after model is completed

04svt

thank god for thinner
Just wanted some input from yall. When ur done building and weathering your models do yall add any type of dull or flat coat to the model? I usually use future for the weathering process but i never finished the model with a flat or dull coat or even a matt varnish. Thanks

I'll usually put a sealer coat of some kind on, yes.
Depends on the model as to whether it's a dull/flat coat, semi-gloss, or full gloss

Ok thanks, i used some vallejo matt varnish the model looks alot better.

Is it just me or does anyone else get a slighty cloudy finish using the Vallejo Matt Varnish to seal and finish a model, is there a reason this is happening to me? Too think/heavy layers? Not thinned enough? Be interested to hear does anyone else have same problem.

Pearse

Hi Pearse,

I use Vallejo Matt varnish all the time,but it took me a couple of attempts to get it right. Make sure to shake the bottle well and thin it 50:50 with the vallejo airbrush thinner. Then really light coats. I usualy turn my model slightly so you get light shining off the surface, that way you can tell where your airbrushing. You just want ot wet the surface and no more. If you need to you can always do another coat when that one dries. Usually though, I find one is enough.

Chris

The original Vallejo Acrylic Matt Varnish will lighten things slightly, and I mean SLIGHTLY. This is normal for this type of media, but if its looks like you did a translucent coat of white, something went wrong. :)

Their newer Acrylic/Urethane one is I feel better in this respect, but needs careful cutting with either a small amount of distilled water or their glycol-based thinner. You can shoot it neat but the pressure needs to be rather high and you run the risk of a pebbly finish.

I just use a Rustoleum Clear Satin to seal my models when I'm done. It doesn't cloud or turn yellow in time. I know Testor's Dullcote had a nasty habit of turning yellow over a few years time and it totally made the model look dingy, but the Rustoleum doesn't yellow or cloud at all. Just make sure to cover any clear canopies or windows with masking tape before doing so or you end up with frosted glass! :)

Oh... and here's a little interesting tidbit or useless information... if all you have is gloss colors in your toolkit and you need a dull/flat color, crush some corn starch into a fine powder and mix it with your paint (I believe you can also use the Spray Starch for ironing, if you spray it into a cup its already a liquid). You'll end up with a flat color from a gloss! :)

Latest posts

Back