1/4 scale "3D Printed" Model T Hot Rod

Quaralane said:
On very nice rod there

Thank You for the kind words!

reddevildemo said:
Very nice, will you be making this a kit by chance?

Thanks, we didn't have any plans for a kit, it was more for fun than anything.

The Nylon Gag said:
Fantastic, i love large scale models

How much did it cost to print if you don't mind me asking.

Gag

We never really sat down and figured out the exact cost but in material and time I would assume well over 10k (my cost). The vacuum metalizing (chrome plating) would have been about $3500, but it was donated to us for marketing purposes.

CheesyGrin said:
So amazingly cool at every level - from the CAD to the final build! Thank you for sharing this.

What's the name of your 3D printing company?

Thanks!!! I have another few models that I will post here in the next couple days (one of them will really blow you away) ;D

Our company is called Cideas, but our web address is www.buildparts.com

JohnnyO said:
Very cool. Any chance you can post the design, on Thingiverse or somewhere similar? It might be a cool project to play around with.

Thanks, but unfortunately we don't share our CAD data since we use these for trade show/marketing models (plus they are very valuable due to the amount of time that was invested in them).

This is an awesome display of the power of 3D-printing. How on earth did you get the printed parts smooth enough for the chroming process? The rough texture is one of the biggest hangups most people have about printed parts, and I don't think I've ever seen anyone try the vacuum-plating process on a 3D part until now.

Joseph Osborn said:
This is an awesome display of the power of 3D-printing. How on earth did you get the printed parts smooth enough for the chroming process? The rough texture is one of the biggest hangups most people have about printed parts, and I don't think I've ever seen anyone try the vacuum-plating process on a 3D part until now.

Thanks!

It depends on the process, but basically the parts are hand sanded, then a two part polyurethane sand-able primer is applied, then sanded again... usually this step is repeated about 2 to 3 times until the layer lines are invisible. Its best when sanded to about a minimum 600 grit. With vacuum metalizing though, you have to be careful not to use putty or bondo, as this can cause bubbling if its touches the conductive coating/primer. I use a company in Michigan called Vacucoat (www.vacucoat.com).

We also have 3D printed parts Nickel Plated which is even tougher because some 3D printed parts are porous which is really bad for the electroplating vats. Its also pretty expensive...

I will post another model we built (much more impressive than the Rod) in a day or two. It has al ot of Nickel plating on it.

Latest posts

Back