Airfix BF 109 E-4/E-7 (Old tool) 1:72

Thanks Wouter.

I've finished the decals, the Airfix decals were great, but I tried to use two swastikas from an older 1:72 Hasegawa BF 109 E kit I had kicking around. That turned into a huge mess. I'll have to touch up the tail fin paint, maybe I'll just try to paint the swastikas...

Pictures soon.

J

That is looking real nice Jason ,the Yellow nose came out great :) Hows the decals going down on the raised detail ?

Chris.

Thanks for the comments and following along letsgobrowns82, rookie, Chris, Holden and Osquitz.

I did not have ay time to model today. I did try to make my own mask and test paint some swastikas yesterday. Didn't go well, so I decided to leave the tail fin naked. Got to get some after market decals for that politically sensitive area.

letsgobrowns82 said:
Cant wait to see the pics with the decals!

Here's the pictures with the decals.

Chris S said:
Hows the decals going down on the raised detail ?

They snuggled down nice with lots of MicroSol persuasion. ;D I only had a couple instances where I had to deal with trapped air bubbles under the decals.

Next up is dealing with the crappy can-o-pea fit. If I'd have known I might have bought a vac-form replacement. Then weathering. This is going to take a little longer than I thought.

Thanks, for stopping by and taking a look. Comments, questions and suggestions always welcome.

J

[attachment deleted by admin]

Big "Thanks" guys (John, Fork Virus, Todd and rookie). :)

I'm just playing with the build a bit and trying out some different techniques. I figure using a inexpensive kit whose mold dates from the seventies is just the thing, no stress, definitely not trying to make "the best, most perfect, absolutely accurate rendition of the BF 109 E-4 known to modellers everywhere". ;D

That being said I've repainted a few spots a couple times so far. That's ok. I've almost got the canopy fitting properly, I plan to paint its frame free hand. Maybe get some weathering done today even.

Thanks again.

J

Great work Jason. Man, I absolutely LoVE the color scheme on these. I must get one someday.

Scott Girvan said:
Great work Jason. Man, I absolutely LoVE the color scheme on these. I must get one someday.

Thanks Scott, me too (on the paint schemes, I've got enought BF 109 kits in 1:72 - last count I think I have 5 or 6 including the one I'm building).

I just got the the new tool Airfix BF109 E from ECH. In 1:72, it's a buy where you can't go wrong, nice panel lines, the detail is good for 1:72, an attractive colour scheme and only about $8 CAD. Easy on the wallet.

In 1:48 Airfix has a new tool kit also, but I'd like to build the Eduard BF 109E-1 kit, it's supposed to be the best 109 on the market.

Might not get alot done in the next couple weeks - final exams and lots of marking.

J

She looks great Jason !! I might even give mine a go :) ...Brilliant ;)

Chris.

Chris S said:
She looks great Jason !! I might even give mine a go :) ...Brilliant ;)

Chris.

Thanks Chris. I was looking around my stash when deciding to build this kit, and I thought to myself "maybe some time we should have a vintage kit GB". What do you think? Not sure what participation levels might be like...

J

Reckon that could be fun :) ....Vintage Airfix build ??

Chris.

How you are able to get such great detail on these tiny 1:72s just amazes me...very nice, thanks for putting them up here!

you know that saying "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything" well that's not really my problem with your build. I have so many great things to say, but the problem is everybody else has said them already.... I want to be original or something. hahaha

Anyways, really fantastic job!

Chris S said:
Reckon that could be fun :) ....Vintage Airfix build ?

I think that would be great. Some where around here I have Airfix kits for a Blenheim and a BV 141. Just build stuff for the paint, finish and fun.

Dagger6actual said:
How you are able to get such great detail on these tiny 1:72s just amazes me...very nice, thanks for putting them up here!

Thanks. Patience, and lots of masking tape. ;D

adampolo13 said:
you know that saying "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything" well that's not really my problem with your build. I have so many great things to say, but the problem is everybody else has said them already.... I want to be original or something. hahaha

Anyways, really fantastic job!

Wow, thanks Adam. :)

Latest posts

Back