Air Heller 1/72 Saab J29 \

ContestAdmin

Category: Air

Name of Build: Heller 1/72 Saab J29 "Tunnan"

Kit manufacturer: Heller

Scale: 1/72

Description
This is the first model I have built in 30 years. An old 1/72 Saab J29 "Tunnan" from Heller dating to about 1978. Not the prettiest moulded kit, most panel lines are raised, fit is questionable a lot of the time, but an interesting enough kit for my first build back in the hobby.

I modeled the kit after some photos I found online of existing "Tunnan's" rather than use the colour schemes in the instructions which were not really based on any sort of reality I could find.

In the cockpit I painted the colours and controls as per images I could find. I also took a shot at making a set of seat belts. In the end they were by no means scale, but they add a little something additional to look at. The masking of the canopy didn't turn out as I had hoped, but still not bad for my first attempt.

The plane was painted with Model Master Aluminum Plate Buffable Metalizer from a rattle can as I don't have an airbrush yet. The wheel-wells are matte black as per photos found online.

In the end I am really satisfied with the results. You have to start somewhere, and considering this build was completed in 3 weeks, without an airbrush, all hand painted or with a rattle can, with an ice cold skill set, I don't think it would be realistic of me to expect more. Eventually I will get an airbrush and work on the skill set required to use one and that should help take things to the next level. Add to that just building more to add more experience simply "doing", and the future looks bright. :)

The goal for this first build in 30 years was completion (under a tight deadline) not perfection. In the end I am perfectly happy with the results given where I started from. :D

Cheers, Mark

Sorry about the photos, they were taken on the last night in my bathroom as it was the only place with light and the Micro Sol still had not completely dried.

Final Images

IMG_1256_zpsb2c95429.jpg

IMG_1264_zps04883711.jpg

IMG_1258_zps19b598bd.jpg

IMG_1250_zpsbb7f5469.jpg

IMG_1255_zps7a1f37ef.jpg

IMG_1200_zps51553296.jpg

Latest posts

Back