1/537 Reliant Project

Gregatron

Haven't had a chance to start a thread here on this build--feel free to catch up at Hobbytalk for the full story.

Here's the concise version:

I've decided to do a test run before beginning my 1/350 Refit. The repop of the Reliant is the logical choice, since it's a similar design. I've been working on it for a few weeks, now.

This will be my first lit model--I purchased the kit from Evans Lighting, although I could use some help in putting it all together. I've also accumulated a bunch of aftermarket decals and parts, including Paragrafix's excellent PE set.

I've been doing a lot of research, and I think I've pinned down many of the AMT kit's problems. Anyone care to name the problems they've found?

For starters, I've rescribed (or just plain scribed) the various missing/inaccurate hatches and panel lines on the lower saucer.

The upper saucer has a bigger problem. After careful study, I've determined that the upper deck's gridlines, the two hangar greeblie trenches, and the two deflector/sensor bits on either side of the B/C deck all need to be moved inward about 1/8". We're talking major plastic surgery.
I've been cutting and reassembling the parts, and it's a subtle-but-noticable improvement. Just having the deflector/sensor pieces properly aligned with the concentric gridlines adds a great deal to the overall look of the saucer.

Stuff292.jpg

The list of inaccuracies and mods goes on and on...

There's no lower impuse crystal on the real model--just a running light at the center of the spoked "hub" (which appears to have a flat surface on the real model, rather than the sloping surface of the kit).

The AMT kit's rollbar also sits too high, from bow-on, it should look more level, rather than arch-like.

I also noticed that the middle sections of the engine pylons (in-between the pennants and the phaser cannon mounts) are too wide, and slant forward at the wrong angle. So, I corrected this with files and putty. Also rescribed the panel lines on the pylons where the saucer meets the bases of the phaser cannons (on the R2 repop, these lines sit below the top edge of the saucer's upper deck--I think this is because they beefed up the thickness of the saucer).

I've determined that the nacelle pylons need to be moved forward about 1/4", and have been working on that.

This has entailed removing and completely rebuilding the wedge-shaped pylon spacer pieces on either side of the secondary hull, and also correcting their angles so that the pylons splay out at the proper angle. Oy!

Been sanding down the outer saucer rim--it's too flat and vertical, compared to the slant of the real model (no doubt due to Round 2's having to increase the thickness of the saucer for the repop). The top level of the DLM B/C deck is also way too tall, and I've been sanding it down, too.

I've been modifying the nacelles to house the Federation Models 1/537 intake grills, as well as narrowing the grill openings with strip styrene and putty. The black grills are much thinner on the real model. Still need to rebuild the red warp crystal housing areas behind the grills.
(Accuracy note: The red nacelle crystals glowed on the real model, even though we only ever saw Reliant in impulse mode. Unlike the Refit Enterprise, where the crystals only glowed when the warp engines--and inboard flux chiller grills--were active. I'll probably replicate this "error" in my build, which will also feature flux grills that can be turned on or off).

Straightened out the underside trapezoid with sheet styrene and Apoxie Sculpt so that it no longer matches the curvature of the lower saucer. I'll have to replace the raised detailing.

Re-angled the upper-deck "steps" on the saucer.

The five indentations on the "spine" of the upper deck (just forward of the impulse crystal) are too wide and too thin on the kit. I'm cutting out the whole area and rebuilding it with the proper proportions.

Made a bunch of custom decals:

* The "NCC-1864" that's on the rollbar pylon is too big. I shrunk it down, respaced the letters/numbers more accurately, and lengthened the hyphen (which is too short on all of the stock sheet's NCC numbers--except for the nacelles).

* "United Federation of Planets" is supposed to sit above the starboard rollbar's pylon's "NCC-1864". The stock sheet has "Starship U.S.S. Reliant". I replaced the wording, and made sure to get the spacing correct.

* On the other rollbar pylon, the wording is almost correct ("Starship U.S.S. Reliant), but is missing the small "NCC-1864" next to the name, and has incorrect spacing between the wording. I fixed this. Also note that this text is supposed to be readable from bow-on, whereas the registry and wording on the other pylon is readable from aft-on. Much like the "NCC-1701"s on the underside of the TOS Enterprise saucer.

