A pair of Scene Stealers--R2-D2 and BB-8

Quaralane

One last buildup before the Big Spring Contest gets started over at scalemodeladdict.com

This time, I'll be working with the 1/12 scale BB-8 and R2-D2 set from Bandai
R2-BB8-Bandai-00.jpg

A lot of sprue, for a couple of fairly small models.

The parts for BB-8
R2-BB8-Bandai-01.jpg
R2-BB8-Bandai-02.jpg

The parts for R2-D2
R2-BB8-Bandai-03.jpg
R2-BB8-Bandai-04.jpg
R2-BB8-Bandai-05.jpg

The bases and decal/sticker sheets
R2-BB8-Bandai-06.jpg

Now, I didn't really do any "in progress" pics on this build, so I'll apologize for that right now.
Both droids went together fairly quickly, although Artoo had his share of "fiddly bits" do deal with.

As far was paint, went, there wasn't much done to either of these two. I painted the antenna on BeBe, and the area around the red lensing for Artoo.
Only a couple of the kit decals were used on Artoo, and none on Bebe.
Bothe droids were given a black wash, with the excess wiped off, for detailing. This was followed by a coat of flat.
After the flat coat, the main "eye" lenses were given a coup-le of coats of Future to gloss them back up.

Finished build pics:
R2-BB8-Bandai-07.jpg
R2-BB8-Bandai-08.jpg
R2-BB8-Bandai-09.jpg
R2-BB8-Bandai-10.jpg
R2-BB8-Bandai-11.jpg
R2-BB8-Bandai-12.jpg

Youtube link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPWU9LX-cLM

....those are not the droids I'm looking for....

don't know why I just said that ?
Nice work on those
Cheers

must be losing it

Cool!

Is it possible, or at least not too hard to change out the display for these to include the arms/gadgets etc... or are you stuck with picking the add-ons and building them only that way?

Thanks, guys

blakeh1,
It's possible to display them with the attachments, or without.
Given that they're snap kits, it's not hard to swap out. I just chose not to

Looks good bro... Did R2 come with any chrome at all or is it just that gray/silverish plastic... been thinking of getting these myself... that's why I asked.

Nice Work.

I am curious if these two models are small enough in over all size that when built could then be desplayed inside a "Baseball Display Case", maybe each in its own case?
I'm referring to the type of case made for displaying autographed baseballs. The type I use for my autographed baseballs are well made with glass tops with a wood base.

I was thinking of bulding this set for my Grandson. He is too young yet to handle models, but he loves to look at them. So I thought that these would make a great addition to his growing collection.

Again "Nice Work" and thanks for sharing.

They might just fit. R2 stands about 4" tall when assembled.

And thank you for the compliment

Gotta love primer! As soon as you applied primer it graduated from a bunch of parts into a cohesive whole. Looks great.

These are the droids we are looking for. Chrome that dome Q! Your awesome at metal finish, it would look great.

Latest posts

Back