_1979_zpsbedfc58e.jpg

Once it came off I was meh, with the finish but this is a quick fun build so no backtracking
SAM_1980_zps0574c8fc.jpg

Time for a base, rockmoulds and grout into the hot water cupborard for a couple of days to dry up.
SAM_2017_zps94d2844a.jpg

Most of the shots of these tanks seem to be coming over some small hill or something so this will do.
aa_zps76e58b4a.jpg

Base covered with Tamiya Diorama Texture Paint in soil
aa_zps84283893.jpg

Decals on and first light layer of AK dust on the panels
aa_zpsc558981a.jpg

Adding some interest and dept to the base
aa_zps937f923f.jpg

Just fits on the small base
aa_zps76f65742.jpg

Broke out the diorama/basing stuff and gave the base some green and (hopefully) the effect of a small creek/stream
aa_zps61491b2c.jpg

Tracks on after a light coat of the AK mud washes and Soil paste, water effects added to creek.
aa_zpsf5a2746f.jpg

Happy with it so far
aa_zps50f8d6d5.jpg

Time for the mud :cheer: Tried to give the effct of mud running back down from the tracks as they go round.
Started with light dust all over, then mud, then heavy mud followed by wet mud in ever more focused areas.
SAM_2034_zpsd98e1088.jpg

Found the other side
SAM_2037_zps5f5baa3b.jpg

Fin
SAM_2039_zps8b320ecb.jpg

Overall im happy with the result for mt first tank, done before the deadline and most importanlty. It is a finished kit in the display cabinet.

It's tiny but you made a great job. All the small ones I buy are built in minutes. I only take my time on the big stuff. that terrain looks so nice. Love the weathering work. Good job! ;)

That looks awesome webby, how did you do the water or the stream? and the silly putty is a great idea never though of that. what kinda did you use and anything else with it?

Cheers.

It's Secret Weapon which is marketed for miniature/war gaming builders but works really well in small amounts.
The silly puttys is OOB. Works really well but the ticker coat and darker pigments have left it a little worse for wear.

Latest posts

Back