* Created the blue "vents" for leading edges of the rollbar pylons (front/rear) and the fronts of the nacelle pylons. These were painted on the real model, and I therefore won't make them into actual recessed areas when I thicken the pylons.

* Reduced in size (and respaced the letters/numbers--and extended the hyphen) of the "Reliant NCC-1864" at the rear of the B/C deck.

* Created some phaser bank markings for the underside of the impulse housing.

* Made some sensor ring decals for the upper and lower saucer domes. Also printed a design for the little EVA hatches dotting the perimeter of the upper saucer, since they'd be a pain to scribe.

* Also used the 1/350 Refit decal sheet as the basis for a scaled-down decal sheet containing all of the red circles that surround the running lights, as well as those dozens of teeny red and black technical markings and squares.

* And, due to my continued tinkering with the aftermarket impulse engine housings, I modified the shape of impulse grill art that Paragrafix sent me, and reprinted those decals at the proper size.

Stuff304.jpg

Acquired a TWOK-style belt buckle to replicate Khan's pendant for the model's display base.

Stuff305.jpg

Misc006.jpg

Misc001.jpg

Misc002.jpg

Misc003.jpg

wow you are really going to town on this kit, is this the Revell re-pop btw?

Some serious accurisation work going on. Very interesting to see what you've done so far. Awesome stuff Gregatron. 8)

And just think, this one is supposed to be a BIG improvement on the original release!
I don't really care, I still remember how excited I was to have A N Y model kit of the Reliant!!!
I waited SO long for it. Ever since I saw TWOK in the theater I had to have one!!!!
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Been reworking the torpedo launcher assembly. Reduced the profile (the stock parts make it look fat instead of sleek), slimmed down the "spine" on the bottom half, and opened up the slots for the pylons.

I separated the pylons from the lower piece, so that they'll be separate from the torpedo assembly itself.

Well, I just spent the past few hours soldering and assembling the Evans Lighting board for the navigation and strobe lights. WHEW!

Pretty neat to see them all blinking correctly!

Glad to hear its up and running. That is a great little board. Your going along nicely.
Looking for to seeing all detail your putting into this one. Reliant is my fav next to the big E.

I did end up getting my own (1.6mm) LEDs, resistors, and shrink tubing, and so I had to wire them all up myself. The smaller LEDs will be easier to work with, and provide a better scale effect.

I intend to use Micro Krystal Kleer to create the actual "lights" protruding from the hull, with the LEDs seated directly beneath.

The Evans instructions/diagrams are not very studio-accurate in terms of colors and placement.

Gregatron said:
I intend to use Micro Krystal Kleer to create the actual "lights" protruding from the hull, with the LEDs seated directly beneath.

Do you know where this can be bought? I don't see it on Amazon.

It should be available at your local hobby shop, or you can get it from the Microscale website:

http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MI-9

Trekworks recently gave some useful tips on how to use for windows it in one of his Reliant build videos. I've used it for windows in the past, and also used it to make the bow saucer edge's blinker light on my 1/1000 second pilot Enterprise:

http://enterproject.wordpress.com/2010/10/07/second-pilot-enterprise-finished/

Going all out on this beauty. Nice one. And I like that belt buckle. 8)

Hi I don't know whether this would solve the problem here is how my favour modeller Steve Neills on youtube does it.
The video link is two the Martian war machine bills,

Pegasus Martian War Machine

As for the switch may I suggest a push on push off switch under A star trek communicator so you push the communicator to turn it on and off.
Hopefully this will help you looking forward to seeing is complete.
Alan re: mademodeller

Good progress. All you need to do on the wiring there is hook up a 9volt power supply where the battery is connected.
I would say rated at least 1400 mAh. That should be enough for all the LEDs you'll need.
If you just want to turn the whole thing on or off, just wire your switch in on either the plus or minus side of the power wires coming in. If you want to be able to turn off or on sections of the lighting like I did on mine, you'll need to put in a separate hot wire to each set of lights you want to switch. The ground wires can be the same to everything. So in effect with a switch you are just interupting the power to say the warp lights, the photon launcher the flashers etc.

Latest posts

Back