1/4 scale "3D Printed" Model T Hot Rod

BuildParts

I used to be a huge model maker and kit basher, but started my own company about 15 years ago selling parts off 3D printers. I still love cars and need to show off our capabilities but haven't had time to build a model in years...

A few years ago I hooked up with an engineer who loves cars too. He designed a Model T Panel Van in Solidworks (3D Cad software) and shared images of it with me during a routine discussion... Anyway I finally talked him into letting me have the CAD data, but also had him change it from a van into a tub, then I had him chop the windshield and create a Keg like gas tank on the back....

Anyway sorry for the long intro I will start with the pics of the build...

Re: 100% 1/4 scale "3D Printed" Model T Hot Rod

Here is a Pic of the front wheel we built using a rigid ABS and an actual 3D printed elastomer.

[attachment deleted by admin]

The CAD was created by a guy named Bill Gould in California.

Originally it was drawn in CAD to be 1/8th scale (like the old Revell large scale rod), but I wanted to make it 1/4 scale... Here are both scaled parts off the machines together.

The model was built over the period of a year (it wasn't anything we were in a hurry for, it was to be a trade show model). So all the parts were strewn about the office... I finally got a bug up my butt, to locate all the parts and get them together for finishing ... this model had sat to long and needed to be completed.

A buddy of mine owns a Vacuum Metalizing company, I struck a deal with him to do all the Chrome plating on the plastic parts for free (Marketing deal, his company is called Vacucoat in Michigan). When they came back I realized that this model would look totally awesome....

The engine is starting to come together.... I eventually finished building and painting it in my garage at night...

The rear wheel is huge. Yes that was the largest cup McDonalds sold at the time, next to it! The Rear tire (unlike the front) is rigid ABS plastic with a soft touch plasti dip paint applied.

We finally got the Body, frame and main components in primer and she is truly taking shape here.... This car is more than I hoped for...

Well, it was time for a test build up... I finally decided on a color which was brutal to do... But flat silver was the winner.

That is so cool looking INTO can't wait to see the finished model

The Body was finally built and painted to match... My office looked like a model war zone LOL

I did the lenses in a process called SLA (a photopolymer that looks clear) then we tinted and polished them like the windshield. I decided on doing the headlights in clear instead of yellow in the end...

So here is the beginning of the final build up.... Keep in mind this was about 3 years ago, she now resides in our conference room... Everything on this model is 3D printed, which is still amazing even today.

At 3 feet long, it is hard to believe that it is all 3D printed.

So amazingly cool at every level - from the CAD to the final build! Thank you for sharing this.

What's the name of your 3D printing company?

Very cool. Any chance you can post the design, on Thingiverse or somewhere similar? It might be a cool project to play around with.

Latest posts

Back