20,000 Leagues Over My Head

JohnnyO

Mobilis in mobili
My next project is going to be the Pegasus Hobbies 1:144 Nautilus submarine, from Jules Verne's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. I'm really excited to begin this project and see what I can accomplish.

I'll be the first to admit this project is going to be a bit of stretch for me. There are a number of techniques I'll need to master, and new skills I'll need to acquire if I'm going to complete this one. It is definitely a bit outside my comfort zone, but I figured I was up for a challenge this summer. This will be my first project using photoetched parts, as well as the first one to require more complex and detailed airbrush work. I've only gotten into the hobby seriously about a year ago, though I did do some projects back when I was a kid. You can get an idea of some of my previous completed projects here on the forums.

I'm going to post lots of details and pictures here in the hopes of collecting some good feedback, tips, and constructive criticism. Anything I can do to make this better will be greatly appreciated. Ideally, I'd like to enter this model into an IPMS contest in September, but we'll see how it goes between now and then.

To start, here are some photos of what I've got to work with. The main kit comes with 8 sprues, a clear plastic sprue, some photo etch, some window masks, and a resin vinyl base.

Last edited:
Spent the first evening familiarizing myself with the instructions and starting on the interior of the ship and the base. I'm not rushing anything, as that's usually when I get sloppy.

First step, I assembled the resin vinyl base to test for fit and to see how it looks. The base is a really amazing part of the kit, and one of the things that sold me on this model. You can see a picture of it dry fit below.

Question: Can I use the same primer I always use (Model Master Sandable Lacquer Primer, via airbrush) for resin vinyl as well? Or should I get a special resin vinyl primer? I'm planning on painting mostly with Model Master Enamels.

My plan is to work on painting the base and assembling the main body in parallel, so I can have one thing drying while I work on assembling the other. On that front, here is a current interior assembly dry fit. I'll likely prime this and start painting it when I next sit down at the bench. Current plan is to paint the walls/floor Gunship Gray, with a dark brown wooden color for the furniture.

Last edited:
this is the first time i have seen this kit out of the box and i am impressed with the detail of it thus far. i look forward to seeing regular updates on this project!

This looks like an amazing project. Can't wait to see your progress.

As for primer, I use automotive gray primer on all the various plastic mediums without issue. You can pick it up for just a few dollars and any auto parts store (pepboys, advance auto, autozone). Otherwise I use krylon or restoleum primer, works on everything but rubber.

BTW, you sure that is resin? Looks all styrene to me.

Ozzman78 said:
BTW, you sure that is resin? Looks all styrene to me.

My mistake. The squid base is actually vinyl, not resin (according to some other posters on other site). It's definitely flexible like vinyl So the appropriate question is, What is the best primer and paint options for vinyl?

See above. Automotive primer works great for any model material you encounter. If your not sure about this advice, its cheap enough to test out without a major investment.

Looking good, I used auto primer and have had good results like Ozz suggested brands such as Dupli primer. But after using a can of Tamiya primer it to me really seems to make a difference and sprays or covers so nice. Both work good but if I had my choice I would pick up a can of Tamiya primer its amazing and seems to last longer and cover more to me.

Mike

I have been swamped with work and other mundane obligations, and so I haven't progressed on this as much as I'd like, but it is still coming along.

I've been working on the interior in earnest, and a picture of the current state is below. It still needs a lot more work (the globe is the only interior part I consider done at this point) but it is progressing slowly, but surely.

VSeLZ8c.jpg

Very cool, saw this at the hobby shop and was wondering about it. That interior looks cool, and you could really mod it and add in some sweet details.

Just a quick update. I've painted the entire interior and hit it with a coat of Future. Next step will be an oil wash after the Future dries. Made one minor change. My wife said a Cpt. Nemo would totally have a red leather couch, so I repainted the sofa, which I think was a good call. Hopefully I'll get some time this weekend to make some serious progress.

q1l2K3h.jpg

Thanks for all the comments so far. I appreciate them.

I finished up the interior today, adding an oil wash over some of the furniture pieces and sealing it up. It's almost sad how little of this detail will be visible in the final model, but I think it was good practice.

I had some issues with the wash. I originally painted everything in Testors Enamels, then sealed it with Future. But my Future seal must not have been complete or fully dry, because when I did the oil wash (with oil paints and some mineral spirits) I still pulled up a little of the original paint in spots. Next time, I need to be more careful to get a full coat of future on everything, clearly a missed a few corners and such.

Below is the completed interior
o4pB9YS.jpg

And here she is all sealed up, to be installed in the main body of the Nautilus
EW4YDKf.jpg

Grendels said:
Are you going to put a few LED's in it?

I don't think so, mainly for time constraints.

First, as it stands, this is probably the most complex project I've attempted to date, and I didn't want to add even more to it. Second, I'd really like to get this done by the end of the summer for an IPMS show, and given things like family travel schedule, my work schedule, and other issues, I won't have a ton of time to devote (look how long just the interior took me!)

If I was starting again, and had more time to devote, there is an additional photoetch set, as well as some more lighting options out there that could be a really cool addition to the project.

You're off to a good start, Johnny, nice progress! I agree with your wife and the rest on the couch, too :D It's the Victorian period, so a reddish brown just seems most appropriate. You've really picked up the rest of the detail pretty well. A little bit of washing will make the rest of it pop.

As far as the base goes, there is an aftermarket resin base available, from Dan Golembiewski, trading as ODG Studios: http://www.odgstudios.com/ Dan makes excellent resin bases, among other things. Some of his pieces are sculpted by Paul Keefe. Even if you're not looking to add anything more to this build, it's worth having a look at Dan's site and catalog.

the Baron said:
As far as the base goes, there is an aftermarket resin base available, from Dan Golembiewski, trading as ODG Studios: http://www.odgstudios.com/ Dan makes excellent resin bases, among other things. Some of his pieces are sculpted by Paul Keefe. Even if you're not looking to add anything more to this build, it's worth having a look at Dan's site and catalog.

Found the base you are talking about via a Google search, its very nicely built. It looks like he even added some other custom elements to the ship as well, such as a Gatling Gun. Very impressive indeed.

I was planning on using the enclosed squid base, which I really like. It remains to be seen if I am up the challenge of giving it a nice paint job.

Dan and Paul are both members of our local model club, the Delaware Valley Scale Modelers, so I'm fortunate to see their work in person. They premiered the Nautilus and the base at Jerseyfest last year. I've got some of Dan's rubble bases set aside for some of my MaK builds.

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on your Nautilus!

Latest posts

Back