Airfix BF 109 E-4/E-7 (Old tool) 1:72

JMac

cut. glue. paint. repeat.
OK, so my impatience got the better of me - I admit it. I worked a little on a couple of my already in process builds this morning, but just could not shake the urge to start a new model...The secret santa build is just too far away.

So I looked around the stash while waiting for my morning coffee to brew. I found a winner; quick, easy and not a lot of detail is the fare for today.

airfix-A02048A-messerschmitt-bf109e.jpg

I'm planning to build it up pretty much the same as the box art - (I like the German splinter schemes). It's all raised detail, but I'm ok with that.

Here's a picture (from a Google search) that someone else took of the box contents...
bf109_1.jpg

Jason

defo interested...the BF109 was my first wingy build this year (being a 1:32 Eduard BF109 E4) and I just love the looks of this plane! Looking forward to yours mate

Cheers

Thanks Wouter! :) I like the "One-oh-nine" also. I've built two others in the past, both in 1:48 scale (a T-2 and a G-6). Never built an Emil however...

Worked on this build just yesterday morning, I managed to close up the fuselage and get the wings attached. I'm on to filling the seams now. I've been able to preserve most of the upper surface raised detail so far, but the under surfaces will not be so lucky. As a side note the canopy fit is horrendous - probably the worst I've seen. Have to do some sizeable shim work to fix it.

Thanks for checking in and taking a look. Comments, suggestions and questions always welcome.

J

[attachment deleted by admin]

WOW ! That really is an old kit Jason . Think you have the know how to make a silk purse from a sows ear tho ;) ...keep at it mate .

Chris.

Thanks Letsgobowns82. :)

Chris S said:
WOW ! That really is an old kit Jason . Think you have the know how to make a silk purse from a sows ear tho ;) ...keep at it mate.

Yep, the inside of the fuselage was stamped 1976. I don't know about it being a sows ear, I've built worse (the Airfix DH.88 kit comes to mind).

Primed! Still have a few spots underneath to finish filling & sanding seams. But otherwise rolling along nicely.

J

Wow that was quick, normaly takes about 3 months to get to that stage..lol

Was black. Now it's blue! Well mostly blue, with a some black still. Finished up the RLM 65 blue surfaces yesterday. I'll be masking it up for the RLM 02 next. My goal is to have this finished in under two weeks (which would be a record for me) and still have it look not bad - doesn't have to look great, just good(ish). ;D

Thanks for all the comments and interest.

J

Chris S said:
Looking good Jason ...BoB scheme ?

Yep. But I think he prefers to be called "Robert". Just kidding... ;D I'm building the E-4 from the box art above.

I painted the RLM 02 and RLM 71 surfaces this evening. I've attached a picture of the paint so far. Next up is some details and the RLM 70. After that's done, the RLM 04 yellow follows, but that might take a while as I plan to mask it off, re-prime the nose and then spray the colour.

Thanks for looking. Comments, questions and suggestions are welcome.

J

JMac is that a small chunk of foam block I see wedged in the cockpit for painting purposes? Great idea if it is, I never thought of that.

Thanks chriss67. :) Normally I get stuck in a build right about now, this is just to be a fun, fast, fabrication of flabber-ghastly formed plastic. ;D

Glorfindel said:
JMac is that a small chunk of foam block I see wedged in the cockpit for painting purposes? Great idea if it is, I never thought of that.

Yep it is. I can't take credit for the idea - I saw someone else use foam to mask off a cowling opening.

Sorry BOB ;D ;D Splinter looks great mate ;) ...nice work :)

Chris.

Thanks Chris. :)

I was just kidding about that BoB thing. ;D Came up because I was showing my Dad the build thread (he had asked what I was working on) - he made a joke about it (his name is Robert).

I'm still painting. Finished up the RLM 04 yellow and some of the smaller details this morning. Sorry the pictures are a little crappier than usual - I just didn't feel like putting together my lights and photo set-up for a quick update, (I have a ton of non-modelling stuff to do today) :p .

Planning to start into the decals after some quick touchups. I should have the decals done in the next couple days.

Thanks for stopping by and taking a look. Comments, questions and suggestions are always welcome.

J

Ok, I've started placing the decals. I was intending to build this fast - but Airfix has included a TON of tee nee tiny decals on this thing. I count approximately 70 separate decals on a 1:72 scale kit :p. After two sessions on two different days I'm about 1/3rd of the way through. I'll post a picture when I get them all done.

BTW - The top portion of that decal sheet is stencils common to both of the two schemes.

J

Latest posts

Back