1974 AMX Javelin

Thanks again guys ;-)

Since this is a show car I really want the finish on it to be top class, and so I have a few spots on the body to clean up.

The line around the rear window, for some reason, is broken here. I'll get a straight line out and scribe that in.

IMG_20110828_224115.jpg

This section here on the edge of the spoiler had some flaws in the plastic that didn't reveal itself until the primer was laid down.

IMG_20110828_224128.jpg

A little cleanup needed by the trim here too

IMG_20110828_224214.jpg

The front has some heavy plastic protrusions that need sanded off. After checking references (as if i needed to really), the real car doesn't have this. ;-)

IMG_20110828_224145.jpg

The same thing applies here on the rear as well

IMG_20110828_224135.jpg

With all that cleaned up and out of the way, tomorrow will bring out another coat of primer, and after 6 or so hour of drying, I'll sand the finish down with mirco finishing sheets and then get on the BASE COAT.

I finally matched up the color too. The factory color is "copper" and so after trying to match up some "auto" specific model paints, I finally found Tamiya's copper to be the closest match. It has just enough "orange" in it and still maintain the copper color.

Here is a photo of the real car I'm replicating.

IMG_1903.jpg

When I was looking over the photos, I noticed some other flaws that I couldn't really see before, so just to be sure, I went through and took high res photos (10mp or better) of all the areas on the car so as not to miss any sloppy plastic or primer work. A trick I learned when doing scratch detail and photoetch to check for glue marks on aircraft finishes.

Thanks for tagging along as always. Catch you kids tomorrow.

Primer really had its advantage!!! will be waiting for the next update ;D

I got primer coat #2 on and still have a few more areas to touch up, then I'll add another coat of primer. Our motto is being modified slightly for this build. "The objective for this build IS perfection, not complete. haha!"

I would post photos, but they will look just like the ones I posted last time.

I did get the Alclad Gloss Back on the bumpers and wheels in preperation for the Chrome, and I got the first coat of interior color painted.

Back to the spray booth!

Thanks Norm ;)

After a nice vacation where I was in a wedding, attended another, and traveled extensively in the rain..., I'm back home and back at the work bench. In total I was gone for a good 1/2 month. I highly recommend it.

Admittedly, some of what you are about to see was done before I left, I just never got it posted.

I got all the surfaces cleared of nicks, and dings, and scratches, then hit it with more primer for some proper even-ness.

Some photos of the first round of color, and then some 3000 + grit sanding.

IMG_20110830_163438.jpg

IMG_20110830_163432.jpg

IMG_20110830_163446.jpg

IMG_20110830_125118.jpg

And after a final coat of color. Only some touch up to do on the bottom and the bumper.

IMG_20110916_102323.jpg

Moving on to the interior; I added the first layer of color which will be the "cream" color for the interior of the seats.

IMG_20110829_180313.jpg

Then some masking work once that layer dried...,

IMG_20110829_205634.jpg

...and then the second layer which is the seat color.

IMG_20110830_105328.jpg

I used Alclad's Gloss Black for the first time on these bumpers and wheels, and I have to say it's a very nice product. Easy to spray straight from the bottle. Does take (like all gloss colors I suppose) a good while to dry.

IMG_20110830_122054.jpg

IMG_20110830_122135.jpg

All the best, and thanks for following. Glad to be back at it.

Cheers

Nice to see you back at it Myke!! Looking forward to the new paint job coming up!!! ;) ;)

Nice restoration there Myke .Its always good to see an old kit get a second chance :). Hope the fingers have settled down a bit ...Ouch !!

Chris.

Thanks everyone.

@Chris - yea they are good now. Still sore but not swollen. Thanks ;)

ONE DAY..., I will be caught up with work and everything else, and finally able to check out what everyone else is doing on here. I feel like I'm missing loads.

I got the final color on, got some clear gloss on (Testors "wet look" 20 minute one coat lacquer), and then disaster.

IMG_20110922_101246.jpg

IMG_20110922_101238.jpg

I picked it up on the edges a little to early to move it and my big fat fingers squished up the paint work. BUGGAR!

I could not be happier with the rest of the paint work though. A near flawless finish.

So I'm off to do some sanding and touch up work. Shouldn't be a big deal, just a minor setback.

See the rest looks great....

IMG_20110922_101230.jpg

IMG_20110922_101253.jpg

Corrections and chrome work to be posted very soon.

All the best everyone.... Myke

The color look great Myke!!! Once you get past the 'side-step' you'll be home free!!! ;)

Nice work Myke, I am sure you will get it fixed!

My Dad had one of these, I want to see it done!

Latest posts

Back