1/72th Jagdtiger

nickt666

These are a few shots of a 1/72th scale Jagdtiger I built. it was an OOB dragon kit. Painted using a rush, this was my first attempt at 1/72th kits in more than 20 years. Decided to give this a go after finding this website. Will post more builds soon.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Use a liner brush to draw and outline your camo then use a small round sable to fill. This will allow you more control and a better scale effect to your camo schemes in this scale.

Ok, thanks for the advice. Would you have any pics of examples I could have a look at so I can see what it should look like? Thanks :)

Ahhhh, ok, I see. Thanks for the tip. I have just bought an airbrush & would like to give that a go on a kit soon. Any advice you can pass my way regarding that would also be much appreciated. Cheers. The halftrack looks great btw! Be great to see it when the diorama is complete!

In all honesty its better to hand paint most camo schemes in 1/72 unless it calls for a really feathered edge.

Thats a great looking little Jagdtiger ,I like to do armour in this scale myself sometimes ,a bit of practice with the Airbrush and you wont look for a brush again to do your camo ,I do most of my 1/72nd builds with the AB ,if you need to mask use blu-tack or silly putty , I do soft edge camo's freehand ,quite easy when you get the hang of your AB ,
Hope you dont mind a pic of one of my Tigers... its a Dragon kit .
T54.jpg

Keep at it ,I really like it .

Chris.

Wow Chris, that looks brilliant! Did you add your own zimmerit? That is such a clean build for 1/72nd! I have just built an Airfix 1/76th Tiger which I used an AB on, but it didnt turn out too well, so I covered it up with foliage & mud that I made from bicarb-soda, white glue & paint. That didnt work out too well either. It was a good experiment tho. I will post a pic of it. Anyway, your tiger looks awesome & please feel free to post any pics you want!
Cheers,
Nick

[attachment deleted by admin]

Dont be so hard on your self Nick,Thats a great little Tiggy .Airfix armour isnt the best tho' if youwant good 1/72nd then go for Dragon or Trumpeter . The Tiger I showed you is a Dragon kit ,it comes with the zimm moulded on ,they are excellent builds ,that one is straight out of the box ,I have a few more pics if you want .

Chris.

Chris S said:
Dont be so hard on your self Nick,Thats a great little Tiggy .Airfix armour isnt the best tho' if youwant good 1/72nd then go for Dragon or Trumpeter . The Tiger I showed you is a Dragon kit ,it comes with the zimm moulded on ,they are excellent builds ,that one is straight out of the box ,I have a few more pics if you want .

Chris.

Thanks Chris, The whole AB thing is totally new to me so I am still trying to work out how to use the thing. Hopefully will get better with practice. The Tiger you built is beautiful & I have to agree with you that Airfix probably dont make the best armour kits. Dragon do make excellent ones but I havent made a Trumpeter kit before, Ill keep an eye out. It would be great to see any pics youve got! 1/72-76th armour preferred! Haha

No problem Nick, I'll sort some for you tomorrow ,I have them on disc somewhere . That Tiger is actually on a small dio ,so I 'll get a few pics of that too ,but I'll start a new thread I dont want to take over yours mate . ;)

Chris.

ACE,

If you want weathering 101, find a construction site with some Caterpillar dozers out there & go lookin' around at them. That's as good as it gets. You will also notice that Rust never really collects on th trax that are in use. You may get some 1st. thing in the mornin' because of Morning dew, but that is quickly worn off once those Cats get moving around !! I work construction ( Commercial Plumber) & see those babies every day &take notice. Even th Diesel Fuel stains that run down th side & get dust collected ,mixed into it before it dries !!

Nick - You have a cool little Build ! I like it. Looks really good & th scale too ! I'd say you nailed it. Keep at it ... You just gotta Knock th Rust off & you'll get it !!

ERIK

yep, i've noticed that too, and sometimes the teeth will stick out of the caked out mud, shiny... beacuse of the constant grinding into the sand and dirt... but sometimes tanks don't have metal teeth, sometimes there tracks are rubber pads so they don't destroy asphalt roads and to give them a smoother ride.

You are quite right Ace ,rubber pads are fitted to tracks for use on roads or concrete, but the teeth on the sprockets and the guide teeth are always steel .
I repair heavy plant for a living and get loads of reference pic's if anybody wants some just shout .

Chris.

Chris S said:
You are quite right Ace ,rubber pads are fitted to tracks for use on roads or concrete, but the teeth on the sprockets and the guide teeth are always steel .
I repair heavy plant for a living and get loads of reference pic's if anybody wants some just shout .

Chris.

yep... they are always steel, the Cogwheels are always steel toothed so are the track guides beacuse its better to have them toothed, the "slave wheels" usually are padded with rubber to once again make the ride smoother since they are under riding pressure from the weight of the tank.

panzerace007 said:
ACE,

If you want weathering 101, find a construction site with some Caterpillar dozers out there & go lookin' around at them. That's as good as it gets. You will also notice that Rust never really collects on th trax that are in use. You may get some 1st. thing in the mornin' because of Morning dew, but that is quickly worn off once those Cats get moving around !! I work construction ( Commercial Plumber) & see those babies every day &take notice. Even th Diesel Fuel stains that run down th side & get dust collected ,mixed into it before it dries !!

Nick - You have a cool little Build ! I like it. Looks really good & th scale too ! I'd say you nailed it. Keep at it ... You just gotta Knock th Rust off & you'll get it !!

ERIK

Thanks Eric, thats great advice & it is something I would never have noticed! Ill keep those factors in mind for the next build. Thanks for the advice & kind words, any positive feedback keeps me wanting to keep building & improving! Cheers, Nick

Latest posts

Back