Airbrush and compressor

Jedit

Looking for opinions on what type of compressor and airbrush to buy for modeling. Alos, if anyone has any links to point me in the right direction, that would be great. Thank you in adnavce.

I have a Paasche Talon and a Badger Patriot but use the Talon 99% of the time .
You'll get plenty of different opinions on airbrushes -- more than plenty .

Amazon has a great deal on the Talon kit that gives you the 3 different spray tip / needle combinations .
This site won't show the Amazon link for some reason , just search Paasche Talon .

I use a regular compressor supplying an 11 gal storage tank so I can airbrush for a long while before running the compressor to recharge the tanks .
Specifically these 2 , with several inline filters / dryers :
https://www.harborfreight.com/air-t...-hand-carry-jobsite-air-compressor-64596.htmlhttps://www.harborfreight.com/air-t...-tanks/11-gallon-portable-air-tank-65595.html
But that's just me , and you'll get many different answers to this question .
I can't recommend an airbrush specific compressor setup since I've never had one .

I have a Paasche VL, it's a dual-action, siphon-feed brush. I didn't buy it necessarily for those features, though; I bought it second-hand at a flea market years ago, when I was getting ready to start using a brush. It's a quality brush, reliable and rugged. I have dropped it on the concrete floor in my basement without any damage. Paasche's support and customer service is very good, too. The only thing I don't like about the brush is that the paint cup has to dress to one side, either left or right. That means I can't quite hold it like a pen.

So I decided to look for a brush whose cup is in line with the brush, in the center. I mentioned that over at FineScale, and another forum member gave me one that he had, an Iwata Neo, wouldn't take anything for it. I needed to get a different hose, but otherwise, I've got the two now.

I use the Paasche more now for basic work, like priming, or applying base colors to a model, and the Iwata for more precise work.

As far as a compressor goes, I use a Craftsman 1 hp/125 psi compressor with a 3-gallon tank. I got that because I have air-powered tools in the garage and I don't have to worry about noise. I have considered getting an Iwata compressor, though, with dual connections so you can have two brushes going, and as quiet as a refrigerator compressor. One of the guys in our club demo'd it at a meeting, and it is truly that quiet. Then I'd keep the Craftsman in the garage permanently and keep the Iwata compressor at the bench.

Hope that helps!

Best regards,
Brad

Looking for opinions on what type of compressor and airbrush to buy for modeling. Alos, if anyone has any links to point me in the right direction, that would be great. Thank you in adnavce.
Hi Jedit, I'm fairly new to modeling but I will be buying a new compressor shortly. After a fair bit of research for a budget starter compressor, the one attached seems to offer the best in performance for a reasonable cost.
Irishvic/Pantherman

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220916-190151_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20220916-190151_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 4
You can also go to FineScale and do a search for an article that was published there about 10, 12 years ago, on making your own rig out of a Black and Decker tire pump, a pressure gauge and some miscellaneous plumbing fittings, and an air tank from the hardware store. I remember reading that and found it an interesting idea. I liked the DIY aspect of it.

When I was modeling before I used an iwata setup. They cost more, but I remember them being great products

When I was modeling before I used an iwata setup. They cost more, but I remember them being great products
I will eventually get an iwata setup or other top brand but I am just learning and practicing with a reasonable set until I source a little more cash. If you have the money then get a decent setup, I would.
Irishvic/Pantherman

Does anyone have any knowledge about this product? Seems perfect for scale modeling. A lot has changed since I last had a compressor lol.

What product ?

By the size of blank space on your post it looks like you wanted to post that important detail but it didn't happen .
I found the site won't post Amazon links for some reason ( maybe management isn't a Bezos fan )

Hit the Preview key at the top right before you post to make sure whatever it is will actually make it to the page .

What product ?

By the size of blank space on your post it looks like you wanted to post that important detail but it didn't happen .
I found the site won't post Amazon links for some reason ( maybe management isn't a Bezos fan )

Hit the Preview key at the top right before you post to make sure whatever it is will actually make it to the page .
I seen the post and had a look on amazon. It worked from my phone.
Irishvic/Pantherman

What product ?

Copy paste this in amazon: Anest Iwata Sparmax ARISM VIZ Airbrush Compressor

That is what I tried to paste

Hmmmmm
Ok , thanks , Panther .
Need to ask Blackbeard what's up .
I noticed this Amazon link thing months back ....

I don't see anything -- but it appears others can see whatever that is above ?

It’s right there? Has a link to Amazon?

Attachments

• 2EBD098D-85CA-44B1-9DE5-9EA4404A279B.png
    2EBD098D-85CA-44B1-9DE5-9EA4404A279B.png
    120.5 KB · Views: 3
It must only be showing on a mobile device .
I'm always on desktop

I see that attachment , just blank page for the other .

Nope

weird thing was when the page first loaded I saw the Amazon " a " for like a half second then it vanished .
Just a void now .

Latest posts

Back