AFV Club M1130 Stryker CV (Long Term Project)

andrei383

Hi all, I'm currently in the planning stages of a long term project which will be a diorama set in Afghanistan. My intention is to portray a M1130 commander working with an Air Force TACP team to call in air support.

Since the main focal point will be the AFV Club M1130, i would like to spend a lot more time with getting it to look the part. So I'm hoping this thread could be a place where I could gather references and information from others and eventually post a full build log of the kit!

Right now my biggest concern is slat armor and based on what I've read, there are some Strykers currently fielded without slat armor or just on the rear door. Can anyone provide more info on this? A full PE set of slat armor seems daunting, especially with my lack of experience (and money) :-[.

So if you can add anything useful to this thread: photos, first hand knowledge, model kit/PE recommendations, or even just words of encouragement, it will all be greatly appreciated! ;D

the wheels are fine they will look kust as good as the real model version once weathered.

the Slat armor is Very Daunting indeed i would love to do it but it prob looks more terrifing that it is.

well im looking forward to this andrei it sounds like it will be a fun project

as for the Bird Cage... its all about Time line ! Units deployed and The Treat level! You may have to look for Specific Reference book which would offer Dates and Areas ??? Internet pictures don't all have descriptions and Date stamps !!!

DSC03359.jpg
image from the net... sorry don't know where or whom from !!! for discussion only !
RMA-35228.jpg

I don't envy your job ! it looks very daunting !

but very rewarding in the end I am sure !!! Good luck !

thanks for the suggestions and links! ill try to find a reference book on the Strykers, im still planning to go with some photos ive seen where the Strykers have only the slat armor on rear door and scratch build that. ~60 EUR on PE slat is a sizable chunk of my scale model budget! :eek: but it still remains to be seen...

i havent actually started building anything yet, im still gathering references for the project. also, this is quite a busy time for me, im moving from on-campus dorms to an apartment and exams are coming up! :eek:

as for references, it never had occurred to me to check flickr for some photos, it seems partial slat armor is definitely a possibility!

front armor (and possibly rear) only:
6216606728_7154ae0974_z.jpg

the one in the background right has armor only on the rear door
4170279111_4ff76ee328_z.jpg

photos for discussion only, all copyrights to their respective owners

Very cool Pics i like teh idea of front and real slat armor

Latest posts

Back